BO Tower Countdown

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: BO Tower Countdown

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Never heard an explanation for how BO got its name but it would be quite a coincidence that its located just west of Botsford Yard, which itself was preceded by the Botsford Paper Company (later Kalamazoo Paper and Georgia Pacific).
Last edited by Ben Higdon on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Super Chief wrote:Last week looking and taking pictures of the long MCRR board above the levers in BO there was a Grand Trunk diamond between tower 1 and BO back in the old days. 6 diamonds at Tower 1, the GT 3 diamonds to switch north side customers , BO 3 diamonds to switch NYC north side customers. Then east of BO was the CK&S 3 diamonds.
There were actually only two diamonds per crossing of the CK&S, NYC and GTW. At Tower 1 there was another pair of diamonds on the south side of the main where the NYC wye crossed the PRR, and another where this connection crossed the GTW. This track ran through what is now the Bell's beer garden until the track realignment around the late 60s or 1970 when the new South Wye was put in in front of BO. There was another diamond immediately west of Tower 1 where the PRR Fox Wye crossed what I believe was the MC House track to connect with the Long Middle.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ben Higdon wrote: Never heard an explanation for how BO got its name but it would be quite a coincidence that its located just west of Botsford Yard, which itself was preceded by the Botsford Paper Company (later Kalamazoo Paper and Georgia Pacific).
Most likely "Botsford" converted to a two-character Telegraph Code, much like most other places. Porter was "PO" tower, for instance. Not uncommon at all.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Thanks Ben for your explanation on the track layout. The board didn't show the long middle. It did show trackage going SE and NW from the mains (wyes) but they were awfully faded on the diagram.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Is midday still decent for GDLK at Kalamazoo? Might have some time Monday to get a couple hours in and one last "live view" of the tower.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

302 went south 8:30am and 501 was in Three Rivers at noon south with only 2204 long hood forward pulling. Don't know 1st hand about Kazoo jobs. GTW is bringing me a track diagram from the 60s as to what this looked like back then tonight.

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

Super Chief wrote:GTW is bringing me a track diagram from the 60s as to what this looked like back then tonight.
Here's a little insight....

BO Tower is in the background
12332135493_67c3ce08b1_z.jpg

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Love that picture! If I could pick a time and place to rail fan it'd be right about there.

Railfanjunction
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Railfanjunction »

Barriers are up on the parking lot on the south side of the tower. Had to park a ways back and walk in.

Zach
Youtube: Railfanjunction (https://www.youtube.com/user/RailfanJunction)

An invasive Californian who is somehow still living in Michigan despite never having experienced snow or subzero temperatures before last year.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

ThreeRiversChris wrote:
Here's a little insight....

That's quite the sight right there. I wish it was still around.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

You can see the snow covered roofs of Tower 1 and BO in this picture. That tower has seen a lot in its day...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR-JIM-STAMPS-U ... SwNRdX~ODa

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Hate to say it, but it's not the last NYC tower.

In Albany new york, Amtrak still operates LAB tower. It's not a tower structure mind you. It's a cabin that literally sits on top of the moveable bridge. It has control of the CTC in the area.

Though Amtrak is diligently working to close this one as well.

Then there is Metra 16th street. Not sure which of the railroads owned this one however as its on the former CRIP/NYC joint trackage (now Metra)

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Even though the tower will close in a few days, does this mean it will also be demolished in a few days?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

And no one has asked " What about the operators ?" Well, I did and found out the they will be exercising their seniority and moving across state to the NS bridge and the operators that are displaced there might find a new home at the Dearborn HQ.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Yes, on both the NS and CSXT clerks & operators are on the same seniority roster allowing clerks to displace operators & vice-versa. On Conrail, they are on different seniority rosters so clerks can only "bump" clerks & operators can only displace operators. Advantages & disadvantages to both.
Speaking of NYC towers lets not forget the Conrail River Rouge Bridge job. When I hired on in 1966 that was the 1st tower they sent me to learn. Hard to believe the other 12 towers are all gone.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Fred wrote:Yes, on both the NS and CSXT clerks & operators are on the same seniority roster allowing clerks to displace operators & vice-versa. On Conrail, they are on different seniority rosters so clerks can only "bump" clerks & operators can only displace operators. Advantages & disadvantages to both.
Speaking of NYC towers lets not forget the Conrail River Rouge Bridge job. When I hired on in 1966 that was the 1st tower they sent me to learn. Hard to believe the other 12 towers are all gone.
There are several bridges, but I don't think any have control of signals anymore.

Cleveland, Maumee, and Hick come to mind

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

LakeATCS wrote:
There are several bridges, but I don't think any have control of signals anymore.

Cleveland, Maumee, and Hick come to mind
DB lost it's a few weeks ago with the conversion. Maumee I don't think does as Toledo Terminal has operational control and I think Hick (AKA CP503) isn't a controlled tower anymore as that's handled by Chicago East IIRC.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Hick is well into Chicago West's territory, and as far as I know the tower is manned and controls both the NS and CN bridges.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

One of the BO operators did bump to River Rouge. Said he needed the code to open the gate at the oil terminal to access it though.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

Is the swing bridge in Michigan City IN a manned bridge?
I save lives. What do you do?