St. Joseph - CSX Needs To Take Action Or They'll Be Swimming

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: St. Joseph - CSX Needs To Take Action Or They'll Be Swim

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Here is a link to the Army Corps of Engineers project public notice for the projectr titled: Proposed Riprap Revetment Shoreline Protection in Lake Michigan at Saint
Joseph, Berrien County, Michigan:

http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Portals/6 ... 135719-697

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Sounds like work is underway, though the wind a waves recently have not helped.
http://wsbt.com/news/local/seawall-brea ... e-repaired
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Good to see that they're using stone for it. Pretty much the best material for it...one of the greatest accelerators of shoreline erosion is steel piling, because it doesn't diffuse the wave forces and just pushes it somewhere else!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Saturnalia wrote:Good to see that they're using stone for it. Pretty much the best material for it...one of the greatest accelerators of shoreline erosion is steel piling, because it doesn't diffuse the wave forces and just pushes it somewhere else!
Did you look at the plans? It's sheet pile either side. The x-section shows an existing sheet pile line, just not tall enough for the high water. There's a 36 inch storm sewer outfall that doesn't help matters either.
The sheetpile seawall alternative was determined to have the greater impacts to the area due to the vibrations of the lake bottom, excavation of existing riprap for pile installation, and the type of equipment necessary for the installation.”
Vibrations, type of equipment? WTH, get a shallow draft barge combo and drive a taller wall. Bergman is the same firm the designed the GR Amtrak train station. Search this site for my opinion on that cluster

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I hope the repair is a success for this guy's sake. Seems like he takes disappointment pretty hard.

"When a steel wall fails I can feel more catastrophically. When it fails I can fail completely,” said Hodgson.

Do they sub out article writing to China now?