Info about the Jackson and Lansing Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Info about the Jackson and Lansing Railroad

Unread post by SD70ACe Fan »

Hey guys!! I have a bit of info about the "Jackson & Lansing Railroad". For those who don't know this railroad, this railroad runs from Jackson, MI to Lansing, MI and back. This railroad uses 2 or 3 Adrian & Blissfield GP9 locomotives. Now the ones that I'm aware that are operating on the trains are ADBF 1758 & ADBF 1751. They used to have ADBF 1760 doing this, but then 1751 somehow took over its services... :? :? Idk what they did with 1760. The trains run Monday through Friday, they come outta the NS yard and roll off the "NS Michigan Line" and go north on the old NS branch to Lansing. Once the train gets to Lansing, it's train symbol changes from JLS1 to Z646. The Z646 is the CSXT symbol for the "interchange" job up at Ensel Yard. They haul mostly Freight and Steel, but now they're starting to haul Grain & Propane cars. My guess is to go see it on a Friday or any weekday between 11 and 4pm, they will mostly for sure run on a Friday to get their work done for the weekend. The trains are kinda hard to catch, whenever I check their tracks to see if one is coming, they're isn't one there, they' like to play "hard to get"!! :P when they're done at Ensel, the 2 locos operating the Z646 will do a "Light engine move" back to Mason, MI, but don't get fooled there, they might stop at the train yard in Holt, MI to switch coil/steel cars, that is all I got, the rest is on your own. Now for scanner, I'd usually listen to the "CSXT Plymouth & CN flint subs, Eaton County, MI" it's hard to hear them call in for CSX, but it's either you hear them or you don't and you have to guess... Now good luck catching the "JAIL"!!!!!

Brendan Sharp (SD70ACe Fan)

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Info about the Jackson and Lansing Railroad

Unread post by Doktor No »

Don't even mention the word PROPANE nor even get near/on their property. Woe be unto you.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Doktor No wrote:Don't even mention the word PROPANE nor even get near/on their property. Woe be unto you.
Umm thanks, ig??... :? :?

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Just take my word for it. A sh*train will come down....not railfan, or anything else, friendly. The old adage, 'let sleeping dogs lie,' comes to mind.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWRalph »

1760 has been in the building most of this week in Mason. As of this afternoon 1751 is on the siding next to there building in Mason. The north and south doors are open in the building and looks like they are working on both 1760 and 1758. ( The caboose and passenger car are also still inside) There were 3 ADBF pick up trucks parked outside, this is unusual because I never see them there working on Sunday especially on the engine's .

SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

GTWRalph wrote:1760 has been in the building most of this week in Mason. As of this afternoon 1751 is on the siding next to there building in Mason. The north and south doors are open in the building and looks like they are working on both 1760 and 1758. ( The caboose and passenger car are also still inside) There were 3 ADBF pick up trucks parked outside, this is unusual because I never see them there working on Sunday especially on the engine's .
Yea, I've been wondering where ADBF 1760 went, I really like the P5 horn on that engine!! :mrgreen: I hope to see it again on Z646 soon. Also, I remember when they had "Orange" LTEX engines LTEX 1419 & LTEX 1443, those were cool but I doubt they'll come back, but who cares.... 1760 is better!

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Jail crews dont really mind the railfans if they just stay back. The owners are the ones who throw a fit. And they run tue-sat.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

There are two or three existing threads on JAIL and its operations.

SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Waddy wrote:Jail crews dont really mind the railfans if they just stay back. The owners are the ones who throw a fit. And they run tue-sat.
Yea, because when I go set up to catch the "JAIL", all the do is nothing, they mind their own business blowing at the railroad crossing that I set up cameras at to record the train going by. JAIL is a pretty cool railroad!

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Jackson operations are usually done in the wee hours of o-dark thirty. Quite often I hear them headed North past Rives Junction area about 5-6 AM. When I get to work at 7:30-8 I hear the horns again in Mason.

What I find with the crews is the younger guys do not mind railfans some of the older guys are not so friendly. Stay off their property and you will be fine. Don't post anything about their hazmat operations online or you may get a knock at your door from their lawyers. The principal owner of the A&B is a lawyer and I think he likes to keep his buddies in business.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Don't post anything about their hazmat operations online or you may get a knock at your door from their lawyers. The principal owner of the A&B is a lawyer and I think he likes to keep his buddies in business.[/quote]
Exactly!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

SousaKerry wrote:. The principal owner of the A&B is a lawyer and I think he likes to keep his buddies in business.
I dont think he has any "buddies" lol.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

There was this fine example earlier this month.

Consumers Energy, Adrian and Blissfield Rail Road in court
Saturday
Posted Aug 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Consumers filed a case in Lenawee County Circuit Court in July seeking the condemnation of about 2.5 miles of A&B's rail property that runs roughly from U.S. 223 on the west to just north of East Beecher Street on the east to create a permanent maintenance easement.
By David Panian
Daily Telegram News Editor

Consumers Energy and the Adrian and Blissfield Rail Road are in court over Consumers continuing to have access to its power lines and poles along the railroad’s property in Adrian.

Consumers filed a case in Lenawee County Circuit Court in July seeking the condemnation of about 2.5 miles of A&B’s rail property that runs roughly from U.S. 223 on the west to just north of East Beecher Street on the east to create a permanent maintenance easement. It has offered to pay A&B $555,000 for the 20-foot-wide easement plus $105,000 to expedite the process.

