A few questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kd8ati
Railroadfan...fan

A few questions

Unread post by kd8ati »

Hey had a few questions for what appears to be the best source of information right now... Google isn't doing the trick. Hopefully you guys will know.

I recently read an article saying the construction on the Wolverine line was completed. Does this mean that the Dearborn Hgts - IN state line (?) portion is now all 110mph? If not, then what part of it currently is?

What is the latest news on the new locomotives for the Wolverine line that are expected to replace the P42's. Any time frame on when we can expect to see them enter service?

Saving the most anticipated for last... what is the latest news on the new bi-level cars that were going to replace the current sets? Any time frame on them?

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can provide!

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Re: A few questions

Unread post by Steve B »

The only part I know the answer to is that the 110 MPH territory remains confined to between Porter, IN and Kalamazoo (most of that stretch). If you're able to take a ride on one of the trains and have a smartphone, you can use a free app like DigiHUD to see how fast you're going.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The work on the Kalamazoo-Dearborn isn't finished yet. They did a LOT of engineering work last summer re-aligning curves, setting up new signals, and the like, but aren't yet finished. The BO Tower to Battle Creek section sounds finished in terms of track and signals, but I haven't heard anything about ITCS or PTC operable yet allowing them to raise the speeds. Surely, there hasn't been any adjustment in speeds yet.

Very little between Kzoo and Detroit will be 110. Too many curves. They're doing what they can to raise speeds, but it only helps so much.

The new Chargers are due in later this year into 2018 IIRC

The new Bi-levels are in somewhat limbo, after several failed stress tests on their frames. Engineers are working hard, but the funding is due to expire at the end of 2017. Those funds will likely need to be reauthorized by Congress. At any rate, they're woefully behind schedule, while those Chargers are in actual testing in Pueblo now.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Saturnalia wrote:The work on the Kalamazoo-Dearborn isn't finished yet. They did a LOT of engineering work last summer re-aligning curves, setting up new signals, and the like, but aren't yet finished. The BO Tower to Battle Creek section sounds finished in terms of track and signals, but I haven't heard anything about ITCS or PTC operable yet allowing them to raise the speeds. Surely, there hasn't been any adjustment in speeds yet.

Very little between Kzoo and Detroit will be 110. Too many curves. They're doing what they can to raise speeds, but it only helps so much.

The new Chargers are due in later this year into 2018 IIRC

The new Bi-levels are in somewhat limbo, after several failed stress tests on their frames. Engineers are working hard, but the funding is due to expire at the end of 2017. Those funds will likely need to be reauthorized by Congress. At any rate, they're woefully behind schedule, while those Chargers are in actual testing in Pueblo now.
Most of Alex's information is up-to-date, and here's what I know.

Amtrak had a Charger in Chicago now for training. My guess is a couple months we will start to see them filter into service, granted that the testing in Pueblo is completed on schedule and no issues arise.

The bilevels are a different story. I believe that the rivets holding the car together blew out under the stress test (or so I was told). The Rochelle plant where they were being produced laid off workers until the engineers fixed their problems.
What I don't understand is why they didn't just convert the already-proven Merta cars into corridor configuration and go from there. Probably would've saved a little money and a lot of time, however I'm sure the various state DOTs had their reasons as to why they didn't do that route.

Hope that helps.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NSSD70ACe wrote: What I don't understand is why they didn't just convert the already-proven Merta cars into corridor configuration and go from there. Probably would've saved a little money and a lot of time, however I'm sure the various state DOTs had their reasons as to why they didn't do that route.
Are those cars rated for 110+ mph operation? Tolerances, truck design, and crash worthiness standards change as speed increases. I have no idea on the subject, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to redesign the carbody to meet both mechanical and design needs for an entirely different service than standard-speed commuter service.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow