D705/D706

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

D705/D706

Unread post by Doktor No »

New train supposed to start April 1 (no not an April Fools joke...better not be anyway!). Out of Ensle for Toledo and back. 9AM call time supposedly. Probably not a turn but there for rest then return I assume.
Digest that. Taaa for now.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Re: D705/D706

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Digesting as instructed
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

D706 will be M-W-F. D705 will be T-Th-Weekend. Down one day, crew lays over and back the next. D708 will go back to turning at Howell/South Lyon like the old days. D707 going to nights.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Sounds too sensible.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

That actually is an idea that could move the freight over the road in one crew duty period. Pardon my ignorance but would it necessarily be a D train or could it be a Q train?
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Jetlink wrote:That actually is an idea that could move the freight over the road in one crew duty period. Pardon my ignorance but would it necessarily be a D train or could it be a Q train?
It is a D train so it can work enroute without incurring additional costs like a Q-train would. There's a decent chance it sounds like that these crews could be working at AnnPere and maybe Plymouth or other places along the line as needed.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Jetlink wrote:That actually is an idea that could move the freight over the road in one crew duty period. Pardon my ignorance but would it necessarily be a D train or could it be a Q train?
Running it as D job so they can stop and do work at certain places if necessary is my understanding.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Saturnalia wrote:
It is a D train so it can work enroute without incurring additional costs like a Q-train would. There's a decent chance it sounds like that these crews could be working at AnnPere and maybe Plymouth or other places along the line as needed.
I thought a Q train could make a limited # (seems like 3 sticks on the mind) of set outs/pick ups before additional costs were incurred. Perhaps I am mistaken or misunderstood someone's post a few years ago or something. Maybe one of the CSX folks could chime in.
interested in trains

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

A Dtrain gets road switcher rate of pay. Higher then thru freight. Anytime another type train does more then 3 setouts and/or pickups their pay goes to road switcher rate. Road switcher good pay!
I have no iodea what the logic for making a D or a Q or anything else but its better then the hairbrained MQRSL thing they had going. Me thinks some of the massive cutting in J-Ville was hacking off the branches that thought that crap up...along with the 28 hour day. DUH!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

So I want to make sure I understand how the "current" operations will be running now.

D708 will run Ensel to Howell/South Lyon to serve the customers between those two locations.

D707 will run Ensel to Grand Rapids.

Will D707 / D708 be daily trains or will they run 1 way 1 day, then the other direction the next day.

D706 will run M-W-F Ensel to Toledo taking the Lansing traffic to Toledo, plus doing possible pick-up / set out work at Plymouth, AnnPere, ect.

D705 will run T-Th-Sa (or Sun) Toledo to Ensel, possibly making pickups and setouts at the same places D706 works.

Now, for a manifest car doing from Manistee to Baltimore for example, the routing would be

Z151 from Marquette Rail to Wyoming Yard, then

D707 from Wyoming Yard to Ensel

D706 from Ensel to Toledo (admin edit change D705 to D706)

whatever train to run it east.

Is that a correct assumption because CSX no longer runs a Q train from Grand Rapids to Toledo?

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

Jetlink wrote:That actually is an idea that could move the freight over the road in one crew duty period....
Actually, no it wouldn't, because cars from GR would be taken on the local to Lansing, then go out from Lansing the next day
on the local to Toledo, thus making it 2 crews on-duty (back-to-back)....every time....at least....
Saturnalia wrote:
Jetlink wrote:...Pardon my ignorance but would it necessarily be a D train or could it be a Q train?
It is a D train so it can work en-route without incurring additional costs like a Q-train would. There's a decent chance it sounds like
that these crews could be working at Ann-Pere and maybe Plymouth or other places along the line as needed.
Actually, it's a "D" train because I heard that they don't want to start any new Q-trains....and it will go straight to Toledo one day, then go back to Lansing the next, with no stops at Plymouth, or any where else. The locals will work their usual assignments prior to when Q334/Q335 was abolished. The Toledo local won't work Plymouth, as that's what Q321/Q322 does. And yes, a "Q" train can make stops and work at Lansing and/or Plymouth, as we did long up to 15 (or so) years ago.

-barny

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

chapmaja wrote:So I want to make sure I understand how the "current" operations will be running now.

