Lansing Boxcars

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lansing Boxcars

Unread post by NYCMan »

Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) does not have the authority to tell a railroad to "lose" a crossing or any track. That authority rests solely with the United States of America, Surface Transportation Board (STB). Plenty of Federal court decisions have made this fact perfectly clear to both state and local governmental agencies that have tried to tell a railroad what to do.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

JAIL nbd Lansing 4 20 2016.jpg
Northbound, about to cross W Michigan Ave in Lansing. April 20 2016

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Woah, there's a relic. Great shot Dan.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Dan Cluley wrote:It was the '60. I was shooting video, so will try to grab a still once I upload the files. Pretty sure they had it with them when they headed out of Saginaw yard, but I didn't have time to catch them at Ensel, so not sure where the car will end up.
What do you think they will do with it? Scrap it?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

They did not bring it to Mason on Wed, so it either went to CSX or they stashed it somewhere in Lansing.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The DOT does have authority over crossings. The state statute has authority over a number of railroad issues.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28v5 ... 54-of-1993

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Michigan also has a law that says a train cannot block a crossing for more than 10 minutes. The City of Plymouth kept issuing tickets to CSXT train crews for blocking crossings, and CSXT finally hauled the City of Plymouth into Federal court, where the court struck down the State law as being illegal when applied against a railroad. In fact, the City of Plymouth went after CSXT twice, once under state law (where City lost) and then under a city ordinance (where City lost again). The City of Kendallville, Indiana once went after Pioneer Rail Corp because of weeds growing along their tracks in violation of some city ordinance. The Federal court stepped in and told the City of Kendallville that the City had no authority to enforce a city ordinance against a railroad.

Just because the State has a law on the books does not mean that law is enforceable against a railroad. Just imagine, if a State could simply tell a railroad that a highway grade crossing is closed, interstate commerce would quickly come to a screeching halt.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

NS3322 wrote:What do you think they will do with it? Scrap it?
Yep

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Buster Manning wrote:
NS3322 wrote:What do you think they will do with it? Scrap it?
Yep
So did they deliver it to Padnos?

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

SD80MAC wrote:From what I've heard crews have been working on removing asphalt and dirt from the Old Town spur in preperation for service soon.
Looking forward to seeing this. I'm kinda interested in knowing why Friedland stopped using rail anyway. Did the NS years scare them off?
Dan Cluley wrote:
JAIL nbd Lansing 4 20 2016.jpg
Northbound, about to cross W Michigan Ave in Lansing. April 20 2016
Awesome catch Dan! Be interesting to see where it turns up
Nick

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:From what I've heard crews have been working on removing asphalt and dirt from the Old Town spur in preperation for service soon.
Photos on Facebook back this up.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This from TC John at MIRR.com
Straight from Freidland Industries- no concrete plans to use rail service (when ask if they were going to start being that a locomotive was spotted on the branch a few months ago and recent crossing work):

"So what was it all about? First, a little history. Friedland used to ship by rail all the time. Through the years, especially as manufacturing in Michigan dwindled, the amount of scrap volume we processed decreased to the point where shipping by truck was far more cost-effective. Despite the rumor that the line was deemed inactive, it has always remained active; the landscaping just wasn’t kept up to date.

A few years ago, Adrian & Blissfield bought the rail line from Norfolk Southern. They’ve done a great job cleaning up the area. The train that came through was straightening out the track.

So are we going to ship by rail again?? I don’t know, maybe. If we land a large enough account to merit shipping by rail again, that would be awesome. Actually, that would be more than awesome for us. That would be awesome for everyone because it would be a good indicator that the economy is growing. We’ll see…

It sure was great to see a train in Old Town again. As Old Town goes through a revitalization, we’re crossing our fingers for a resurgence in industry as well."
MQT1223 wrote:
Photos on Facebook back this up.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Drove by Pandos yesterday and the box car wasn't on any of the tracks there.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

I saw that Conrail boxcar sitting across from the yard office at Ensel Yard yesterday afternoon. It apparently was interchanged by JAIL to CSXT. Since half of the Conrail assets went to CSXT, perhaps JAIL was simply returning the car to its owner. The car looks to be in decent condition.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Tim wrote:Drove by Pandos yesterday and the box car wasn't on any of the tracks there.
You probably are shaving with it by now....

The 86' boxcar is gone now from Sleepy Hollow yard too...haven't seen any photos of this move from someone who is intimate with the daily operations like I did on Facebook; but, pretty sure it met the torch also...said yard is now full of fairly new 2-bay covered hoppers--well, what's left of it as it looks like only 4 tracks left in service

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Noticed theres also an old Conrail boxcar in Cavanaugh yard as well
Nick

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Buster Manning wrote:The 86' boxcar is gone now from Sleepy Hollow yard too...
GrandTrunkFan wrote:Noticed theres also an old Conrail boxcar in Cavanaugh yard as well
How come there are so many names for the yards in Lansing?

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:How come there are so many names for the yards in Lansing?
I don't know how to answer that without sounding like a smarty-pants...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Couple reasons I can think of:
1. There used to be more than the three railroads that went into Lansing and they used different names for their yards which still are used today.
2. Lansing used to have a lot more rail activity and the many yards were used for staging cars until the customers needed them. This was particular true for the many auto plants. So the yards were given different names so the train crews knew which cars to set out and pick up from.
There may be other reasons too.
NS3322 wrote:How come there are so many names for the yards in Lansing?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

NYCMan wrote:I saw that Conrail boxcar sitting across from the yard office at Ensel Yard yesterday afternoon. It apparently was interchanged by JAIL to CSXT. Since half of the Conrail assets went to CSXT, perhaps JAIL was simply returning the car to its owner. The car looks to be in decent condition.
Nope