Lansing Boxcars

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Lansing Boxcars

Unread post by NS3322 »

What is the deal with the abandoned Conrail boxcar in Saginaw Yard (Ex-NS) in Lansing?

And what about the two that are under the S. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd bridge over the Grand River?
Any info would be appreciated.
Last edited by NS3322 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lansing Boxcars

Unread post by PatAzo »

1950's cars that were repurposed for material storage after retirement. I'll speculate NS conveyed it to the JAIL or forgot it was there.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

There are several of these cars in Jackson as well by the old freight depot. I also know of one NYC car in the are as well but it is well hidden.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

SousaKerry wrote:There are several of these cars in Jackson as well by the old freight depot. I also know of one NYC car in the are as well but it is well hidden.
Belong to NS B&B and C&S. A B60b is also there.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

The three cars west of MLK are a JTTX flat car setup to haul calcium carbide, return when mty to Ceico, Ohio and two box cars, a 60’ dbl door and a 79’ 8 door hi-cube. They have been there for several decades. The 50’ box car a Saginaw Yard is a storage shed, also been there for several decades.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

TrainWatcher wrote:
SousaKerry wrote:There are several of these cars in Jackson as well by the old freight depot. I also know of one NYC car in the are as well but it is well hidden.

I wonder if they actually belong to the state of Michigan now or Amtrak, considering NS is just the designated operator now, unless they were considered part of the local industrial trackage around town.

Interesting quandary..
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

SousaKerry wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:

I wonder if they actually belong to the state of Michigan now or Amtrak, considering NS is just the designated operator now, unless they were considered part of the local industrial trackage around town.

Interesting quandary..
CRHS is interested in the CR box on site. I wouldn't mind having the B60b and a boxcar for SMRS

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

CRHS is interested in the CR box on site. I wouldn't mind having the B60b and a boxcar for SMRS

And just where is the CRHS located exactly?? How do you own railcars with nowhere to put them?

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

They would need to be trucked out as that is why they are there in the first place. There were several dozen box cars there with quite a few cut up by a private contractor on site before the government (EPA?) put a stop to that during the NS period. Would imagine they belong to that contractor unless JAIL acquired them in lieu of storage fees.

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

TrainWatcher wrote:
The CRHS wants everything they can get but they aren't going to be funding the trip back to PA.
Patrick Welch

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Actually they do. They have an operating relationship with the Allentown and Auburn shortline in Kutztown, PA. The CRHS fleet is there, both cabs, flatcar, and gon.

The building is marked for NS Comm and Signal. I'd guess it's their stuff, dunno who to ask on the NS side.

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

I'm fully aware of the what the CRHS wants and needs and per a conversation I had with Russ last night, Michigan equipment is not in their agenda

Patrick
CRHS member
Patrick Welch

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Cool. Glad to know

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Thanks everyone!

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

JAIL pulled one of the old Conrail boxcars from the yard by the CN this afternoon. Too worn & graffiti covered to get a number.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

CR #210943 is the 60’ and NYC #238006, ex CR 238006 is the 89’

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

It was the '60. I was shooting video, so will try to grab a still once I upload the files. Pretty sure they had it with them when they headed out of Saginaw yard, but I didn't have time to catch them at Ensel, so not sure where the car will end up.

gbw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gbw »

Just a Lansing note (not boxcar)
They have the road blocked at JAIL crossing North St @Turner, either removing or repairing the tracks there.
as of last night, it looked like the rails were still there.
If repairing, I would assume they are going to finally start service Friedland??

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

From what I've heard crews have been working on removing asphalt and dirt from the Old Town spur in preperation for service soon.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Or more likely the case, MDOT has been doing spring crossing inspections and said fix it or loose it.