CN to Close the Escanaba Ore Dock

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CN to Close the Escanaba Ore Dock

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Another major UP Railroad fixture bites the dust...for now, at least.

http://upperpeninsula.biz/cn-close-esca ... end-april/
ESCANABA — The CN Railroad Ore Dock in Escanaba will close by the end of April. CN confirmed the move today with the city officials.

A CN spokesman told Escanaba City Manager Jim O’Toole that activity at the Escanaba ore dock has been very slow since Cliffs Natural Resources closed the Empire Mine last year. The Lakes Carriers’ Association says about 3.5 million tons of iron ore was shipped out of the Escanaba port in 2015.

State Rep. Beau LaFave (R-Iron Mountain) said he was told last week by a representative of CN Railroad that it planned to close the Escanaba dock. The company did not respond to our request for comment.

LaFave says he spoke to the official last week at an event in Lansing.

“I offered reasons on why they would be able to stay,” LaFave said. “I think there is a decent chance that that mine is going to come in in Menominee County so I said if that comes in wouldn’t you be able to transmit some of that stuff but I guess they did an economic analysis and unless the environment changes politically or economically they think it’s not going to be viable,”

The closure affects 12 union employees. O’Toole says he was told the employees will be able to transfer to other locations.

“I advised CN that if they needed any assistance in helping employees find other employment that they could call me and we would work with them,” O’Toole said.

He said the company will also be working on a redevelopment or reuse plan within the company for the property.

Iron ore has been shipped from Escanaba since 1852. It is the only iron ore port on Lake Michigan.

The Escanaba port allowed ore to be shipped earlier and later in the shipping seasons when the Soo Locks remained closed. It is also a vital alternative for ore shipments on the Great Lakes if the locks at Sault Ste. Marie were damaged or shutdown.
Until late last year, the dock received two loaded ore trains per day, U741 and U743, both loaded at Empire. Nothing has been run since, and it sounds like CN doesn't want to keep the dock open if their only shot at business is wintertime Tilden pellets.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN to Close the Escanaba Ore Dock

Unread post by AARR »

I recall reading some speculation that CN might bring ore from MN to Escanaba but apparently that's not happening :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I hope they at least keep it in place. If thats removed and there's ever a calamity with the Soo, I bet the government will be subsidizing the additional expense of whatever temporary alternative they find.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Just a link to the story in Railway Age:
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/fre ... docks.html

Unfortunate news. :(

torgy1962
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by torgy1962 »

I can't say that I'm surprised. Once Empire closed last summer, I wondered how long CN Escanaba would hang on.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The last ship, per BoatNerd, will be the Wilfred Sykes on Tuesday.

On-scene photos show a small pile of ore remaining, and several sets of Jennies sitting forlorn all lined up in the yard.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow