ATCS question(s) involving Flint and Plymouth Subs

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

ATCS question(s) involving Flint and Plymouth Subs

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Morning all,

I received a new laptop from my parents for HS graduation, and my first order of business was to reinstall ATCS Monitor. Because I am going to MSU this fall, I thought it prudent to install the CN Flint and CSX Plymouth subs into the program.

In regards to the Flint Sub, I am showing multiple clear indications at the following stations:

Mill to Snow Yard in Lansing

East Shaftsburg to East Durand

However, there do not appear to be any trains near these areas. Is this something that is program related (the trains aren't showing up) or is the dispatcher actually inputting these in?

As for the Plymouth Sub, the layout I have goes as far as Lake Odessa. Is there one someplace that goes all the way to Plymouth? I couldn't find anything in the Yahoo Groups database but I wasn't sure if someone here had another way.

Thanks,

-NS
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: ATCS question(s) involving Flint and Plymouth Subs

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I'm a little rusty at ATCS as it has been about 14 years since my server in Ohio signed off the interwebs. Basically what you are seeing is the dispatcher fleeting the line. In other words it is basically in automatic mode and the route will remain clear until a train comes thru. Then the software in the back office of the dispatcher building will clear the route for the next train automatically behind it.

As long as no changes to the route are needed for a particular train they will stay in this autopilot mode until the dispatcher cancels the fleet command. For lack of a better term think of it as behaving like ABS dark territory where no outside input is required.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There are no ATCS layouts east of Lake Odessa because there is no ATCS beyond that point.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

From EE Lake Odessa to Ensel, its poor man's ABS over the wires. Ensel to MA might be ATCS but I've never hear one way or another. Trowbridge to the east is CTC over-the-wires. Mmmm codeline!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

SD80MAC wrote:There are no ATCS layouts east of Lake Odessa because there is no ATCS beyond that point.
Really? I did not know this. Thanks.

SousaKerry wrote:I'm a little rusty at ATCS as it has been about 14 years since my server in Ohio signed off the interwebs. Basically what you are seeing is the dispatcher fleeting the line. In other words it is basically in automatic mode and the route will remain clear until a train comes thru. Then the software in the back office of the dispatcher building will clear the route for the next train automatically behind it.

As long as no changes to the route are needed for a particular train they will stay in this autopilot mode until the dispatcher cancels the fleet command. For lack of a better term think of it as behaving like ABS dark territory where no outside input is required.
So basically, what I was seeing was automatic; the dispatcher wasn't actually imputing any of that? Interesting. I'll have to look into that more, as I'm not a signals guy. Thanks for the help!
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:There are no ATCS layouts east of Lake Odessa because there is no ATCS beyond that point.
Really? I did not know this. Thanks.

Yep, Lake Odessa to Ensel yard has no CTC ergo no ATCS at all. There are block signals but they are automatics and just relay block status to the crews with no input from the dispatcher. The crews get a track warrant by a form EC1 relayed over the radio for authorization to proceed over those 30 or so miles. Approx ch 121 (lako) to ch 92 (ensel).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX_Plymouth_Subdivision
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline