Rifkin Ioron/Metal in Traverse City

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Rifkin Ioron/Metal in Traverse City

Unread post by TC Man »

I noticed today that the Rifkin scrap yard in Traverse City is now Beacon Recycling. I see Beacon has locations in Grand Rapids and Muskegon, but neither of them are located on a rail line. While the new TC location has a long siding complete with rail scale, I’m guessing they won’t use rail being that the other locations are not even on rail lines. Darn!
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Rifkin Ioron/Metal in Traverse City

Unread post by EWRice »

Don't loose hope. The muskegon location used to have tracks running on the north side (old gr&i mainline to gr). I seem to remember hearing that they were looking into using rail about the time the tracks along Keating were about to be pulled. Beacon was either too late, Rail America couldn't justify leaving them in for one customer, or there was some kind of disagreement. I know that the owner was disappointed that they pulled the tracks.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Doesn't look like there is hardly any rail business up there to begin with.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Just Amerhart in Bates. 100-125 carloads a year.
Waddy wrote:Doesn't look like there is hardly any rail business up there to begin with.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Waddy wrote:Doesn't look like there is hardly any rail business up there to begin with.
Which is why GLC has a marketing department- perhaps they will reach out to Beacon. They seem to do a pretty good job building business. If nothing is done to try, then you're comment will remain valid for years.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TC Man wrote:
Which is why GLC has a marketing department- perhaps they will reach out to Beacon. They seem to do a pretty good job building business. If nothing is done to try, then you're comment will remain valid for years.
And speaking of this, I emailed Beacon, and received this response minutes later: "....getting our feet set in Traverse City region- this is certainly something that will be very seriously considered". So, there's a chance!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GLC has done a great job building up new business especially around Cadillac. They've called on Traverse City prospects but for whatever reason they prefer trucks.
TC Man wrote:
TC Man wrote:
And speaking of this, I emailed Beacon, and received this response minutes later: "....getting our feet set in Traverse City region- this is certainly something that will be very seriously considered". So, there's a chance!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCBrent »

Hopefully they ship by rail! Would be nice to see trains come into Traverse City with more than 1-2 cars.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

A few months ago they brought in a 4 or 5 car unit train of lumber for Amerhart :lol:
TCBrent wrote:Hopefully they ship by rail! Would be nice to see trains come into Traverse City with more than 1-2 cars.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AARR wrote:A few months ago they brought in a 4 or 5 car unit train of lumber for Amerhart
Wow, I missed that one. I've lived in TC for over 40 years and the biggest consist I've seen was the ballast train last year with about 20 cars.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

That lumber "unit train" was 4 center beam cars and one bnsf box car. The 2 ballast trains were each 33 cars...

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

Is Biewer in McBain shipping chips by rail now? I saw a GLC train headed south at m46 this afternoon and it looked to have at least a dozen loaded chip hoppers. If not Biewer does anyone know where they came from and maybe where they were headed? I'll be at the Lake City mill Monday, maybe I should take the back way south and see what I can see from 66.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Yes, Biewer in McBain is shipping wood chips. It may not be a long term run but we'll see.
KC8RBK wrote:Is Biewer in McBain shipping chips by rail now? I saw a GLC train headed south at m46 this afternoon and it looked to have at least a dozen loaded chip hoppers. If not Biewer does anyone know where they came from and maybe where they were headed? I'll be at the Lake City mill Monday, maybe I should take the back way south and see what I can see from 66.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

It would be good for business if they find another outlet for chips. They normally curtail production based on the market for byproducts, not lumber. Until the laminate board plant opens next year they're only cutting just enough logs to fill their chip orders. The board plant is supposed to take a thousand loads of chips per week off the market. For now maybe if McBain is shipping to a different area both mills can run more. It's a nice thought anyway. My contact in Lake City said they were potentially adding another shift later this year but like any business nothing is set in stone.