Junction Valley (Miniature) Railroad winding down

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Junction Valley (Miniature) Railroad winding down

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

With the end of its final year's regular-season runs drawing near, my wife and I visited the Junction Valley 1/4-size miniature railroad this afternoon. All rides will end after this year's Halloween runs.

The plan is to keep the hobby shop open after the rides end. I've been to the hobby shop half a dozen times over the years, but never when the train was running.

This was quite an impressive project, with nine locomotives and 75 cars with working air brakes, working signals, and enough trestles that I lost count. I can only imagine that the late Bill Stenger must have really enjoyed welding to have built so much of this.

If you look it up on Google Maps (look in the SE corner of Dixie Hwy and Junction Rd in Bridgeport Charter Township), someone has even marked all of the station locations along the line.

Nope, it is not scale-accurate equipment, and there's an awful lot of track in a relatively small space, but it was an enjoyable ride. Had I known that they had a picnic park in the middle, we would have brought our lunch.

I'm glad that we took the time to ride it before it joined the Lowell Railway, the House of David Railway, and the Deer Forest railroad as a fallen flag.
Last edited by fmilhaupt on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Fritz Milhaupt

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Junction Valley (Miniature) Railroad winding down

Unread post by hoborich »

I was not aware that it was ending. I rode it several years ago. It was a cool operation, considering he built it all himself. One of the people there told me the trucking operation next door that he owned paid for most of the railroad. Why is it ending? Did the guy die? And yes, he did cram a lot of track in a small area. I'll try to get one more ride before it closes. I believe it's only running on weekends.Been to the hobby shop many times, but usually on weekdays.

Found this:
http://www.wnem.com/story/32396390/last ... y-railroad
Last edited by hoborich on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

It's still running from 10am until 4pm Tuesday - Friday until Labor Day (10am until 5pm on the weekends). They'll be open 10am until 4pm on Labor Day. Then, they have their last Halloween runs, and that'll be it. After October 31, they plan to shut down for good.

Bill Stenger died back in mid-2012 and his wife passed away in December of that year. It's currently being run by their daughter-in-law. One of the personnel cited reduced ridership, increasing effort to maintain it, and increasing insurance costs as reasons that she is choosing to close down after 35 years of operation.

I'm glad that the hobby shop is staying open, even if it's 90 miles away. I've always found more than I was looking for when I've stopped up there.

Their web site is at http://www.jvrailroad.com
-Fritz Milhaupt

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Sad, but I guess nothing lasts forever. I wonder what will become of the railroad and the tracks. He had a pretty extensive railroad there. He had quite a few freight cars just for fun, that didn't even carry people. The equipment could be sold off, maybe to some zoo or municipal park. The tracks and trestles will probably become razor blades.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

"Rumor" has it that the railroad will stay in tact for use by family members (and friends) only.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

I've been meaning to hit up JV before the summer ended. If that doesn't work out, I'll aim for Halloween.

It's sad that a major, unique tourist attraction such as this has to shut its doors. It's been in business for 35 years but I can't help that a reason for its impending closure is due to a lack of advertising.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Fred wrote:"Rumor" has it that the railroad will stay in tact for use by family members (and friends) only.
This "rumor" has been proven true. I visited the railway today, and the owner told me the railroad and equipment will remain in the family. It will still be used to give rides, but not publicly (which was its originally intention).

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Hobby Shop is closing October 31st.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Any bargains?