Signals at South Lyon completely dark?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J3rsdm5
Speak softly and carry a big tripod

Signals at South Lyon completely dark?

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

Pardon my ignorance if this is really obvious, but as you can most likely see, I'm not here much.
Lately all signals at the West end of South Lyon have been completely off. Does this have something to do with the recent creation of the new D new trains?
Thanks
Last edited by J3rsdm5 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If it ain't all red, it ain't red at all"
Image JJRicks Studios

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Signals as South Lyon completely dark?

Unread post by hoborich »

Don't know about South Lyons, but many signals today are approach lit. Meaning they only come on when a train is due, and when the train passes the signals go out. Probably to save energy.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J3rsdm5 wrote:Pardon my ignorance if this is really obvious, but as you can most likely see, I'm not here much.
Lately all signals at the West end of South Lyon have been completely off. Does this have something to do with the recent creation of the new D new trains?
Thanks
It shouldn't have anything to do with the change in train frequency or anything. My hunch (never been to South Lyon) is that like most dispatcher-controlled signals on the former Pere Marquette, they're lit-when-lined. In other words, the signals at South Lyon will only illuminate if the dispatcher has coded in a signal, or there is occupancy in the block the signal is facing.

Thus this is completely normal, unless these were formerly constant-lit signals.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J3rsdm5

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

Saturnalia wrote:
J3rsdm5 wrote:Pardon my ignorance if this is really obvious, but as you can most likely see, I'm not here much.
Thanks
It shouldn't have anything to do with the change in train frequency or anything. My hunch (never been to South Lyon) is that like most dispatcher-controlled signals on the former Pere Marquette, they're lit-when-lined. In other words, the signals at South Lyon will only illuminate if the dispatcher has coded in a signal, or there is occupancy in the block the signal is facing.

Thus this is completely normal, unless these were formerly constant-lit signals.
Indeed they were, constant-lit, until around a week ago.
Image JJRicks Studios

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Probably to save energy.
More likely to save bulbs and the labor to replace them. Energy usage is negligible at 24v, takes more to keep the relays engaged.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Signals at South Lyon completely dark?

Unread post by NYCMan »

Doubt that CSX would spend any time or money converting the existing signals from constant-lighting to approach-lighting, given the fact that CSX recently filed an application with the FRA to REMOVE all of the signals and power switches between Plymouth and Grand Rapids and instead utilize Track Warrant Control. But, I have seen dumber things happen.

MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MRC_Andrew »

Now that you mention it, I believe the signals at John Hix and Newburgh have been dark occasionally, too, over the last couple weeks. I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me when I was last by there, or that the new as-yet-unactivated signals were blocking the heads of the old ones from my angle. There's been a lot of signal work going on over the last year or so, perhaps that has something to do with it?

J3rsdm5

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

NYCMan wrote:CSX recently filed an application with the FRA to REMOVE all of the signals and power switches between Plymouth and Grand Rapids and instead utilize Track Warrant Control.
Wait, WHAT? :cry:
One of the biggest reasons I was excited to move to Michigan last July was to ESCAPE track warrants and ABS territory.
Image JJRicks Studios

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

J3rsdm5 wrote:
NYCMan wrote:CSX recently filed an application with the FRA to REMOVE all of the signals and power switches between Plymouth and Grand Rapids and instead utilize Track Warrant Control.
One of the biggest reasons I was excited to move to Michigan last July was to ESCAPE track warrants and ABS territory.
I thought it was said FRA said no to removing the signals. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

J3rsdm5

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

atrainguy60 wrote:
J3rsdm5 wrote:
I thought it was said FRA said no to removing the signals. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.
I'd definitely like to know. Through the small amount of searching that I did, it looks like this occurred in 2013, but nothing has happened? I'm honestly not sure.
Image JJRicks Studios

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The application to take out the signals was denied not once, but now more recently, twice. This has been part of why CSX has been attempting to remove tonnage from the line: to get it to look better for conversion to dark territory.

Granted, the FRA doesn't take lightly to removing signal systems, especially CTC. Seeing as though they're still running "key" trains over the line regularly, that is, those trains with significant hazmat quantities, I seriously doubt the FRA would ever allow that line to have the signals removed.

I speculate that it is an attempt to get the Plymouth Sub out from needing PTC, or at least signalized PTC. It's supposed to be one of the last territories worked on, so the obvious idea is to save costs.

As far as most can see, they really don't have a chance with their petitions to get the signals turned off, but that hasn't prevented them from trying.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J3rsdm5

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

Saturnalia wrote: As far as most can see, they really don't have a chance with their petitions to get the signals turned off, but that hasn't prevented them from trying.
This bodes well, thank you for the clarification.
Image JJRicks Studios

RRguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRguy »

The signals at John Hix and Newburgh are only dark during equipment malfunctions, or a burnt bulb. The only recent one was Newburgh, (about 2 weeks ago) and that was only for an hour or so.