Siemens SC-44 Chargers - Michigan Edition

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Re: Siemens SC-44 Chargers - Michigan Edition

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

justin_gram wrote:UP hasn't had the best of luck with LEDs...This may have something to do with this UP derailment that was caused by an LED signal back in 2014: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ntsb-crash
I mean, those are LED signals, not headlights, and UP still has tons of those.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

I found the trainorders forum that was referenced earlier about the LED headlights keeping the IDOT chargers from running on UP. Didn't the CalTrans chargers just recently test on UP property with LED headlights?

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?4,4203970
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Schteinkuh wrote:I found the trainorders forum that was referenced earlier about the LED headlights keeping the IDOT chargers from running on UP. Didn't the CalTrans chargers just recently test on UP property with LED headlights?

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?4,4203970
CalTran is testing some Chargers; but I'm not familiar enough with the track ownership out there to know who's track they're testing on. A friend of mine in IL was under the impression that the no LED rule is a local UP rule & not a system-wide rule. Regardless of UP's stance it shouldn't effect testing on the Michigan line.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

IIRC they've been training both Illinois and Michigan crews for the charger, so I guess it could go either way.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

According to the NGEC annual meeting on March 14th notes (available somewhere online, someone else mentioned this). The midwest states still do not have a leasing/operating agreement in place with Amtrak.

peter
American Trainz Group

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

PerRock wrote:According to the NGEC annual meeting on March 14th notes (available somewhere online, someone else mentioned this). The midwest states still do not have a leasing/operating agreement in place with Amtrak.

peter
They moved the original IDOT Charger out of CUS and took delivery of 4611 (I think) a few days ago.

Now for a couple updates on the design: The windows do provide terrible periphreal vision, but they are like that for FRA crash standard purposes. The ditchlights are excessively high up so that they don't get trashed when the engine clobbers a car. Also, a couple more useless facts for those interested, the air compressor runs off the HEP motor, and the strobes on the top operate in a manner comparable to those that used to be on F40PHs.

There have been defects reported on the CalTrans chargers such as slight electronic malfunctions (in the form of incorrect pressure and engine status readings on the MFD), and the locomotives overheating in idle.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Amtrak ran a test train with one of the Chargers on the Hiawatha Route today...look for testing on other routes, almost certainly including the Wolverine, before too long!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SD70ACe Fan »

Saturnalia wrote:Amtrak ran a test train with one of the Chargers on the Hiawatha Route today...look for testing on other routes, almost certainly including the Wolverine, before too long!
Is there a chance Amtrak will test the Siemens Charger(s) on the Blue Water route between Chicago and Port Huron (Via CN Flint Sub)?

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Look for a test on the PM route this weekend.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Typhoon wrote:Look for a test on the PM route this weekend.
Is there any particular reason that Amtrak chose the PM route instead of their own tracks, or did the PM engineers just happen to finish qualifying before the AML crews?

Either case, it probably won't be too long before we start to see the Chargers here. It should prove to be a very interesting experience.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Maybe they'll be testing on the Wolverine too but the PM just happened to work out first?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

I don't believe the Chargers have been equipped with ITCS yet - if this is true, that would be the reason why no testing has occurred yet Chicago-St Louis or Chicago-Detroit.
Andy

SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:Maybe they'll be testing on the Wolverine too but the PM just happened to work out first?
Any chance of testing on the Blue Water route?

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

If Andy is correct and these are not yet equipped with ITCS then they aren't able to get to the Blue Water route... since it's needed from Porter to Kzoo. Defeats the purpose of testing if the unit can't be properly used the entire way, which it would neeed to do if used for passenger service.

Though It does seem odd that they aren't equipped with ITCS right from California. Seems like they'd want these ready to use on the main route in Michigan. Prolly future ones will have it.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I don't know if this was already post somewhere here, but Ron on Michiganrailroads posted this on the GR, Pontiac, and Port Huron trips coming soon:

"Today, Saturday, April 29, Chicago to Grand Rapids, return to Chicago, Sunday, April 30.

