Grand Trunk in Saginaw/ Bay City Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Grand Trunk in Saginaw/ Bay City Question

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

Since the Historical board has the life of a brick, I've decided to transfer this topic here.

There's something regarding the GTW's operations in Saginaw that's got me curious.

When the railroad took over the PC/Conrail lines in the area, what became of their own mainline? They didn't tear up the segment from Mershon north to Bay City until 1987 when the railroad was making major cuts system wide. Did they reduce it to industrial status or did certain trains (like transfers) still use that part of the line?

Also, where were GTW's facilities in Bay City? Looking at a topographical map circa 1976, the GTW seems to merge with the CR mainline on the town's southeast side. Did they formerly have a yard that was shut down and removed some time before?

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grand Trunk in Saginaw/ Bay City Question

I feel the love.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Zilwaukee to Bay City was abandoned in favor of the ex-MC line long before 1987, possibly as soon as 1976.

If you haven't already you could also ask on the RRHX board. Or check with the GTWHS in Durand. They sometimes have copies of station maps for sale that show old yard locations. GTW also had trackage on the east side of the river.

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:I feel the love.
You have to take into consideration that not a lot of people know the history there. All I remember growing up was Chessie and later CSX

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Steve B wrote:Zilwaukee to Bay City was abandoned in favor of the ex-MC line long before 1987, possibly as soon as 1976.

If you haven't already you could also ask on the RRHX board. Or check with the GTWHS in Durand. They sometimes have copies of station maps for sale that show old yard locations. GTW also had trackage on the east side of the river.
Really? I didn't know that. Whenever I read about the Grand Trunk taking over the PC/CR in the Tri-Cities, it's never mentioned how they reduced their own main line north of Zilwaukee.

I actually made an account over on Michigan Railroads some time ago but forgot my password so I'll have to make another. Next time I make a trip to Durand, I'm going to have to take something home with me. Thanks for the info.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

JDavis21835 wrote:
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:I feel the love.
You have to take into consideration that not a lot of people know the history there. All I remember growing up was Chessie and later CSX
I understand. Shoot, you've seen more than I have since I was born into the CSX era where the only Chessie units were patched and those were becoming steadily uncommon. If you grew up in Saginaw, Bay City or Midland then you would've been around for Grand Trunk although circumstances vary from person to person.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

My memory was wrong; until at least the 10/26/80 employee timetable, the track consolidation was at "Mac," (Backus St.), GTW MP 50.6 (Zilwaukee is at MP 43.73). South of there the GTW was the "north track" and the MC the "south track." I don't have any hard info after the 1980 ETT. Maybe you're right in thinking the GTW past Zilwaukee lasted until 1987, BamaSubdivision94.

The GTWHS has copies of a station map book with the following info. There was an engine house with water and coal available at Salzburg. Some interchange with MC was done there. Also a yard, passenger depot and freight house downtown between 7th and 11th Sts. (Bay City Terminal RR spur). Then there was the passenger depot and freight house at "West Bay City," on the main line that used to go all the way to Oa-At-Ka Beach. The other substantial yard was owned by GTW but also switched by MC, just south of the MC Hecla Belt Line.

After GTW took over the PC trackage its sole yard was the ex-PC one between Wilder Rd and Wheeler Rd.

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

I grew up in the township. Right next to the line that went to Paines. I remember the Chessie units with a mix of grain and scrap gons running west, then them coming back with just the gons. My only other experience from that time frame would have been the dubious chemical trains running to midland

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

JDavis21835 wrote:I grew up in the township. Right next to the line that went to Paines. I remember the Chessie units with a mix of grain and scrap gons running west, then them coming back with just the gons. My only other experience from that time frame would have been the dubious chemical trains running to midland
Sweet! Was this in the 70's or the 80's?

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:
JDavis21835 wrote:I grew up in the township. Right next to the line that went to Paines. I remember the Chessie units with a mix of grain and scrap gons running west, then them coming back with just the gons. My only other experience from that time frame would have been the dubious chemical trains running to midland
Early to mid 80s, so they have been patched units?

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

JDavis21835 wrote:
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:
Early to mid 80s, so they have been patched units?
"CSX" didn't start appearing on locomotives till 1986 so you were around for pure Chessie power. By the time I came to be (1994), Chessie units were patched and becoming scarce though the scheme was still fairly common at the time on GP's. I haven't seen a 6-axle unit in Chessie paint at any point after 1991.

Saginaw and Bay City were still busy, colorful hubs in the first half of the 80's with Grand Trunk, Chessie, DM and TSBY around and most lines still in operation.