Man Hit, Killed in Hartford

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Man Hit, Killed in Hartford

Unread post by justin_gram »

Looks like Q326 hit someone this morning walking on the tracks in Hartford. This was near CG 66.

http://woodtv.com/2017/05/31/person-hit ... ea-closed/

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Man Hit, Killed in Hartford

Unread post by hoborich »

Time for the obligatory warning on the earbuds. "Earbud not for wearing while walking on railroad track".
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

I wonder if he was listening to Free Bird at the time?
And I have to wonder...back in the 90's when I was on the Barr and B-ville CP jobs there was a certain contingent in that area that laid all sorts of trash and ties and stuff on the tracks west of town down at the siding. Usually towards the east end of Kirk. One time it was spikes, hundreds on the rail, next time it was tie plates. One particularly scarey time was when someone laid a 6 foot length of rail on top of the rail. I looked at the engineer and said...this could be interesting...nothing we could do about it. Hit the rail with the pilot and threw it ahead of the train. It dove into the ground, THROUGH a tie and into the stone. The end whacked one of the gear box covers on the leader and we had to remove it and park it in the siding...
Sooooo...makes me wonder...has karma struck? Guess we'll never know.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

This happened almost on the 2-year anniversary of another incident, where a pedestrian wearing headphones while walking on the tracks was hit by a train in the same area on 6/1/15.
http://wwmt.com/news/local/person-hit-b ... W0MCS4YHCU
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

hoborich wrote:Time for the obligatory warning on the earbuds. "Earbud not for wearing while walking on railroad track".
Because the "No Trespassing" signs on the track ROW are working so well?

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

justalurker66 wrote:
hoborich wrote:Time for the obligatory warning on the earbuds. "Earbud not for wearing while walking on railroad track".
Because the "No Trespassing" signs on the track ROW are working so well?
Actually, the only locations you see those signs prominently are near bridges & large culverts. Infrequently have I noticed any others along the route,
especially near crossings, where trespassers might encounter them, as they enter private property.
justin_gram wrote:Looks like Q326 hit someone this morning walking on the tracks in Hartford. This was near CG 66.
He was struck near Sheppard rd, which doesn't actually cross the cracks, at MP CG 69.0, according people I talked with. Same basic spot where D700 struck a trespasser, doing the same unfortunate pastime, walking tracks while "ear-budding". So sad.

-barny

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

barnstormer wrote:Actually, the only locations you see those signs prominently are near bridges & large culverts. Infrequently have I noticed any others along the route, especially near crossings, where trespassers might encounter them, as they enter private property.
That is bold ... telling me what my experience has been. Thank you for sharing yours and noting that you have seen signs (even if your sightings are infrequent).

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

justalurker66 wrote:
barnstormer wrote:Actually, the only locations you see those signs prominently are near bridges & large culverts.
That is bold ... telling me what my experience has been.
Dude, relax. "You" wasn't specifically referring to just YOU.

And, he's right.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:
barnstormer wrote:Actually, the only locations you see those signs prominently are near bridges & large culverts.
That is bold ... telling me what my experience has been.
Dude, relax. "You" wasn't specifically referring to just YOU.

And, he's right.
Thank you, J T........And to you, Lurker.....I can afford to be so bold....to paraphrase the Master/Teacher from the latest Karate Kid movie;
"Your experience....needs more experience!"

And here's why: your comment was thus....
justalurker66 wrote:Because the "No Trespassing" signs on the track ROW are working so well?

Problem is, Lurker, there aren't ANY "NO TRESPASSING" signs that this individual would have encountered....none, nada, zilch, zip. Not for 10 miles from the direction he was traveling. In fact, he would have seen one only after traveling another 1.1 miles. But unfortunately, he didn't make it that far. I know well what signs are along the ROW, because I've worked that line for nearly 20 years. They are far fewer than you think; than your experience implies.

It is saddening that someone was killed, once again, while trespassing on RR property, walking between the gauge, with earbuds or headphones on & blaring. I can't imagine the family's distress and extreme sense of loss, because of an assumption that "they'd see any train coming", and get out of the way.....but forgot to keep their head on a swivel....truly sad....

And I know most of you stay in the clear when taking photos/videos...but just remember....don't compromise your safety just to get a great shot. Always know to expect ANY equipment, on ANY track, from ANY direction, at ANY time. And keep your head on a swivel.....'cause that's what we do....to stay safe.

-barny

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

The issue with these situations boils down to the same issue plaguing society right now, a lack of RESPECT. People don't have respect for the property of others, including the property of the railroads. If is not your property, and is not clearly marked as PUBLIC PROPERTY, then STAY OFF.

If feel bad someone died, but if they had respected the property of the railroad, this person would still be alive.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Scream at me all you like. It just displays your lack of maturity. Screaming at me does not invalidate my experience.

Perhaps those with the loudest rants didn't even understand my post. hoborich wrote: Time for the obligatory warning on the earbuds. "Earbud not for wearing while walking on railroad track". And I responded: Because the "No Trespassing" signs on the track ROW are working so well?

