Sugar Beets and Tank cars

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Sugar Beets and Tank cars

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

Thanks for reading this, I am working on my Michigan Sugar Co. based on the one in Carrollton. I need to figure out what arrived in all the tank cars there while it was operating and what was stored in those 2 or 3 big tanks. I have some information but does not quite add up yet. I am not really into sugar beets, but this is the first phase of my layout and I need to have the correct tank cars. you can check out my progress on www.facebook.com/saginawterminaldocks later after I get more done you will be seeing videos on youtube. Thanks for any info on michgan sugar beets, processing, tanks, trains, etc...
Martin

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Sugar Beets and Tank cars

Unread post by AARR »

I think they shipped out molasses and liquid sugar products in tank cars. I don't know of anything that arrived in tank cars (but maybe I'm mistaken about the arrivals).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Based on what the sugar plant in Croswell ships, the tank cars would be for outbound molasses shipments. Inbound shipments might include beets (although not in tank cars :D ) and coal. Croswell trucked their coal in, I don't​ know how/if Carrollton would have brought in fuel for their boilers. Water (for the boilers) would've probably come from the river nearby, so chemicals to treat the water might be required, but whether or not those would ship by tank car would depend on how much water they would have needed for processing.
~ Charles W.

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I think they shipped out molasses and liquid sugar products in tank cars. I don't know of anything that arrived in tank cars (but maybe I'm mistaken about the arrivals).
Thanks AARR, That helps to have you option on tanks for being outbound. I have a molasses loading area and I guess I always assumed the larger tanks were inbound. But as my HO Michigan Sugar (Carrollton) develops I know what way to lean on the piping and tanks... I have been doing lots of research and questioning over the last 5 years trying to figure our what area of mid or northern michgiran to model, and you have answered many questions AARR. I did finally decided on Mershon (staging) north because it has the most concentrated train trackage, industries, and cramped track in my field of interest. All these factors make for good modeling... Thanks for your's and everybody else help over the years...
Thanks,
Martin

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Based on what the sugar plant in Croswell ships, the tank cars would be for outbound molasses shipments. Inbound shipments might include beets (although not in tank cars :D ) and coal. Croswell trucked their coal in, I don't​ know how/if Carrollton would have brought in fuel for their boilers. Water (for the boilers) would've probably come from the river nearby, so chemicals to treat the water might be required, but whether or not those would ship by tank car would depend on how much water they would have needed for processing.
Thanks GreatLakesRailFan, your input is appreciated. Carrollton did get coal by rail and I have a track for that, I have thought about fuel and glad you mentioned it, I am leaning to just assume they did you spice up the tank car appearances along with the chemicals to treat water ( any idea and what chemicals were / are used? ). Thanks!

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Sorry Martin, the treatment comments came from reading about other companies having to treat their water before being able to use it. I have no idea what kind of chemicals are used in the process, although I bet there are members here who would.

For the record, my comments were based on observations of traffic into/out of the plant at Croswell (mine and others), and things I've heard people mention over the years. I know the Croswell plant would get covered hoppers as well, but the general consensus was the best waste was being shipped out, possibly for use in animal feed(?). I don't know if the Carrollton plant did the same thing, but I seem to recall seeing up to 3 cars at the Croswell plant at a time.
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Covered hoppers are used for sugar beet pulp which is used as animal feed. According to their website they make more sugar beet pulp than molasses.

Bulk sugar products, if shipped by rail, could go in both covered hoppers and tank cars.
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:I don't know if the Carrollton plant did the same thing, but I seem to recall seeing up to 3 cars at the Croswell plant at a time.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

http://geo.msu.edu/extra/geogmich/beetindustry.html

Good article that explains process. I thought that the sugar from beets had to be bleached, but apparently not.