I DO NOT know the times between Chicago and Grand Rapids, today, or Grand Rapids to Chicago, tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT, I did get the following information for next week:

AMTRAK Train.....#954 Chicago to Pontiac, Monday, May 1, 2017. Depart Chicago at 10:00 AM Central Time. Arrives Pontiac, 5:45 PM Eastern Time.
AMTRAK Train.....#959 Pontiac to Chicago, Tuesday, May 2, 2017. Depart Pontiac at 8:00 AM Eastern Time. Arrives Chicago 1:25 PM Central Time.

AMTRAK Train.....#960 Chicago to Port Huron, Wednesday, May 3, 2017. Depart Chicago at 10:00 AM Central Time. Arrives Port Huron 5:38 PM Eastern Time.
AMTRAK Train.....#963 Port Huron to Chicago, Thursday, May 4, 2017. Depart Port Huron at 7:45 AM Eastern Time. Arrives Chicago 1:10 PM Central Time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crew Familiarity Trips, I believe.

Station stops en route? Doubt it, other than at Battle Creek for crew changes.

They should have the 4611 leading for the eastbound trips.
Not sure if they'll turn the whole consist at Pontiac and Port Huron to have the 4611 leading the westbound trips.

I can only imagine that they WILL turn the trains so the 4611 leads in both the eastbound and westbound trips."

cbtrower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cbtrower »

So if I was going Monday, May 1st to see the demo units, what time would it be going through Wayne? If it will even to through Wayne... I'm pretty excited to see something new on the Michigan Line!!

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steamlogger »

The test train to GR just passed through Jenison, MI.

SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

atrainguy60 wrote:I don't know if this was already post somewhere here, but Ron on Michiganrailroads posted this on the GR, Pontiac, and Port Huron trips coming soon:

"Today, Saturday, April 29, Chicago to Grand Rapids, return to Chicago, Sunday, April 30.

I DO NOT know the times between Chicago and Grand Rapids, today, or Grand Rapids to Chicago, tomorrow.

BUT, I did get the following information for next week:

AMTRAK Train.....#954 Chicago to Pontiac, Monday, May 1, 2017. Depart Chicago at 10:00 AM Central Time. Arrives Pontiac, 5:45 PM Eastern Time.
AMTRAK Train.....#959 Pontiac to Chicago, Tuesday, May 2, 2017. Depart Pontiac at 8:00 AM Eastern Time. Arrives Chicago 1:25 PM Central Time.

AMTRAK Train.....#960 Chicago to Port Huron, Wednesday, May 3, 2017. Depart Chicago at 10:00 AM Central Time. Arrives Port Huron 5:38 PM Eastern Time.
AMTRAK Train.....#963 Port Huron to Chicago, Thursday, May 4, 2017. Depart Port Huron at 7:45 AM Eastern Time. Arrives Chicago 1:10 PM Central Time.

Crew Familiarity Trips, I believe.

Station stops en route? Doubt it, other than at Battle Creek for crew changes.

They should have the 4611 leading for the eastbound trips.
Not sure if they'll turn the whole consist at Pontiac and Port Huron to have the 4611 leading the westbound trips.

I can only imagine that they WILL turn the trains so the 4611 leads in both the eastbound and westbound trips."
I heard the Blue Water test train won't have the Charger leading due to no ITCS. Is that true?

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Since I suck at figuring out timing on this. Anyone have any guess as to when it'll will be passing Ann Arbor tomorrow? I work right next to the line & should be able to get trackside quite easily to see it.

peter
American Trainz Group

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

Yes, I also heard that due to no ITCS the Charger will not lead on the Wolverine/Blue Water. :( I'm sure some of the Chargers yet to be built will include ITCS, unless AMTK will put it in themselves.