D708 will run Ensel to Howell/South Lyon to serve the customers between those two locations.

D707 will run Ensel to Grand Rapids.

Will D707 / D708 be daily trains or will they run 1 way 1 day, then the other direction the next day.

D706 will run M-W-F Ensel to Toledo taking the Lansing traffic to Toledo, plus doing possible pick-up / set out work at Plymouth, AnnPere, ect.

D705 will run T-Th-Sa (or Sun) Toledo to Ensel, possibly making pickups and setouts at the same places D706 works.

Now, for a manifest car doing from Manistee to Baltimore for example, the routing would be

Z151 from Marquette Rail to Wyoming Yard, then

D707 from Wyoming Yard to Ensel

D706 from Ensel to Toledo (admin edit change D705 to D706)

whatever train to run it east.

Is that a correct assumption because CSX no longer runs a Q train from Grand Rapids to Toledo?
D707 and D708 both still run Monday through Friday, 707 goes on duty at 9 pm and 708 at 10:30 am. 707 runs Ensel to GR and back while 708 runs Ensel to South Lyon (if necessary) and back. Your assumptions about 705 and 706 are correct, minus the work. Sounds like these trains are straight through trains. All of the GLC and Lansing based customer traffic is being rerouted to come out of Chicago on Q326, so it'll be shuttled to Lansing via 707. D707 is going to be an absolute monster now on certain days of the week.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

barnstormer wrote:
Jetlink wrote:That actually is an idea that could move the freight over the road in one crew duty period....
Actually, no it wouldn't, because cars from GR would be taken on the local to Lansing, then go out from Lansing the next day
on the local to Toledo, thus making it 2 crews on-duty (back-to-back)....every time....at least....
Good point. Yes it will take two crews in this scheme to get a car from TOL-GRP. I guess in my mind what I meant to state (but didn't) was that the job should be able to be reliably called and completed with out a re-crew. But still that's not as efficient as a TOL-GRP train. Except for the cars that need to get to Ensel. That saves those particular cars a back track and another crew from GRP - LAN.
barnstormer wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:
Jetlink wrote:...Pardon my ignorance but would it necessarily be a D train or could it be a Q train?
It is a D train so it can work en-route without incurring additional costs like a Q-train would. There's a decent chance it sounds like
that these crews could be working at Ann-Pere and maybe Plymouth or other places along the line as needed.
Actually, it's a "D" train because I heard that they don't want to start any new Q-trains....and it will go straight to Toledo one day, then go back to Lansing the next, with no stops at Plymouth, or any where else. The locals will work their usual assignments prior to when Q334/Q335 was abolished. The Toledo local won't work Plymouth, as that's what Q321/Q322 does. And yes, a "Q" train can make stops and work at Lansing and/or Plymouth, as we did long up to 15 (or so) years ago.

-barny
Thanks for the response, Barny.
Last edited by Jetlink on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
interested in trains

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

Since when does Q321 or Q322 work Plymouth?

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

CR900945 wrote:Since when does Q321 or Q322 work Plymouth?
They never have. Just comes straight through town.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Does Plymouth local traffic still go to the Rouge via Q392/Q399 and then by D717 which is a Plymouth North Yard to Rougemere turn?

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

GP30M4216 wrote:Does Plymouth local traffic still go to the Rouge via Q392/Q399 and then by D717 which is a Plymouth North Yard to Rougemere turn?
Yes, that's still the same. D717 now starts out of Wayne and brings autoracks with him to Rougmere, everything else hasn't changed.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

CR900945 wrote:Since when does Q321 or Q322 work Plymouth?
Sorry, Guys.....my misprint. I was working on another topic, and forgot to correct my error.
(I won't be checking 3 stories all at once in the future, it gets confusin'!)
Yes, D717 does bring cars from Detroit to/from Plymouth, and Q392/Q399 handles to Toledo....my bad!

"Hey, yous guys, whens I makes a mistakes, I says I makes a mistakes!"
(any similarity to a Philly accent here strictly intentional) :lol:

-barny

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

I heard 707 across the 104.3 last night at over 11k feet.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

KC8RBK wrote:I heard 707 across the 104.3 last night at over 11k feet.
Welp, time to update MQT's record board
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.