Volunteering at SRI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Volunteering at SRI

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Hey all,

In preparation for college, I decided it was time to plan ahead and try and figure out what I need to do to get ready (new job, extracurriculars, etc.). One thing that came to mind was volunteering at SRI in Owosso. I did a little research and I see that I need to be a member to volunteer, which isn't a problem. My question is, is it worth it? I've only been there twice and I don't really remember much since I was so young. I also want to be sure that I'll be able to learn and help out with whatever they need done.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks, and happy Sunday!

-NS
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: Volunteering at SRI

Unread post by SousaKerry »

SRI is nice but you will get more experience faster with a smaller outfit. SMRS for instance is always volunteer short and will put you on a crew almost immediately and in 3 or 4 trips you can be a certified brakeman if you pass the muster. Also don't be afraid to volunteer for the hard dirty jobs, nothing will get you respect faster then working shoulder to shoulder with the track crew. The guys who only show up on train day generally are not well respected.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Did SMRS have that spike hammering day or whatever it was?

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Yeah we just scaled it back a bit. We did put in 17 ties though.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"