Michigan Transit Museum

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan Transit Museum

Unread post by NS3322 »

Do they still run through the Selfridge ANG base?
And is their Alco S1 (MTM 1807) operational?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Michigan Transit Museum

Unread post by AARR »

No, Selfridge stopped allowing them on the base shortly after 9/11 IIRC. They run from a park east of Gratiot to N. Ave. and back.

They ran the Baldwin last time I was there.

The volunteers are very friendly and it's a nice little ride with refreshments and a covered pavilion at the end.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

AARR is correct! They run from Joy Park to North Avenue and return on Sundays from first Sunday of June to last Sunday in October. MTM loco 1807 no longer operating.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It would have been very cool if they could have kept the east siding in from Mt. Clemens Station (now a museum) one mile to Elizabeth Rd. (where the Selfridge branch connected to the Mt. Clemens Sub) to at least the Selfridge Museum (about two miles inside Selfridge property). People could have rode from the station to museum and back.

Mt. Clemens Station has interesting historical information and Selfridge has a nice little museum and also former military aircraft static displays.

I created a paper railroad to this affect using ex-GTW 4930 as my engine and several former GTW passenger cars for the riders.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote: They run from a park east of Gratiot to N. Ave. and back.
So they don't run east of the Joy Park towards the base? I see there is gate across the tracks east of the Edsel Ford Freeway.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Yes, the train do run east of Joy Park to Lenfesty Road then to North Avenue and then back to Joy Park. No longer run between Lenfesty Road and I-94.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:It would have been very cool if they could have kept the east siding in from Mt. Clemens Station (now a museum) one mile to Elizabeth Rd. (where the Selfridge branch connected to the Mt. Clemens Sub) to at least the Selfridge Museum (about two miles inside Selfridge property). People could have rode from the station to museum and back.

Mt. Clemens Station has interesting historical information and Selfridge has a nice little museum and also former military aircraft static displays.

I created a paper railroad to this affect using ex-GTW 4930 as my engine and several former GTW passenger cars for the riders.
They probably get some FRA exemptions because of not being connected to the national rail network.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

They probably get some FRA exemptions because of not being connected to the national rail network.
I can't speak for MTM but on the SMRS we get some exemptions but not many and mostly they just leave us alone unless there is a complaint. Because we haul people and not cargo that puts us on the radar for certain programs. Technically we are not supposed to be hauling passengers over exempted track which means class 1 track rules apply.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Looks like MTM wants to extend their operating trackage. Does anyone have inside knowledge on this?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If Selfridge will allow them to operate on the base again they can pick up an additional 2 or so miles plus go past the very nicely done museum with static displays
NS3322 wrote:Looks like MTM wants to extend their operating trackage. Does anyone have inside knowledge on this?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:If Selfridge will allow them to operate on the base again they can pick up an additional 2 or so miles plus go past the very nicely done museum with static displays
NS3322 wrote:Looks like MTM wants to extend their operating trackage. Does anyone have inside knowledge on this?
I saw a post from their facebook page that they are looking at getting some quotes for trimming some trees on tracks that run through a neighborhood. Not sure where exactly this is in conjunction to the base.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The distance from Joy Park (their current eastern terminal) to Selfridge property line (the section they do not operate on) is less than a mile. It would be cool if Selfridge let them back on and even cooler if they could rebuild the one mile from the end of their existing track to the Mt. Clemens Depot/Museum 8)
MQT1223 wrote:
AARR wrote:If Selfridge will allow them to operate on the base again they can pick up an additional 2 or so miles plus go past the very nicely done museum with static displays
I saw a post from their facebook page that they are looking at getting some quotes for trimming some trees on tracks that run through a neighborhood. Not sure where exactly this is in conjunction to the base.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

NS3322 wrote: » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:10 pm
Do they still run through the Selfridge ANG base?
And is their Alco S1 (MTM 1807) operational?
railrod1949 wrote: » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:36 pm
Yes, the train do run east of Joy Park to Lenfesty Road then to North Avenue and then back to Joy Park. No longer run between Lenfesty Road and I-94.
OK, as it's been mentioned above─we don't go to Selfridge anymore, haven't since 2008! Now, our Alco S1 #1807 has been "Out of Service" for years; it is "Shoved" near the end of our track at "West Yard!" There are some other pieces of equipment also not being used (including boxcars) that can be seen from Elizabeth Street! It's a shame we don't have the money or enough workers to "Fix" this stuff! Here's our current "Operating" equipment: Baldwin RS4TC #4040, L-car #4450, CR Caboose #21160, "South Shore" Car #11!
MQT1223 wrote: » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:08 pm
NS3322 wrote: » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:09 pm
Looks like MTM wants to extend their operating trackage. Does anyone have inside knowledge on this?
Yeah, we are going east of Lenfesty Road once again this year!!!! The "Neighborhood" is the Trailer Parks beside the track! We will have the train go up to the "Selfridge Gate!" This is a lot better for a train ride!!!! :D Hopefully eventually we can have the train back on "Base!" Now, going to the gate gives us one ½ Mile longer trackage!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

─No "Joke!!!!"
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/