New Mt Clemens Sub Signals

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

New Mt Clemens Sub Signals

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

With the ongoing signal projects CN has been performing in the Detroit area, a signal bridge has been installed between 7 Mile and Outer Drive in Detroit. Nolan is a mile north of this location where track becomes single track and is controlled by track authorities. On this side of Nolan is Yard Limits controlled by Flint. Maybe CN has decided to make the Mt Clemens Sub signaled trackage? The principle of the various projects lately seem to be for CN to streamline their operations.

Image7 Mile New Signals by tcamp7837, on Flickr

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Mt Clemens Sub Signals

Unread post by GTW »

I'm not from the area but I was told the Mt. Clemens Sub. is being upgraded for CTC..

kckorienek
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kckorienek »

The entire Mt. Clemens Sub is going to become CTC, there will be several new control points, Milwaukee Jct will have its own on the Mt. Clemens leg, Nolan will be given a power switch instead of a spring switch, the siding in Mt. Clemens will be upgraded to power switches and allow for very limited meets as the siding is only about 3000', holding signals will be installed in between those points, North and South Haven will be upgraded, and there may be an additional holding signal installed in between Mt. Clemens and Haven, but I cannot recall. This will make the Mt. Clemens PTC-compliant, allow for a faster maximum speed, and eliminate the need for Track Authority to operate. Work is starting very soon, as in probably end of January.
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI

My RP Photos - I'm Kind Of Over This Site
Flickr - I Post Here A Lot More

"I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting."

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:With the ongoing signal projects CN has been performing in the Detroit area, a signal bridge has been installed between 7 Mile and Outer Drive in Detroit. Nolan is a mile north of this location where track becomes single track and is controlled by track authorities. On this side of Nolan is Yard Limits controlled by Flint. Maybe CN has decided to make the Mt Clemens Sub signaled trackage? The principle of the various projects lately seem to be for CN to streamline their operations.
Weren't all of the GTW dispatchers moved to Homewood, and consolidated down to just one or two desks? Who's controlling the yard limits in Flint?

kckorienek wrote:The entire Mt. Clemens Sub is going to become CTC, there will be several new control points, Milwaukee Jct will have its own on the Mt. Clemens leg, Nolan will be given a power switch instead of a spring switch, the siding in Mt. Clemens will be upgraded to power switches and allow for very limited meets as the siding is only about 3000', holding signals will be installed in between those points, North and South Haven will be upgraded, and there may be an additional holding signal installed in between Mt. Clemens and Haven, but I cannot recall. This will make the Mt. Clemens PTC-compliant, allow for a faster maximum speed, and eliminate the need for Track Authority to operate. Work is starting very soon, as in probably end of January.
That's pretty cool news. I wonder what if they'll install another signal at the north end of the Mt. Clemens Sub for trains coming out of the tunnel (for the Mt. Clemens Sub) that are too long to fit in the yard (and typically get TAs for the first couple hundred feet of the subdivision before leaving Sarnia)? Anyway, thanks for sharing the news, Kyle!
~ Charles W.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Flint Yardmaster controls all Port Huron, Pontiac, East Yard, Moterm, maybe more. Trains will no longer need to call the yardmaster to pass between Nolan and Milwaukee Jct. They will still need to call to enter East Yard.

This will mean Detroit Connecting will need to call the dispatcher for a signal to enter the Main at Milwaukee Jct and then the yardmaster to enter East Yard.

Westbounds at Tappan going onto the Mt Clemens Sub will simply have a clear signal to proceed.

kckorienek
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kckorienek »

That's pretty cool news. I wonder what if they'll install another signal at the north end of the Mt. Clemens Sub for trains coming out of the tunnel (for the Mt. Clemens Sub) that are too long to fit in the yard (and typically get TAs for the first couple hundred feet of the subdivision before leaving Sarnia)? Anyway, thanks for sharing the news, Kyle!
That will be part of the signal upgrade that is currently going on at CP Tappan.
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI

My RP Photos - I'm Kind Of Over This Site
Flickr - I Post Here A Lot More

"I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting."

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

As of today there are crews working in Mt. Clemens
just east Hubbard Street at the end of the siding there
(about where you would place a signal mast for the
siding). There's also the first part of an antenna mast
next to the track dept. building by the team track that
should be vertical by the end of today.
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311