CN/UP Inspection Train South Bend Sub.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN/UP Inspection Train South Bend Sub.

Unread post by David Lang »

Good news about the West Coast Canadian ports. The problem with expanding operations for CN in Detroit (Moterm) is there is no physical room for expansion. A google map view will support this.

I heard someone say that old East Yard may be a potential candidate for intermodal. We will see what happens. Should be interesting. I am encouraged by the potential increase in business.

It occurs to me CN was doing something right in the 90s. I remember several intermodal trains - 142, 143, 144, 145, 148 (current), 149 (current), 150 & 151 (to and from the BNSF). I know the others have been gone for a long time, but I sometimes wonder what happened to them and why.

David Lang

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

David Lang wrote:Good news about the West Coast Canadian ports. The problem with expanding operations for CN in Detroit (Moterm) is there is no physical room for expansion. A google map view will support this.

I heard someone say that old East Yard may be a potential candidate for intermodal. We will see what happens. Should be interesting. I am encouraged by the potential increase in business.

It occurs to me CN was doing something right in the 90s. I remember several intermodal trains - 142, 143, 144, 145, 148 (current), 149 (current), 150 & 151 (to and from the BNSF). I know the others have been gone for a long time, but I sometimes wonder what happened to them and why.

David Lang
Yeah I remember hearing the East Yard rumor as well. I do notice on the maps that over by the old State Fair grounds next to the tracks there are trailers and containers, and the area is connected to Moterm Yard. Has it always been this way, or is this Moterm expanding on the other side of 8 Mile Road to hold more containers? It seems like a large vacant area, and only a small portion has the trailers and containers.

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wabash1070 »

Here's a screenshot of Moterm Yard. There is absolutely no room for expanding the yard. Where exactly is East Yard?
Attachments
Screenshot_20170526-225011.png
I'm here

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Wabash1070 wrote:Here's a screenshot of Moterm Yard. There is absolutely no room for expanding the yard. Where exactly is East Yard?
It's in Hamtramck, with Conant Street at the south end and Mt Elliot on the north end, on the east side of Conrail's North Yard (I think that's what it's called?).

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

atrainguy60 wrote:
Wabash1070 wrote:Here's a screenshot of Moterm Yard. There is absolutely no room for expanding the yard. Where exactly is East Yard?
It's in Hamtramck, with Conant Street at the south end and Mt Elliot on the north end, on the east side of Conrail's North Yard (I think that's what it's called?).
Found it thanks! It sure looks big enough for Intermodal use. I wonder if they would consider turning Pontiac into a Intermodal Yard
I'm here

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Wabash1070 wrote:
atrainguy60 wrote:
Found it thanks! It sure looks big enough for Intermodal use. I wonder if they would consider turning Pontiac into a Intermodal Yard
That would be interesting. It's no longer being used for autorack business, so maybe turn a large chunk into intermodal and just enough can be left for the carload business, or convert the whole thing and East Yard can be used for locals and carload business instead of Pontiac. Although East Yard probably has easier access to 75 and 94 since it's a lot closer.

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stinger4me »

East Yard is split between Detroit and Hamtramck. The former yard office was in Hamtramck on Conant Ave.. There was a small yard shack at the Mt. Elliott end of the yard, no heat, just a phone.

Stinger

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

atrainguy60 wrote: Yeah I remember hearing the East Yard rumor as well. I do notice on the maps that over by the old State Fair grounds next to the tracks there are trailers and containers, and the area is connected to Moterm Yard. Has it always been this way, or is this Moterm expanding on the other side of 8 Mile Road to hold more containers? It seems like a large vacant area, and only a small portion has the trailers and containers.
Expansion. The main reason was to move the truck entrance from Fair St (residential area) to an entrance on 8 mile to the former fair grounds. I believe the biggest constraint was space for staging containers which is greatly increased with the fair grounds expansion. May not be as efficient as other yards, but you can always unload and load well cars and then shove them down the thoroughfare to free up space to unload and load more cars.

detroitbench
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by detroitbench »

Kind of hard to tell what's going on here but I'm almost certain CN is building a new entrance to Moterm on the north side of M102. I believe big things are in store for Moterm and CN's container services, and use of the Detroit area in general. CN has been making major investments in the area, including all new signals on the Clem.
Attachments
IMG_2934.JPG

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

EDIT: Oh, I see, the current access is from just west of this (alleged) new entrance. Yeah, this would provide a more direct access, at least for truck traffic going westbound.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Just curious to know if anyone knows if the intermodal business is still a go, or if it fell through. So far there isn't anything new running, but I'm not sure if it's too soon or not.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

detroitbench wrote:Kind of hard to tell what's going on here but I'm almost certain CN is building a new entrance to Moterm on the north side of M102. I believe big things are in store for Moterm and CN's container services, and use of the Detroit area in general. CN has been making major investments in the area, including all new signals on the Clem.
:D :D Take a look at this entrance now (September 2017)!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

According to a article I was reading the new service from Long Beach, Calif. to Motern is to start in the late summer.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

GTW wrote:According to a article I was reading the new service from Long Beach, Calif. to Motern is to start in the late summer.
But isn't it fall now? Unless this is considered late summer, which would mean any day now.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

It was mentioned in the August issue of Railfan under the UP Mainline news.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

GTW wrote:It was mentioned in the August issue of Railfan under the UP Mainline news.
Dang, I don't think I got that one. That's great news about the intermodal business coming soon though. Hopefully we'll be seeing something soon!

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

This Summer or Summer of 2018?
GTW wrote:According to a article I was reading the new service from Long Beach, Calif. to Motern is to start in the late summer.
I'm here

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I believe it's summer of 2017.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

119 came out of Detroit tonight although it was put together much different than usual. All the power on the head end and not a single empty well to be seen. The last few years 118/119 would run across Michigan around the holidays here and there along with a few others but normally mostly empty. Has anyone heard if this might be a more regular thing with the work being done?

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

I saw a job posting yesterday from Union Pacific for a Market Development Consultant listed in Detroit. It was listed specifically as Sr Consultant MS if anyone goes to look for it. That kind of suggests to me progress on the new service. Does anyone know the status of upgrades at Moterm? The 140/141 has been a regular visitor for a couple months now so business must be on the upswing and there's at least some capacity available.