CN Flat Rock sub in Carleton MI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

CN Flat Rock sub in Carleton MI

Unread post by CSXBOY »

So on Thursday morning I might head out again to do some railfanning in Carleton. So I am hoping to railfan from 9 am to 12 pm. What are the odds of catching stuff on the Flat Rock sub? I know (CN M385) NS 184 I like to call it runs very early in the morning. But what about (CN M384) NS 353 what time do they normally run at? and what is the deal with the two Indiana and Ohio trains? I know my dad sees 400 in Diann MI on US 23 going to work but thats at 5:20 am. So is Indiana and Ohio train 401 a morning train too? Thats what I heard from my friend who lives near Carleton. I know for sure I will see CSX traffic because they got about 25 or so a day running. So what times are good for I&O 401 and NS 353 (CN M384).

thanks Graeme Case

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN Flat Rock sub in Carleton MI

Unread post by AARR »

On the days IORY goes to Flat Rock they usually arrived late morning and departed south around noon. At least that was their schedule several years ago. Maybe it's changed. Also, I don't know if they go to Flat Rock every day. It was around three days a week.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I don't know if this is still the case but at least several years ago, you might use the aid of the "Carleton Ding."

From viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12161&p=81371&hilit ... ing#p81371 in 2009:
The tell tale ding is something Mike and I have heard old timers talk about while railfanning down in Carelton once or twice. When the dispatcher lines up a move on the CN Flat Rock Sub, the crossing at Monroe St. for eastbound auto traffic at the CN (and perhaps the crossing protection for westbound auto traffic, too), give one "ding," or chime now on the newer pretend bells. I've thought I've heard it in the past, but this day I verified it, standing right in front of Tiffany's and hearing it go off, just one chime, then walking over to the track and seeing the CN just peeking over the horizon from Flat Rock Yard. The old timer I remember told us he thought it was some kind of carry over from when the tower was in operation; when the tower operator lined up a move on the old DT&I, something near the diamond would ding for some reason, and the crossing protection was wired in, perhaps by mistake.
Maybe it will be of help, though someone else will have to verify if the Ding still does its thing or not. About 5 years ago, the I&O was running to Flat Rock 3 days a week, up from Delta, exchange cars at Flat Rock, then back south fairly quickly. Not sure if this is current practice anymore. I don't know about CN traffic. I always used to love getting CSX traffic on the old C&O but the goldmine in Carleton was always a catch on the former DT&I.

Good luck and let us know what you see!
Last edited by GP30M4216 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

The ding could be a dong, but I could be wrong. These highly technical terms are overwhelming my understanding of modern technical advances.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

So the I&O is not daily?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

CSXBOY wrote:So the I&O is not daily?
No, usually just Monday-Wednesday-Friday unless something has changed pretty recently.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

SD80MAC wrote:
CSXBOY wrote:So the I&O is not daily?
No, usually just Monday-Wednesday-Friday unless something has changed pretty recently.
Actually, they have been running occasional Saturday and even Sunday turns to The Rock as well.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday is the general operating plan for the DSWI to go to Flat Rock.
TrainWatcher wrote:Actually, they have been running occasional Saturday and even Sunday turns to The Rock as well.
Neither of the Delta jobs work on Sunday and there is no extra board right now, so no Sunday runs.
Bottom text.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

The CN Train is now CN L585 both ways, and almost always has NS power on it. The SB runs in the early morning (unless there are delays) and the NB runs up in the late morning to mid-day timeframe.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Whenever the I&O passes by the diamond in Carleton Michigan, be on the lookout for flats loaded with truck frames going south to the Navistar Plant in Springfield Ohio, which starts sometime this year...Too bad you won't get to the see the boxcars with truck cab shells in them, those will come from St Louis and will come the other way to Springfield.
Exit stage left