Lansing/East Lansing Railfanning Info?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Lansing/East Lansing Railfanning Info?

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Good morning all,

I've recently made my college choice, and I've decided to become a fourth-generation Spartan, studying Integrated Supply Management with a focus on Transportation. Hopefully, it will bring great things.

However, I'm hoping to obtain some information about railfanning in the Lansing Metro area? What are the good spots? Traffic amounts? Any issues with rail/city police? I found the Railfan Guide Map for Lansing but I'm not sure when it was updated last, as it still lists NS yards in the area, along with yards that are now called my different names (Millet is now Snow?)

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

-NS
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lansing/East Lansing Railfanning Info?

Unread post by Steve B »

The Amtrak station is the best spot. There you can wait, frequently for hours until something shows up, on a bench that's designed to make you fall off. Then you should find a ride to somewhere on the NS Chicago line.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Steve B wrote:The Amtrak station is the best spot. There you can wait, frequently for hours until something shows up, on a bench that's designed to make you fall off. Then you should find a ride to somewhere on the NS Chicago line.

As much as I'd like to do that, I'm not allowed a car on campus as a freshman, per University policy. So...until I figure out just where I'm going to put my Corolla, CATA or walking is gonna be my ride. :?

Thanks for the info though.

-NS

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Sorry I was cynical. I've been watching trains in East Lansing for 20 years come September, and the whole scene has changed too much for me. But hopefully you'll find some enjoyment and bring a fresh perspective. Mornings and the wee hours seem to be best for CN. I was also a freshman at MSU 20 yrs ago and cut a well-worn path with my bike to the depot.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The Amtrak station in East Lansing is generally a good spot to sit, as you'll see pretty much everything on CN, and CSX is visible and but a minute or two walk away if you want to get closer. On CN you'll see about 20 trains a day, though in my experience most of them run at night. On CSX you'll see D708 leave eastbound in the early after noon and return west in the evening, or later if they get recrewed. Grain and stone trains run at random. If you head to downtown Lansing by the old MC/PM depot, you can see the Jackson & Lansing run over CSX as Z646, usually with a pair of their GP9s, around mid morning on the weekdays.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stinger4me »

Get a bicycle. You might get a goofy schedule. There are times when 20 minutes is not enough time between classes. I lived off campus and parked in the commuter lot and still found two wheels to be great. Buy an beater, a chain and lock and you should be good to go. You can ride over to the AMTRAK station and watch some of the really long transports fly by. Good Luck, Be safe and don't forget to study.

Stinger

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Yeah things have changed over the past 20 years. First of all the GT was doubled track and ran shorter trains, nothing like the Nighthawk a train that ran with 3 GP-38s up full throttle. Then CSX actually ran scheduled trains and had the auto rack traffic at Ford Wixom and then again you had 6-8 CP trains using CSX, there were days when the diamond had 3 trains waiting to cross the diamond. A big grain rush in 1997 happened, we had VIA F-40s running between Chicago and Toronto. Then Hunter Harrison put in sidings on the CN. And after 2008 or so CP trackage rights expired and that traffic moved south. And then CSX moved various trains off the Detroit and Grand Rapids route. At its height in the early 2000s you could find five to 20 railfans. Pretty much Steve B and me are kinda whats left of that crew. I'll watch trains at Trowbridge till I move away or pass away. Lots of memories. Lots of good times.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

I'm a decade older than those guys, and yeah everything used to be better, but you didn't come here to listen to us old farts complain did you? :wink:

The good news is that most of the traffic is on CN and they run right along the south edge of campus. The depot is kind of the traditional spot to hang out, but, depending on which part of campus you are on, there are probably closer spots. Maybe more scenic, and probably more comfortable seating.

Check the railfaning info board for the thread about the grand ledge scanner feed. That will give you lots of warning for eastbounds on CN, and will help catch the few CSX trains.

Welcome to the area.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

Go Green!

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:Go Green!
GO WHITE :D

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

KC wrote:
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:Go Green!
GO WHITE :D
Nah, go Huskies!

M-S-U-C-K-S!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Thanks all for the information!

Which rail yards are used the most in the area? I know Snow And Cory (the one out in Delta Township) are pretty much just staging, although Snow has/had some power kept there. There's also one in the NW area of Lansing, near Stanley Court. It has connecting tracks to both the CN and CSX mains.

Is Ensel used for anything other than blight?

Where does all the CN local power come from?

Go Green!

-NS

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Both D708 and D707 are based out of Ensel yard. They go on duty at 10:30 am Monday through Friday. Sometimes grain or stone train power will kept in Ensel as well (the stone yard is just west of Ensel). The CN local jobs (a day shift and a night shift IIRC) are based at Snow yard on the southwest side of town. They have a few industries they work but mostly switch autoracks at Cory yard about a mile west of Snow.

The third yard you are referring to I believe is Jackson & Lansing's Saginaw yard. Not much happening there these days, I think JAIL runs down there on weekdays.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

JAIL engine house and main yard is in Mason. I appreciate Dan's remarks, I missed the era of Big Alcos on the CN and CP through town by a few months. Also the neighborhood around the station has changed dramatically with many favorite stores gone. Several apartment buildings in Spartan Village were torn down. Progress I guess.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time at MSU and East Lansing. I moved here in 1981 and really love living in the Lansing area.