Michigan Shore ROW work

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan Shore ROW work

Unread post by EWRice »

I had been noticing over the past few months that MS has been doing some repairs and upgrades in different spots along their tracks. A few weeks ago I noticed some heavy tree trimming along Seaway up to Airport rd. Last week some pretty heavy duty tree removal equipment was dropped off in Ferrysburg and they began widening the ROW. When I drove down 31 today, I noticed that most of the trees between 31 and the tracks were gone, from third st past Ridge ave to where the tracks move away from the freeway. Looking through the trees it looks like they cleared all the way to Vanwagoner. Its good to see G&W putting money into the line. Seems a bit excessive though. Curious stuff.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Shore ROW work

Unread post by EWRice »

After driving back from Holland and seeing what they are trimming, I don't believe it has anything to do with the RR. The trees being removed are all below power lines that run along the East side of the tracks. They are doing most of the work from the ROW though.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

They did the same thing north of VanWagoner to Sternberg last year. They also cleaned up a few other areas including between Robbins Road and Taylor street in Grand Haven. I don't think it has a lot to do with RR ROW. Much of this length has several utilities, including the power lines. There is also a pipeline that follows the ROW between Grand Haven, and Muskegon.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

That ROW probably has not been "widened" since CSX leased\sold it off back 10+ years ago.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Consumers Energy / MTC/ ITC have been aggressively clearing and herbiciding the big power line corridors around west MI.