ILSX 1371

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

ILSX 1371

Unread post by NS3322 »

The White Pine Refinery in White Pine, Michigan had SW1 locomotive ILSX 1371 on the property up until it closed around 2009/2010. I have tried to locate the whereabouts of this locomotive with no luck. I found one reference on the Diesel Shop listing the locomotive on the roster of the Great Miami & Scioto RR in Ohio, but it was a dead end. Does anyone have any information on this loco?

Photo by Brian Ziegler

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Re: ILSX 1371

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

Good chance it's still sitting in the engine house at WP, I have never come across anyone ever seeing or reporting anything on this engine being moved on a outbound from WP.

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

kind of reminds me of when the dss&a rr historical society had copper range balwin s12 #200 stored in the white pine yard not very many people knew it was there now it is at the lake superior rr museum
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/S ... PineMI.htm

Currently the Copper Range S-12 #200 along with DSS&A RS-1 #101 are undergoing rebuilding at LSRM in Duluth, Along with MI., MN., WI. & OH. railfans & railroad retires starting again on June 4, 2017 work will commence All are welcome,
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Was told by a representative from Independent Locomotive Service that they sold the unit to White Pine Copper many years ago. When CN stopped maintaining the line the locomotive was offered up for sale. There were no takers because it is now basically land locked. It is very well maintained and is being stored inside.

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

NS3322 wrote:Was told by a representative from Independent Locomotive Service that they sold the unit to White Pine Copper many years ago. When CN stopped maintaining the line the locomotive was offered up for sale. There were no takers because it is now basically land locked. It is very well maintained and is being stored inside.
The WP refinery under it's new owners are exploring possibilities of reopening and processing the old tailings from the Copper Range mine days. Also the Copperwood mine in Wakefield township is suppose to begin construction of the new mine later in 2018, "pending permits", but the mine was already permitted 5 years ago, would just need to be amended for changes that have been made in how they plan to mine now. Not sure what CN intends to do with the line yet, if they will bring line back to operation or try selling off.