GLC Boardmann Yard

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

GLC Boardmann Yard

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So I was looking at the remaining trackage in the Traverse City area and noticed this small yard next to Boardmann Lake. As I understand it this is what's left of the C&O's Boardmann Yard. Does GLC still use it for anything and is anything really left of it? I noticed there is a small wye attached to the yard as well as what appears to be a two stall engine house unless I'm looking at a concrete slab.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GLC Boardmann Yard

Unread post by AARR »

All that's left of Boardman Yard is a passing siding.

There's a wye track that used to go to the State Hospital but it's in poor shape and one of the legs (or both) might be disconnected.

No engine house in Traverse City that I can recall. The old line to Northpointe might have had one but it's either gone or not in use.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

The passing siding and wye are left. Wye is still fully connected. Engine house was torn down in the late 90's. You can see a concrete pad in Google Earth where it stood.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCBrent »

Seems to me the engine house was torn down a lot more recently than the late 90's? I'd say its been within the last 10 years.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I want to say the engine house came down in 2005 or 2006.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Sorry, that was the steam building and old yard office (that burnt, then the steam building was torn down). The engine house was torn down in 2007 (plans approved in 11/2006). The concrete pad and surrounding soil was dug up in 2008, and a new concrete pad (2 feet thick) was poured to keep the contaminates contained (years of oil, grease, etc).
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.