Take those lines to your English teacher and they can explain it to you. Perhaps you will have an a-ha moment. Or keep screaming on the internet like a junior high student or millennial (I have not figured out which is worse).

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Trespassing is hardly the issue. People often walk along the tracks in rural areas, and no signs are to be found. Is sad that someone died. But the real issue is that it is just the height of stupidity to walk along railroad tracks, with earbuds in and blasting loud music, oblivious to everything around you. Too many people just tune out the world with those ear buds. And it's not just trains. They walk out in front of cars and trucks and buses. This person was either hopelessly stupid, or suicidal. We'll never know. Idiots abound these days. I have had people in stores walk right into me while staring down at their phones.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The real issue is that it is just the height of stupidity to walk along railroad tracks [PERIOD].

With or without earbuds or other distractions walking on railroad tracks should not be done. The issue is where the person chose to walk. Blaming the earbuds makes it sound like the trespassing was acceptable conduct. It was not. It doesn't matter if 1000 people per day trespassed in that particular spot ... it does not make walking on the track acceptable. (Although I will note that there is a crowd mentality where when other people are trespassing it is easier for people to make the decision to trespass themselves.)

If one "must" trespass on a railroad ROW at least stay off the tracks.

"There wasn't a sign" or "the bulls never enforce trespassing here" are excuses. How is the general public supposed to understand the danger of trespassing on a railroad when people who are interested in trains and railroad operations don't seem to understand that one needs to STAY OFF OF THE TRACKS unless crossing at a legal crossing with no trains present or riding a train?

Earbuds are not the issue - being on the tracks is the issue. Tell your friends while they are still around to hear the message. Stay off the tracks.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I am going to try to stay above the name calling on this, and address one simple portion of the discussion.

"Trespassing is hardly the issue. People often walk along the tracks in rural areas, and no signs are to be found."

The following is the law regarding trespassing on railroad property.

MCL 462.273 Walking, riding, driving, or being upon or along right-of-way or yard; permission required; “right-of-way” defined; being upon, entering, or damaging buildings, rolling stock, or equipment; applicability of section; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

1) Except in the case of a right-of-way designated as a demonstration snowmobile trail in section 82126 of part 821 (snowmobiles) of the natural resources and environmental protection act, Act No. 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being section 324.82126 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, a person shall not walk, ride, drive, or be upon or along the right-of-way or yard of a railroad company operating its lines within this state, or go upon or cross the right-of-way or yard at a place other than a public or private crossing, unless having first obtained written permission from the owner or occupant railroad, its agent or servant.

(2) For purposes of this section, “right-of-way” means the track or roadbed owned by a railroad and that property owned by a railroad which is located on either side of its tracks and which is readily recognizable to a reasonable person as being railroad property or is reasonably identified as such by fencing, the existence of railroad tracks, or appropriate signs.

The simple fact is there don't have to be any signs present indicating no trespassing on railroad property. The right of way of the railroad is very clearly defined by state law as the existence of railroad tracks.

While you are correct many people in rural (and urban) areas do walk along the railroad tracks the simple fact is when they are doing so they are in fact trespassing and therefore are subject to being penalized as allowed by MCL 462.273.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

I never meant to imply that trespassing was OK. In this particular case, had he not been wearing the earbuds, he likely would be alive today.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Had he not been on the tracks he would not have been hit by this train.

Many people have been hit and killed by trains while not wearing ear buds.
Few people have been hit and killed by trains while not on the tracks.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There's a George Carlin joke in this comment :lol:
justalurker66 wrote:Few people have been hit and killed by trains while not on the tracks.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:There's a George Carlin joke in this comment :lol:
justalurker66 wrote:Few people have been hit and killed by trains while not on the tracks.
I was leaving room for some crazy comment about being hit by a derailed train. It happens (rarely). One is more likely to be hit by a train if one is on the tracks, (Stay off the tracks.)

And by off the tracks I include away from the tracks. It wasn't an element in the death reported in this thread, but there have been several recently reported collisions with people taking selfies with trains who knew the train was approaching but apparently didn't realize that the train was wider than the tracks. Don't be that person.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

In Murrica you can probably blame the ear bud manufacturer and sue them and win.
Brett

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

First off, I wasn't "screaming"......if I'd typed in all caps, that'd been one thing, but I didn't....

Secondly, as a railroad engineer who has hit a trespasser/suicide attempt (Sept. 11th, 2001, evening,) I know first-hand the sense of helplessness an engineer feels when having hit someone on the tracks....posted or not, they don't belong there, and are dying needlessly. If they'd only chosen a different path....

Thirdly, that "George Carlin" comment was hilarious....despite the serious nature of this thread.....almost rapidly exhaled my Coke!
AARR wrote:There's a George Carlin joke in this comment :lol:
Lastly, though trespassing is an issue (I had to warn kids just a couple days ago, with the long blast of the horn, that I was nearing them),
Hoborich is correct.....people are too focused on themselves to realize the unsafe condition they are placing themselves in...it's just that
with trains, the consequences are usually fatal....and our best efforts, (including Operation Lifesaver programs) seem to be ignored....with tragic results.

when will they learn???????

-barny