Crossing Signals Stolen - Tuscola

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Crossing Signals Stolen - Tuscola

Unread post by mikerm19 »

http://www.wnem.com/story/34687636/rail ... or-thieves

Apparently we got some real morons here... Keep on the lookout for a cheap set of these on Craigslist all the sudden.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Crossing Signals Stolen - Tuscola

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Let me get this straight- they didn't just steal a set of crossbucks, they stole a crossing signal- crossbucks, flashers, last and all?

That's a lot more serious than the posts I saw on Facebook alluded to.
~ Charles W.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Nothing new here. In Detroit, this is common. Not only do the "locals" steal signals, they have been known to pull up rail and then sell it at one or more of the less-scrupulous scrap yards. What I truly enjoy is when the scrap thieves try to steal power cables leading into electric substations and the thieves get fried on the spot -- that is what I call Justice at its Best!

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

I'm not even mad. I'm actually pretty impressed. They took the whole thing!
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Not so sure it was a theft but maybe a coverup for a hit and run. The way that base is broken somebody must have hit the post pretty hard. Probobly a couple of rednecks in a truck with a few road beers hit it and threw the evidence in the back of the truck then took off.

If they were stealing it for resale just unbolt the base and remove it intact. Stealing for scrap why leave 5 pounds of aluminum behind.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

SousaKerry wrote:Not so sure it was a theft but maybe a coverup for a hit and run. The way that base is broken somebody must have hit the post pretty hard. Probobly a couple of rednecks in a truck with a few road beers hit it and threw the evidence in the back of the truck then took off.

If they were stealing it for resale just unbolt the base and remove it intact. Stealing for scrap why leave 5 pounds of aluminum behind.
That's an excellent observation, actually
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

It's gonna be kind of hard to get rid of.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Just plant it in the yard and hang flower pots from it. Hide it in plain sight.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

My guess it is just laying in a field somewhere. As it was stated .probably taken to cover up an
accident and tossed out somewhere.Ready,set,go fine it lol

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Not sure why anyone would take it to hide an accident. Hit it and leave it. "Oh look. Someone hit the crossing signal". Hit it and take it with you? "Wow. Someone hit the crossing signals and stole them". Now the police and foamers are hot on it. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Maybe someone hit the signal and left the scene, then later a rail fan or foamer swiped it.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

hoborich wrote:Not sure why anyone would take it to hide an accident. Hit it and leave it.
Given the area this took place in, it's entirely possible the driver was drunk when this took place. It's hard to prove someone hit the signal if the signal is gone, whereas there would be paint or other evidence that could be used to track down the signal if it was left at the scene. At this point, all anyone knows for sure (based on the article above) is that the signal was stolen. There's no evidence of anything else, other than the suspiciously missing signal, which is probably in somebody's scrap pile now.
~ Charles W.