CN/UP Inspection Train South Bend Sub.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN/UP Inspection Train South Bend Sub.

Unread post by Manistique »

That UP inspection train went flying through Pontiac at 12:40 pm. Two UP units, ten cars including a dome and glassed observation car on the end. Units elephant style so they will have to wye it at MLW Jct if it is returning the way it came.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Currently sitting over 8 Mile.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

This train when it was in South Bend had competition too, the NS OCS train with 4 F units and cars went eastbound thru Osceola at 8:30 am. What would be the odds of that happening? Those west of the Joint Line got to see them both.

detroitbench
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by detroitbench »

Currently northbound on the Holly approaching Moterm.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

CN-UP Special, OS Royal Oak @1520, N.b.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

CN-UP Inspection Train OS MP 22.5 Holly at 3:30 pm. Entire train was wyed and headed back like the way it came.

kc8bdr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kc8bdr »

I caught them northbound at Williams Lake Rd at 3:43 PM.

For what it is worth Looking at ATCS, they are meeting what I believe to be 502 there at Durand
Jim

In Waterford, Michigan

Near Mile Post 32 on CN's Holly Subdivision

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Cleared Holly Diamond at 15:55

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Robertrains wrote:
GTW wrote:I understand the Train ride is a one way ride for the people aboard.

OK, I am wondering if it will "Dead Head" back west! I sure hope to catch this train today!!!! If anyone has has any "Updates," will help! I will not post using my phone in the field─but can check while "Trackside!!!!"
:)
Hey, Robbie, did you catch the inspection train at Troy Amtrak Station today. Its had UP2595 leading and UP9031 trailing?
Last edited by railrod1949 on Wed May 24, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

kc8bdr wrote:I caught UP 2595 & UP 9031 at Williams Lake Rd. (MP 32.1) here in Waterford at 12:26 PM.
Any shot (photo or video) of the inspection train crossing Williams Lake road in Waterford. That train had a Battle Creek engineer and a either Port Huron, or a Milwaukee Junction conductor and worked between Milwaukee Junction and Battle Creek.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

railrod1949 wrote:
Robertrains wrote:
GTW wrote:I understand the Train ride is a one way ride for the people aboard.

OK, I am wondering if it will "Dead Head" back west! I sure hope to catch this train today!!!! If anyone has has any "Updates," will help! I will not post using my phone in the field─but can check while "Trackside!!!!"
:)
Hey, Robbie, did you catch the inspection train at Troy Amtrak Station today. Its had UP2595 leading and UP8931 trailing?

YES I DID RODNEY!!!! OK, I was picked up early from work, then went to eat lunch at the new Chick-fil-A®! They have the "Best Chicken in the World!!!!" I got my food at Somerset® Mall at 12:00 noon. Somehow I thought I had a lot of time to then wait "Trackside!!!!" "Railfan Gary" was at his "Post" in Holly! He called me at 12:14 p.m. after he got it there! Now, I still thought there was time to spare─finished my lunch! We arrived at the Troy Amtrak® station at 12:44 p.m. and walked up the stairs! Good thing I looked behind me north down the tracks─THERE IT WAS VERY CLOSE!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: I "Whipped" out my camera (35mm Canon® T90™)!!!! Luckily it was already set for "Motor-drive!!!!" I took many pix as it "ZOOMED" by!!!! UP ET44AH #2595 and UP SD70AH #9031 led the ten nice "SHINY"
Union Pacific® passenger cars!!!! I got 18 pictures of this train there─and it was gone in a few seconds!!!! WOW!!!! :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Robertrains on Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

kc8bdr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kc8bdr »

railrod1949 wrote:
kc8bdr wrote:I caught UP 2595 & UP 9031 at Williams Lake Rd. (MP 32.1) here in Waterford at 12:26 PM.
Any shot (photo or video) of the inspection train crossing Williams Lake road in Waterford. That train had a Battle Creek engineer and a either Port Huron, or a Milwaukee Junction conductor and worked between Milwaukee Junction and Battle Creek.
Regrettably, I did not think of grabbing my camera, until it was going by northbound.
Jim

In Waterford, Michigan

Near Mile Post 32 on CN's Holly Subdivision

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

This was posted by Robert Borg on a comment thread on the Facebook page Michigan Railfans:

