GTW 4625 (GP9R)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

GTW 4625 (GP9R)

Unread post by NS3322 »

I can't seem to find photos of this unit past 2010 (I have the last photo of it on rrpicturesarchives). Was this unit scrapped? Or is it being stored somewhere?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GTW 4625 (GP9R)

Unread post by AARR »

Quite a few of the GP9r's have been sold. Seems like I saw a picture of four in the 4620something series going down south. Perhaps 4625 was in that group.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I can't seem to find photos of this unit past 2010 (I have the last photo of it on rrpicturesarchives). Was this unit scrapped? Or is it being stored somewhere?
Last I knew it was PRLX 4625. A few of the former GTW units were being stored in Waresboro, Georgia.
AARR wrote:Quite a few of the GP9r's have been sold. Seems like I saw a picture of four in the 4620something series going down south. Perhaps 4625 was in that group.
Carolina Coastal Railway (CLNA) has five former GTW units.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

GTW 4625 was on the CN surlpus list in 2010.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I don't see 4625 on the Carolina Coastal Railway but did fine GTW 4609, 4612, 4621, 4624, 4628, 4630 on the property.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

How many of the former GTW GP9R's are still in CN employ?

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

GP30M4216 wrote:How many of the former GTW GP9R's are still in CN employ?

There are 10 of them, five in
GTW "Blue" and five in CN paint! They are still referred as "GTW!!!!"
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm reading that the GP9r cab and short hoods are from GP38's. Is that correct?

And is the short hood the 81" or 88" length?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The 4625 went to Boundary Trail Railway Company in Manitoba.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AARR wrote:I'm reading that the GP9r cab and short hoods are from GP38's. Is that correct?

No. According to everything I’ve read, the cabs and short hoods were fabricated by GTW at the Battle Creek shops. They look very similar to the later style EMD cabs that were prevalent the from the GP35 onwards. I believe the noses are still the length of the original GP9 nose, as they are quite long compared to newer Geeps. Interestingly enough, when they did these, they cut the whole front end of the GP9 off, cab, nose and part of the frame and all, at once. The president of the C&M had the front end of one in his yard for years.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you SD80. I saw your scale drawing of the GP9r and thought you might know the dimensions of the cab and short hood.
SD80MAC wrote:
AARR wrote:I'm reading that the GP9r cab and short hoods are from GP38's. Is that correct?

No. According to everything I’ve read, the cabs and short hoods were fabricated by GTW at the Battle Creek shops. They look very similar to the later style EMD cabs that were prevalent the from the GP35 onwards. I believe the noses are still the length of the original GP9 nose, as they are quite long compared to newer Geeps. Interestingly enough, when they did these, they cut the whole front end of the GP9 off, cab, nose and part of the frame and all, at once. The president of the C&M had the front end of one in his yard for years.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Sept 1994 "Trains" had an in-depth (back when it still did those) GPR9 article.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Where these the rebuilds by Alstom rated at 1800 HP?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They were rebuilt by GTW shop crews in Battle Creek and retained their original rating of 1750
jrgerber wrote:Where these the rebuilds by Alstom rated at 1800 HP?

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Steve B wrote:Sept 1994 "Trains" had an in-depth (back when it still did those) GPR9 article.

Yes I have that Trains Magazine® and the article is called
"The Rebuilt Geeps of Battle Creek!!!!" It is well worth the read! :wink: Too bad that shop closed and was torn down!
I remember seeing it in place in the 1990s! Thirty six "High Hood" GTW/CV GP9/18 locos had the hoods "Chopped" and conventional GP38 cabs put in. There are only 10 remaining (2020) in operation for CN (GTW)! Ten are
"Blue" and ten in "CN" colors! Also in the same magazine has a story about cabooses still being used in the NS "Pocahontas Division!" I went on a trip with my late Dad (RCJ I) in July 2000 (almost 20 years ago) seeking the cabooses! We never caught them moving, but saw some high hoods and ex Conrail® "Blue" locos! Someday I hope to go there again to catch the coal mine runs with cabooses!!!! :mrgreen:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Theres some wrong info in here
SD80MAC wrote:

They did not chop the frame off. The ones I've encountered still have their original frame. The nose is probably about 81-88 inches. I've never actually measured one. The cab is approximately 11 longer to make the difference in original GP9 nose and chopped verision. A few cabs were delivered from VMV, but most were built in house by the GTW

Robertrains wrote:
Steve B wrote:Sept 1994 "Trains" had an in-depth (back when it still did those) GPR9 article.

Yes I have that Trains Magazine® and the article is called
"The Rebuilt Geeps of Battle Creek!!!!" It is well worth the read! :wink: Too bad that shop closed and was torn down!
I remember seeing it in place in the 1990s! Thirty six "High Hood" GTW/CV GP9/18 locos had the hoods "Chopped" and conventional GP38 cabs put in. There are only 10 remaining (2020) in operation for CN (GTW)! Ten are
"Blue" and ten in "CN" colors! Also in the same magazine has a story about cabooses still being used in the NS "Pocahontas Division!" I went on a trip with my late Dad (RCJ I) in July 2000 (almost 20 years ago) seeking the cabooses! We never caught them moving, but saw some high hoods and ex Conrail® "Blue" locos! Someday I hope to go there again to catch the coal mine runs with cabooses!!!! :mrgreen:
The Battle Creek shops still stand. A few things have been removed but the actual engine shop is still standing. Its used by Diamond Storage Solutions.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The GP9r frames look different than their originals. It looks like they notched out the middle portion to fit the tube.
GP9R wrote:Theres some wrong info in here
They did not chop the frame off. The ones I've encountered still have their original frame. The nose is probably about 81-88 inches. I've never actually measured one. The cab is approximately 11 longer to make the difference in original GP9 nose and chopped verision. A few cabs were delivered from VMV, but most were built in house by the GTW

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

AARR wrote:The GP9r frames look different than their originals. It looks like they notched out the middle portion to fit the tube.
GP9R wrote:Theres some wrong info in here
They did cut the skirt off the side. The actual structural steel in the frame was not cut

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

GP9R wrote:The Battle Creek shops still stand. A few things have been removed but the actual engine shop is still standing. Its used by Diamond Storage Solutions.
If I ever hit the jackpot I would love to buy the shops and turn it into something like the Arkansas Railroad Museum (which is located in the old Cotton Belt Pine Bluff shops).
Either way I am glad the building is still being used.