Amtrak Train-Pedestrian Fatality 01/23/2017

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak Train-Pedestrian Fatality 01/23/2017

Unread post by NYCMan »

Wolverine apparently took down a pedestrian today near Dexter. If memory serves me correctly, there was a similar train-pedestrian fatality during 2016 at or very near this same location. Prior incident was deemed a suicide.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... iver_index

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak Train-Pedestrian Fatality 01/23/2017

Unread post by chapmaja »

The victim in this case was apparently walking along the tracks with headphones on and did not hear the horn blasting before the victim was struck and killed.

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stinger4me »

Headphone induced natural selection with power assist from AMTRAK.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Walking along railroad tracks, with headphones on? Words fail me!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

chapmaja wrote:The victim in this case was apparently walking along the tracks with headphones on and did not hear the horn blasting before the victim was struck and killed.
What truly amazes me is this is former double-track territory, now single-track... leaving a nice path on the grade where the former track used to sit. Why in earth you need to walk in the gauge in this case is completely beyond me.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

It is not a question of "why". Trespassing on railroad right-of-way is illegal under law. There is sound wisdom behind why the Legislature makes it illegal. On the one hand, the "goodie, goodie" people out there say that railroad tracks make nice jogging trails and "it don't hurt nuthin'" for them to use those "trails." On the other hand, railfans say "I have a God-given right to trespass on railroad property to get my Kodak moments." But, the laws of physics always prevail -- the train is mightier than the jogger and the foamer. It only takes a "dumb second" for someone to be killed because they were on the railroad right-of-way but should not have been. Then, comes the next chapter. A train crew that is traumatized by the event. Then, followed, by the lawsuits that the next of kin always seems to bring because "the big bad train did not stop in time."

It is a vicious circle. As a claims agent, I handled many such a claim during my railroading days.

People are always willing to blame someone else (in this case, the railroad) for their blatant stupidity.

It is not a question of "why trespass?". One should never trespass. The railroad environment is inherently dangerous. But, people do it every day... and die everyday as a result.