"It was here for container company Ying Ming. Looking to run a container train from West coast to Moterm with a UP/CN routing"

R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R.E.A.P.E.R. »

railrod1949 wrote:
kc8bdr wrote:That train had a Battle Creek engineer and a either Port Huron, or a Milwaukee Junction conductor and worked between Milwaukee Junction and Battle Creek.
Actually, it had a Battle Creek engineer and conductor.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Robertrains wrote:We arrived at the Troy Amtrak® station at 12:44 p.m. and walked up the stairs! Good thing I looked behind me north down the tracks─THERE IT WAS VERY CLOSE!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: I "Whipped" out my camera (35mm Canon® T90™)!!!! Luckily it was already set for "Motor-drive!!!!" I took many pix as it "ZOOMED" by!!!! UP ET44AH #2595 and UP SD70AH #9031 led the ten nice "SHINY" [/color]Union Pacific® passenger cars!!!! I got 18 pictures of this train there─and it was gone in a few seconds!!!! WOW!!!! :shock: :shock:
Could you post these pictures? Or are you shooting on film? I'm curious to see what the consist looked like.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

NS3322 wrote:
Robertrains wrote:We arrived at the Troy Amtrak® station at 12:44 p.m. and walked up the stairs! Good thing I looked behind me north down the tracks─THERE IT WAS VERY CLOSE!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: I "Whipped" out my camera (35mm Canon® T90™)!!!! Luckily it was already set for "Motor-drive!!!!" I took many pix as it "ZOOMED" by!!!! UP ET44AH #2595 and UP SD70AH #9031 led the ten nice "SHINY" [/color]Union Pacific® passenger cars!!!! I got 18 pictures of this train there─and it was gone in a few seconds!!!! WOW!!!! :shock: :shock:
Could you post these pictures? Or are you shooting on film? I'm curious to see what the consist looked like.
I've got a video in the Trip Reports if that'll do.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

NS3322 wrote:
Robertrains wrote:We arrived at the Troy Amtrak® station at 12:44 p.m. and walked up the stairs! Good thing I looked behind me north down the tracks─THERE IT WAS VERY CLOSE!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: I "Whipped" out my camera (35mm Canon® T90™)!!!! Luckily it was already set for "Motor-drive!!!!" I took many pix as it "ZOOMED" by!!!! UP ET44AH #2595 and UP SD70AH #9031 led the ten nice "SHINY" Union Pacific® passenger cars!!!! I got 18 pictures of this train there─and it was gone in a few seconds!!!! WOW!!!! :shock: :shock:

Well I could post these pictures after I "Develop/Scan" them NS3322! I love shooting trains only with my film cameras! My Dad (RCJ I) taught me when I was 6ix in 1990!!!!
I will shoot with film forever! If you look in my above post─I mentioned the 35mm camera I used!!!!
:mrgreen:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

This was posted by Robert Borg on a comment thread on the Facebook page Michigan Railfans:

"It was here for container company Ying Ming. Looking to run a container train from West coast to Moterm with a UP/CN routing"
Anybody know when this train will start? Daily Train?

Will it be just one way (West Coast to Detroit) or will it be a round trip train?

Wonder why Moterm. Where will West Coast containers go after arriving at Moterm I wonder. Local markets?

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for intermodal through Michigan as the port of Halifax expands as well as Toronto, Montreal, and other places from what I've read recently.

David Lang

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

David Lang wrote:

Anybody know when this train will start? Daily Train?

Will it be just one way (West Coast to Detroit) or will it be a round trip train?

Wonder why Moterm. Where will West Coast containers go after arriving at Moterm I wonder. Local markets?

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for intermodal through Michigan as the port of Halifax expands as well as Toronto, Montreal, and other places from what I've read recently.

David Lang
No clue on the intermodal trains, that's all the post said.

CN recently said that their western ports are expanding greatly and they are trying to prepare the intermodal terminals in Detroit and other places for increased container traffic. So we should be seeing some good intermodal traffic increasing with that and the UP train(s?) and the current Q116. The Q119 that has been extremely sporadic for a while now seems to be becoming a common sight, with one supposedly running tonight. So there's that too.