Jackson Observations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Jackson Observations

Unread post by Clay320 »

I was meandering around Jackson Wednesday night around 11pm and saw NS power heading west out of the yard. Thinking this was maybe the road train to Kzoo (B33?) I parked over by the station to see what all they had. 6 engines, and 14 cars. Now I'm not hardcore enough to tell modern engines apart but there were two wide nose engines, 3 standards cab engines, and one high nose which was 5228 I think. The 14ish cars were covered hoppers and a few tank cars.

I'm guessing the abundance of power is just a shuttle move. Although the high nose seemed unusual for Jackson, at least I haven't noticed it working any of the locals before. If this was B33 hauling everything out to Kzoo, why such a short train, maybe just a light night? If not B33 what else would run that late? BC and Albion turns are usually afternoon jobs from what I've seen.

On a unrelated note from NS happenings, I have noticed the wolverine has been running with just one engine leading and nothing in the rear. Is this a winter practice of some sort?

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: Jackson Observations

Unread post by SousaKerry »

High short hood units have been fairly common in years past in Jackson. I did not see many this past summer and fall but they do get around still.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Same 4 units were behind Elk power in TR yesterday at 2:30pm. Was an engine move to Elkhart. Train swelled to 150 cars time it left town (posted in Grand Elk thread).

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Clay320 wrote:On a unrelated note from NS happenings, I have noticed the wolverine has been running with just one engine leading and nothing in the rear. Is this a winter practice of some sort?
Yeah, it's called the "We haven't figured out that fine snow causes problems with traction motors on the rear of or trains" practice....

to be fair, fine snow causes problems with the freight carriers too....