Burley Park Railway

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Burley Park Railway

Unread post by NS3322 »

Does anyone know if the steam train in Burley Park (Howard City) is still operating?

Photos by Eddie Gross

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Burley Park Railway

Unread post by pudgy »

Last I heard, they were still running the train on the select flee market days, but I do not know if they steamer is still operating. I know they have a gas powered diesel locomotive as well as the steamer. I have only seen the diesel whenever I've been in the area to see it in operation.
Big Easy

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The steamer runs on select days. As mentioned only on Flee Market days. I have a friend who has been asked to fire on her before. Interesting setup on these, as they were built without an ashpan, so the ash falls freely as the coal burns.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

MQT1223 wrote:The steamer runs on select days. As mentioned only on Flee Market days. I have a friend who has been asked to fire on her before. Interesting setup on these, as they were built without an ashpan, so the ash falls freely as the coal burns.
Umm wonder how many brush and tie fires that has caused.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:The steamer runs on select days. As mentioned only on Flee Market days. I have a friend who has been asked to fire on her before. Interesting setup on these, as they were built without an ashpan, so the ash falls freely as the coal burns.
Umm wonder how many brush and tie fires that has caused.
Not many since the ash is really fine and I bet there is ballast between the rails. Most fires come from stuff exhaled from the stack.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

I drove up to Burley Park yesterday (October 2nd) and I was told the train was no longer in operation. Something about the track and locomotive maintenance. They weren't very specific.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

The Lowell Ledger runs retro ads every week. Spotted this one last month. Where exactly was this located before it got moved up to Burley Park? Location in the ad is a bit vague.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I stopped there back in March and the track didn't look very good.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

I believe it was where Noon tire and equipment used to be, now a large church across from Meijer.