Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 5)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 5)

Unread post by twropr »

Now that the weather is getting more like spring, I would like to hear from you guys what type of work is taking place on the Michigan Line. Sometime this year we should see some speed upgrades, so any observations of signal dept. employees out there installing antennas and other devices for the ITCS would be indications that the project is moving along.
I do notice that since Amtrak took over dispatching of the MI Line west of Jackson that the trains have been making better time in that territory.
Andy
Jacksonville, FL

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 5)

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Up here at MTU we had a presentation this evening to the Railroad Engineering Club by some of the contractors who have been working on the line. There should be a video of the presentation at some point, but it sounds like there won't be much Civil work this year, at least, no contracts have been let. Probably all signals and ITCS, I imagine, but that wasn't their expertise.

Long story short, for now, the Kzoo-BC, BC-Jackson and Ypsi-Townline segments are done, track-wise. It's the worst part, Jackson to Ypsi, which needs the most work and is targeted for somewhere around 2018-2019 using state monies...unless Trump and Congress let funds fly sooner.

Pretty interesting engineering aspects. They did a LOT of modelling to figure out what was feasible, work with local communities, and good old hard work to re-align a lot of curves last year in particular.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Yeah I would love to see that video presentation. BTW if your Railroad Engineering Group ever needs any projects on a railroad, shoot me a message we have several projects on the SMRS we could use help with.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Are trains running 110 mph east of Kalamazoo to Jackson?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

NS3322 wrote:Are trains running 110 mph east of Kalamazoo to Jackson?
My understanding is Amtrak and the signal contractors aren't done with the ITCS system and dispatching cutover just yet. Sounds like its in the cards for this year, however.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Has the distracting been cut over east of Jackson? We have noticed signals not being called between lake and ypsi as of late on our scanner, which may be because they changed what channel they operate on.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

I've heard that Amtrak assumed dispatching between Ypsi and East Jackson about a week ago. I assume that under Amtrak rules, signal calling is not required.
Andy

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

you are correct. No more signal calling. Engineer does have to call back the detector message though.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

coasterrider wrote:you are correct. No more signal calling. Engineer does have to call back the detector message though.
I thought Amtrak engineers still had to call signals regardless so as to keep the conductor informed?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

When I rode to Battle Creek in fabuary and back, the conductor said that they no longer had to call signals however some of the engineers still do out of habit (probably not a bad habit to have).

What is the new frequency for Amtrak dispatching?
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Ypsi wrote:When I rode to Battle Creek in fabuary and back, the conductor said that they no longer had to call signals however some of the engineers still do out of habit (probably not a bad habit to have).

What is the new frequency for Amtrak dispatching?
161.505 Let me know if you hear anything
Andy
Jacksonville, FL

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Understand that new interlockings have been placed in service between Wayne and CP 28 (formerly CP Ypsi) - CP 21 and CP 25.
Are these universal (two) or single crossovers? Were these put in for the benefit of Amtrak or freight trains serving the nearby industries?
Despite the improvements speed is still limited to 70 MPH on TK 2 and is now down to 60 on TK 1 CP 21-25.
Andy

Avnx
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Avnx »

twropr wrote:Understand that new interlockings have been placed in service between Wayne and CP 28 (formerly CP Ypsi) - CP 21 and CP 25.
Are these universal (two) or single crossovers? Were these put in for the benefit of Amtrak or freight trains serving the nearby industries?
I haven't the slightest idea as to crossover alignment, but with it being located at the east end of Willow Run yard, my guess for CP 25 would be that it would allow easier access to get into and out of the yard without having to deal with hand throw switches and derails.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Amtrak crews aren't done in Kalamazoo. Currently at the intermediate signals at Oliver street near WMU installing new signals for two-way running on each track. What gives?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

NSSD70ACe wrote:Amtrak crews aren't done in Kalamazoo. Currently at the intermediate signals at Oliver street near WMU installing new signals for two-way running on each track. What gives?
You answered your own musing: if they're installing two-way signals, it is going to give them bi-directional capability between BO and the west end of the Double Track. They didn't do this the first time probably because BO to Comstock was still directional running. Now they're just completing what they started on the east end of town, the delay because it's all coming from different budgets due to different ownership.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

The other week I was scouting Jackson yard as I do whenever I am in the neighborhood. There are quite a bit of materials showing up near the old RIP track. Of coarse that area is inaccessible unless you want the po po called so I could not get close enough to tell what it was or if it is NS stuff or Amtrak.

Someone with a drone could probably get a better idea of what the stuff is without getting in trouble.. just sayin
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Saturnalia wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:Amtrak crews aren't done in Kalamazoo. Currently at the intermediate signals at Oliver street near WMU installing new signals for two-way running on each track. What gives?
You answered your own musing: if they're installing two-way signals, it is going to give them bi-directional capability between BO and the west end of the Double Track. They didn't do this the first time probably because BO to Comstock was still directional running. Now they're just completing what they started on the east end of town, the delay because it's all coming from different budgets due to different ownership.

What I meant was why do they need the capability? There are only 8 trains a day on that section. I know that they are hoping for greater frequency on the Michigan Line but I guess the two way running on that section west of the station seems unnecessary from my uninformed perspective. If you could explain that to me (no sarcasm intended) that would be great.

Would it be wrong to guess that they want to have it done so they are easily able to add more trains instead of waiting for the upgrades?

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

If the only change is a simple upgrading of one set of signals, why not do it for the flexibility? It isn't necessary, but it helps in cases where they'd want to put Amtrak down the "wrong main" to avoid track work or the Grand Elk. For instance now they could run an eastbound Amtrak up #1 and through town that way, allowing GDLK to hold Main #2 around BO.

Track capacity and flexibility isn't all about train counts. 4

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Probably the largest benefit would be for ease of dispatching trains in the even that one of the tracks was out of service for maintenance. There also would be some operational flexibility gained. Agree though probably not absolutely needed for current operations. It is nice to do things right though, especially if the signals needed to be replaced anyway.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

I was wrong about them adding a single head on each mast. They added two:

I apologize for the photo quality but I couldn't exactly stop.