According to court filings, Consumers in June matched A&B’s request for $660,000, but that was after A&B requested $1.75 million for a revocable license to use its property and also sought a rental fee of $1,000 per day since the end of a lease Consumers originally signed with the Michigan Department of Transportation.

“A&B is trying to capitalize on the situation by demanding that Consumers Energy pay above-market sums to allow its existing facilities to remain,” Consumers said in a court filing.

The parties agreed to a preliminary injunction that Lenawee County Circuit Judge Anna Marie Anzalone signed Aug. 8. The order “preserves the status quo” while the case is being decided.

The order also says A&B shall not interfere with Consumers’ ability to maintain and operate its facilities. Consumers is also to give A&B 24-hour notice before performing maintenance, except in emergencies.

A&B has requested a jury trial to resolve the case.

Under Michigan law, public utilities such as Consumers can condemn property in certain situations.

The situation arose because the 20-year lease Consumers signed with MDOT in 1996 was ending. The filings said A&B assumed the lease when it bought 18.91 miles of railroad from MDOT in 2000 for $1.725 million. A&B contacted Consumers in January, approximately three weeks before the lease was to end, about extending the agreement. Consumers replied it wanted an easement because high-voltage lines like those along the railroad “are a permanent component of the company’s system,” according to a Consumers court filing.

The lines along the tracks serve about 10,000 customers in the College Park area of Adrian’s west side and an industrial customer on West Beecher Road, Consumers said in its filing.

A&B said it would consider an easement and set March 1 as a target date to reach an agreement.

Consumers’ initial offer for the easement was $116,000 on Feb. 26, which A&B called “wholly unreasonable” in a court filing on Aug. 1. A&B countered on March 22 with $660,000. Consumers said it did some research, and on May 23 gave its $600,000 offer.

Consumers said A&B on June 3 said it wouldn’t continue negotiating unless Consumers paid $156,000 by June 10 plus $31,000 by July 1, or $1,000 per day from the end of the lease.

On June 10, Consumers reiterated its $600,000 offer and on June 15 sent an advance of $125,000. A&B returned the check the next day.

Also on June 10, A&B told Consumers it would have to vacate its property by July 10, according to Consumers’ filing.

On June 21, Consumers and A&B met at A&B’s corporate office in Westland, and A&B said it would only consider a revocable license for $2 million. Two days later it lowered its price to $1.75 million.

In its filing, A&B said it considered the June 21 meeting to be back at “square one” in negotiations.

“A&B no longer believed that following the path established during the initial discussions was any longer in its best interests,” the railroad said in its Aug. 1 filing.

Consumers said it offered $660,000 on June 23 for a permanent easement, matching A&B’s May 23 offer.

Consumers said A&B’s right-of-way along the tracks is 100 feet wide. It said it would not install new equipment any closer to the existing tracks than the current line of poles and allow A&B to install communications equipment on its poles if the poles would support the equipment or A&B could pay for the cost of enhancements to the poles.

In its Aug. 1 response, A&B said granting Consumers an easement would interfere with its maintenance of the track, right-of-way and storage areas. It involves portions of the mainline track, the engine house, transload facility and primary and secondary interchanges with the Norfolk Southern Railroad.

A&B said Consumers “has no power of condemnation” against A&B’s property. It noted that Consumers never sought an easement during the 20-year lease, saying it was likely because utilities can’t condemn public lands and argued its property is public property.

The reason the railroad property is public is because railroad use is public, A&B’s filing said.

“From the earliest times in this state, property taken by railroads has been considered to be public lands,” A&B’s filing said.

In response, Consumers said A&B is a private company and its land is not public. It said A&B’s arguments show a fundamental misunderstanding between the concept of “public use” and “public property.” It said if it was truly public property, Consumers would only need the consent of the local governing body to be able to place poles and lines.

Norfolk Southern Railroad, which also is a party in the case because it has interests in the railway, also argued the railroad lands are public.

“Just because (Norfolk Southern’s) and A&B’s property is being put to a public use, this does not transform the railroad’s land into public property,” Consumers said.

A&B argued that federal law pre-empts a taking in state courts because railroads are overseen by the federal Surface Transportation Board. It cited a case where the Chicago Transit Authority tried to condemn some rail lines it leased from the Union Pacific Railroad. A&B said federal courts ruled the condemnation was pre-empted by federal law.

Consumers responded that the CTA case was an example of two competing rail systems in a dispute over land. It said Consumers and A&B are not competitors and it is not seeking to operate a railroad.

Consumers also said the CTA and Union Pacific would renegotiate their lease every 10 years under established procedures. It said the MDOT lease did not contain that kind of provision.

Consumers’ original filing also named the city of Adrian as a defendant because it might have easements across the railroad property. The city was dismissed from the case Monday.
Woodstock Twp. ballot recount
Jump to comments

http://lenconnect.com/news/20160813/con ... d-in-court
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Sounds par for the course....
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Sounds like a bad case of greed on the part of A&B ownership. Given that the power lines service 10,000+ customers I think Consumers will win.
Norm

SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Just saw ADBF 1751 in Mason by itself at the engine shed.

SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Norm wrote:Sounds like a bad case of greed on the part of A&B ownership. Given that the power lines service 10,000+ customers I think Consumers will win.
Are we talking about the JAIL line or the real ADBF line down in Adrian?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

So the ADBF is arguing that it's lands are public in the court case...but is probably the first railroad to attempt to remove Railfans from easements (crossings) over its land, a right given by their lands being private property.

Given that Consumers agreed to the original asking sum of $666000, it appears to me to be 100% greed, a screw-your-neighbor case.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow