Amtrak Business Class

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak Business Class

Unread post by kenN »

I'm heading to Chicago from Kalamazoo on #353 next week. Can someone tell me which end of the train is Business Class? I hate to walk the platform with luggage. Thanks.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Amtrak Business Class

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AFAIK Business Class is in the Cafe car, which on the Wolverine is typically placed on one end of the consist. As for which end, east or west, that will be, there isn't any telling beforehand because it's just however the consist was setup.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

As stated above Business class is always on the end of the train. They will generally tell you where to board, but if you mess up it's only a 4-5 car walk anyway, so it's not terrible.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

The best way to find out, and it's not a guarantee, is to go down track-side and watch all the trains going thru town, taking note of the cars & their position for a few days just before your trip. You should be able to find out what train becomes what in Pontiac (and to some degree in Chicago) as well as if they're running around in Pontiac or Wye-ing. Once you know this information for the day or two before you trip, you can then catch the East-Bound train that turns into your West-Bound train on the day of your travel to know where the Business car is. However it's still not a guarantee; They could change how they turn the train that day, or drop a car, or who knows.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

With the current 1 unit set up it is harder to predict (as I view normally at least 2-3 Amtrak's a day). In general it seems they just wye the locomotive and run around at Pontiac, what happens in Chicago seems to depend on the day. Using 350/355 as an example (this one is easier to track because of the baggage car), when they go to PNT the baggage car stays on the same end of the train and they run around the set. The next day's 350 could have the baggagein the same position or the set could have been wyed. It seems they wye the entire set in Chicago most of the time, but sometimes it can come back the same way it ran the previous day.

Overall 2 points: 1 don't worry about it, you will likely not leave the building until the train is close and they will tell you where to board. (In my experience at ARB they almost always announce where business class should board)

2: if you are really worried about it go watch the previous nights 354 and see where the cafe car is. Thag is where the next day's 353's cafe will be.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Ypsi wrote:With the current 1 unit set up it is harder to predict (as I view normally at least 2-3 Amtrak's a day). In general it seems they just wye the locomotive and run around at Pontiac, what happens in Chicago seems to depend on the day. Using 350/355 as an example (this one is easier to track because of the baggage car), when they go to PNT the baggage car stays on the same end of the train and they run around the set. The next day's 350 could have the baggage in the same position or the set could have been wyed. It seems they wye the entire set in Chicago most of the time, but sometimes it can come back the same way it ran the previous day.
Which is why you need to pay attention to the entire train, not just the locomotives; compare, etc.
Ypsi wrote:Overall 2 points: 1 don't worry about it, you will likely not leave the building until the train is close and they will tell you where to board. (In my experience at ARB they almost always announce where business class should board)
Ever since they built that new platform in Ann Arbor, all boarding is done on the platform. So in that case, you know exactly where to board regardless of the accommodation or destination.
Ypsi wrote:2: if you are really worried about it go watch the previous nights 354 and see where the cafe car is. That is where the next day's 353's cafe will be.
If they just run around the engine then the Biz/Caf will stay on the end that it was on east bound (so if it was on the west end, trailing, of the train; it will still be on the west end, leading, on the return) but if they Wye the entire train then the Biz/Caf will be in the opposite position as the east bound trip (if it was on the west, trailing end outbound; it'll be on the east, trailing end inbound to Chicago.) Which is why you need a few day's worth of data points to figure out what they're doing in Pontiac. The Biz/Caf car will always be on the end of the revenue consist (so not counting locomotives & baggage, PV, etc).

peter
American Trainz Group

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

At ARB they normally open a door at the new platform and one down by the station door. If the business is at the ramp that's where business goes, if it's on the rear of the train it boards down low. At ARB they will normally announce business class boards at the ramp, or business class boards by the station doors. As for the rest of the quote you basically rephrased what I said more or less :lol:

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

The best bet would be to have someone note which side it is on the day you are riding at one of the stations or on the ground somewhere east of your boarding platform. I'm sure someone on this board would love having a specific purpose to validate their train watching for the day. :)
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

That'd be good. We board #353 Monday afternoon in Kalamazoo and leave home about 1pm, so I'll check this topic at the last minute before we leave. Thanks.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Then comes the odds of whether or not they're gonna board that car
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Tin can on the head end (west) of the train today

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Gee, I was hoping to hear back from KenN about whether he was able to find the business class car, and the obtain his opinion about whether it was worth the extra bucks to receive the first class service from a white linen jacket and white gloved attendant service Café Ole, crumpettes, and some fine wine with cheese.

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

White coat and crumpets on Amtrak? Not on Wolverine Business Class. The attendant never came to our seat. To get the complementary beverage, we had to walk a few steps to the cafe-car attendant at his counter. True, the Pepsi was free after signing the chit, but the at-your-seat service wasn't there.
Business Class on #353 was nearly full when we got on in Kalamazoo, so two seats together in the 2-1 seating were not available. We had to sit separately until a kind lady offered to change seats, which we appreciated.
We redeemed Guest Rewards Points to ride Business Class, so I cannot tell you how much extra money a BC ticket would cost. My thought would be that on a full train, BC is worth it for the bigger seat, and for the quietness--no traffic in the aisles, no loud talking or crying infants. On an "off" day with fewer travelers (ergo less noise), BC wouldn't be worth it for me.
By the way, the cafe car was at the back of our Chicago-bound train. All in all, though, it was a good trip. Fun to track the 110mph running with a GPS. Very smooth ride. No indication at all that we were going that fast.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

kenN wrote:White coat and crumpets on Amtrak? Not on Wolverine Business Class. The attendant never came to our seat. To get the complementary beverage, we had to walk a few steps to the cafe-car attendant at his counter. True, the Pepsi was free after signing the chit, but the at-your-seat service wasn't there.
At-seat service isn't a perk of Business Class, only First Class & Sleeper.

Perks for Business are:
- Extra Leg Room
- Complimentary non-alcoholic beverage
- Dedicated car or car section
- Access to the Metropolitan Lounges (I think you can also use the First Class Lounges)
The Michigan Services also provide:
- Leather seats
- Complimentary Newspaper

peter
American Trainz Group

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stinger4me »

I have been fortunate to get business class when traveling to Chicago from East Lansing and return. The best thing is being away from the riff-raff both ways, more the case on a return trip on Sunday from Chicago. I don't have a very positive attitude about the people who work for AMTRAK at Union Station. They appear to be bottom of the barrel. It is refreshing to sit back and unwind and enjoy a cocktail on the return trip. Just my $.02. When we have traveled by VIA Rail in Canada there is a world of difference in the staff and the service and passengers.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Well there you have it. You pays your money and you takes your chances! :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".