Gap in a rail

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Gap in a rail

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Last edited by Ben Higdon on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: Gap in a rail

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Ben Higdon wrote:I happened to notice this on the LC Howard lead in Kalamazoo near the end of Reed St. I've never seen a gap like this in a rail, is this not that out of the ordinary on an industrial sidetrack?

usually they would put fish plates on the outside of the rail. I'm wondering if they forgot or are coming back to do this. For very slow speed track this would work. The RR maight already have a slow order on this just for this specific issue.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Ben Higdon wrote:I happened to notice this on the LC Howard lead in Kalamazoo near the end of Reed St. I've never seen a gap like this in a rail, is this not that out of the ordinary on an industrial sidetrack?

Doesn't look broken or sawed . Were there bolt holes? Never seen anyone leave a joint like this on a track that is in service. Kinda a big gap to just throw on a set of joint bars without stretching the rail.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Looks like a "pull-a-part" to me considering the one rail has no "plate" under it.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

BROKEN RAIL! A pull apart is when the angle bars either shear in two or the bolts give way and it comes apart. I've seen angle bars shear right in half at the joint. THIS is a broken rail. Let someone know about it, it is rather UNSUPPORTED at the break is it not???? And yes they do break this cleanly. I worked for Sperry Rail for awhile I know what a broken rail is.
Yeah, best to report it. If it is in the industry itself its their responsibility. If its on the railroad main/switch they'll take care of it. Talk to the yard crew, they won't bite. Let them know.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Broken rail, and has been for a while. Rusted end on the rail, slight battering of the head on both sides, and the rail segment on the left has been impacting the ballast underneath.

Why did we feel the need to stand IN THE MIDDLE OF A TRACK to take this picture?!?

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

BnOEngr wrote: Why did we feel the need to stand IN THE MIDDLE OF A TRACK to take this picture?!?
Well maybe the photographer noticed there were no trains as far as the eye can see.
It looks too square cut and clean to be a break. Must be a oversight in the last track re-hab.
Rail fans have been involved in reporting trouble on a line that the RR were grateful.
Please not all of us near rail lines are are ass h___s. I would like to think the RR people can tell the difference in a P.I.T.A. fan vs. good citizens.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Pixl wrote:
Well maybe the photographer noticed there were no trains as far as the eye can see.
It looks too square cut and clean to be a break. Must be a oversight in the last track re-hab.
Rail fans have been involved in reporting trouble on a line that the RR were grateful.
Please not all of us near rail lines are are ass h___s. I would like to think the RR people can tell the difference in a P.I.T.A. fan vs. good citizens.
NO excuse to stand in the middle of ANY track, period...

JoJames, a "real" RR track inspector, will most likely side with my version of the story...

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Yes. Definitely a broken rail. Picture could have been taken from the field side of the track also.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

BnOEngr wrote:Broken rail, and has been for a while. Rusted end on the rail, slight battering of the head on both sides, and the rail segment on the left has been impacting the ballast underneath.

Why did we feel the need to stand IN THE MIDDLE OF A TRACK to take this picture?!?
It's a siding good for 2mph with no train within miles. But yes that's a no-no. Didn't realize Barney Fife would be on the case if I posted such a picture.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Ben Higdon wrote:
It's a siding good for 2mph with no train within miles. But yes that's a no-no. Didn't realize Barney Fife would be on the case if I posted such a picture.
No such thing as a "siding good for 2 MPH".

Photos can be accessed by anybody who comes to this website. Just means a lot of people will continue to shake their heads and look down upon the antics of the foamer community in viewing shots such as this. Doesn't mean everyone will comment.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

JoJames wrote:Yes. Definitely a broken rail. Picture could have been taken from the field side of the track also.
From that angle? Only if he was 50ft up in the air.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Clay320 wrote:
JoJames wrote:Yes. Definitely a broken rail. Picture could have been taken from the field side of the track also.
Field side means "not in the gauge/fouling the track"
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Saturnalia wrote:
Clay320 wrote:
Field side means "not in the gauge/fouling the track"
I know, from the angle of the shot, he would have to be very high up to be outside the gauge.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

BnOEngr wrote:Broken rail, and has been for a while. Rusted end on the rail, slight battering of the head on both sides, and the rail segment on the left has been impacting the ballast underneath.

Why did we feel the need to make a smart A$$ comment about it in a public forum?

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

You guys argue like little kids & half the time have no clue what you are talking about. Grow up, this behavior is completely annoying! So some of you can stop guessing here are the facts:

Yes, this is a broken rail
No, this is not an old break. It was roughly 12 hours old & it had been raining.
Yes, it is stupid to stand in the middle of the track
No, there were actually multiple trains within a couple miles of that site all day long
No, there was is no track only approved for 2 MPH
Now to find this break one would have to be trespassing by a VERY long long distance. This break was not visible from, nor was it near any public land. I don't think most railroaders have issues with railfans, but when railfans start breaking rules & show complete disregard for other's property, that's when there becomes an issue. As a warning, this particular area has seen a lot of criminal activity recently so the police have been asked to ticket or arrest anyone caught in this area that doesn't have a reason to be there. There have already been multiple arrests & numerous tickets issued since the beginning of the year, so fair warning, don't trespass.

Mike H

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Mike H wrote:You guys argue like little kids & half the time have no clue what you are talking about. Grow up, this behavior is completely annoying! So some of you can stop guessing here are the facts:

Yes, this is a broken rail
No, this is not an old break. It was roughly 12 hours old & it had been raining.
Yes, it is stupid to stand in the middle of the track
No, there were actually multiple trains within a couple miles of that site all day long
No, there was is no track only approved for 2 MPH
Now to find this break one would have to be trespassing by a VERY long long distance. This break was not visible from, nor was it near any public land. I don't think most railroaders have issues with railfans, but when railfans start breaking rules & show complete disregard for other's property, that's when there becomes an issue. As a warning, this particular area has seen a lot of criminal activity recently so the police have been asked to ticket or arrest anyone caught in this area that doesn't have a reason to be there. There have already been multiple arrests & numerous tickets issued since the beginning of the year, so fair warning, don't trespass.

Mike H
Thanks for confirming the info. Yes, obviously there is no track technically good for 2mph. Unless there was a crew in Botsford, no there was no train within a few miles. Wouldn't have thought a "VERY long long distance" is two hundred feet along the ROW from the road. And thankfully the Edison thugs don't come out much in the morning. I would never do anything to disrupt property aside from leave footprints.

I agree, I shouldn't have been walking on the tracks. Can we all move on with our lives now ?
Last edited by Ben Higdon on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

chapmaja wrote:

Why did we feel the need to make a smart A$$ comment about it in a public forum?

I don't see anything smart A.... about it. He has a good point, why would anyone think it a good idea to stand there. All it take is for some idiot to think this is a good idea and then do it at the wrong place and time. If something would happen and a rail car break loose and start rolling, you may never hear it coming until right on top of you. You guys may not think so but rail cars can move and not make a sound. Seen it plenty of times, add a little rain or snow and they are deadly quiet.

Thanks Mike H. You brought up some good points, but they think they know it all anyways.
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Ben Higdon wrote: I would never do anything to disrupt property aside from leave footprints.
You should have said that in the first place. With that attitude it is perfectly acceptable to disregard the law. :roll:

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

It's ok to stand there and take a photo of a broken rail, but woe unto the person taking formal photos on the tracks. That will get the ire of the rail fan community, even if there isn't a train in miles...