NS Milan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

NS Milan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I was in Milan today for a swim meet at the HS pool. When we left the meet I heard an EB freight west of town, so we decided to go by the diamond with the AA and see what was coming through.

When we got there I noticed the yard on the AA had an NS locomotive, with its lights on. The locomotive isn't unusual, but the lights being on was. We heard the horn a few more times then eventually saw the headlight. We kept focusing on the NS mainline until we heard the rumble of from behind us (we were parked in the NS parking lot). The engine on the AA was pulling forward with a long cut of boxcars. He came around the wye almost to the mainline, and backed up, switching cars within the yard. I never got a count on the cars, but the engine was an Operation Lifesaver GP38-2. (possibly 5337) He switched the cars around for awhile. I kept waiting for the EB train to come, but it never did.

Does anyone know where the boxcars on that local were from and where they were going? It was a mix of reporting marks and styles including some 86 footers and at least one old Rock Island. Also, what is the schedule of this train? Does Milan still have the local based in town now that the local industry is closed and the Saline parts are no longer being shipped by rail?

Also, what train would have been EB on the NS mainline about 4:30 pm?

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Milan

Unread post by cfriedri »

B70 still operates out of Milan AFAIK. My best guess is that you saw them switching the yard. Not sure exactly what all they serve but I think they run from Milan to Oakwood Yard and back.
Connor

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

cfriedri wrote:B70 still operates out of Milan AFAIK. My best guess is that you saw them switching the yard. Not sure exactly what all they serve but I think they run from Milan to Oakwood Yard and back.
Crew call is 7 or 8 AM Mon-SAT, and they usually mess around in the AA yard until about 10 AM. THey run to oakwood and return, switching Georgia Pacific (?) in milan and a few other industries along the way. Usually I understand they make it back to milan by 4 PM.

But recently they have been getting out later, so that "schedule" may have changed.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Recently (last 6 months or so) AA is interchanging Chrysler traffic in Milan instead of Toledo (to avoid Ottawa Yard congestion). On Sundays, if Milan is full, AA will run the interchange traffic north on NS's main to the nearest passing siding and set out.

I believe NS has a 86' box car customer somewhere on it's Detroit Sub but I don't know where and I may be mistaken :? .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

AARR wrote:Recently (last 6 months or so) AA is interchanging Chrysler traffic in Milan instead of Toledo (to avoid Ottawa Yard congestion). On Sundays, if Milan is full, AA will run the interchange traffic north on NS's main to the nearest passing siding and set out.
The siding you are reffering to is arkona siding, just east of Milan. 121 will sometimes pick up the racks left there if they do not make it to oakwood first on B70.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks ConrailMan. The AA crew will go EAST (not north) on NS to set out Chrysler vehicle racks.
ConrailMan5 wrote:
AARR wrote:Recently (last 6 months or so) AA is interchanging Chrysler traffic in Milan instead of Toledo (to avoid Ottawa Yard congestion). On Sundays, if Milan is full, AA will run the interchange traffic north on NS's main to the nearest passing siding and set out.
The siding you are reffering to is arkona siding, just east of Milan. 121 will sometimes pick up the racks left there if they do not make it to oakwood first on B70.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I believe as of late the cars are making it into oakwood on most days. Sunday night/ Monday morning is a common day for the cars to go directly from AA to the siding since B70 does not run on Sunday, but the racks will still come north. Some days B70 will just take the cars to the siding, and some days the AA will, but I believe B70 does it more often.

There was an extra B70 called at Milan on Wednesday (12/3) night to receive a train from the AA.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Please note: This was posted on Sunday, so either NS has changed the schedule or they were running something EXTRA. I suspected it was the local, but I didn't think they ran Sunday either. Also, no autoracks visible in Milan yard (what could be seen through the fog at least). I suspect they were taken to Oakwood already by the crew.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

One more question. Are their any industries served on the Wabash line west of Milan, and if so, which train serves them? and where is it out of?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

There is a business on the west end of Milan yard that gets tank cars, B70 serves them. I do not believe there is any other online business until the ADBF interchange. Not sure what local or train gets those cars though, and I am not sure if there is anything on the NS closer to Adrian.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Ypsi wrote:There is a business on the west end of Milan yard that gets tank cars, B70 serves them. I do not believe there is any other online business until the ADBF interchange. Not sure what local or train gets those cars though, and I am not sure if there is anything on the NS closer to Adrian.
THere is an elevator... I want to say parma but I am almost certain that is on the MI line. It is west of Milan East of Adrian and recieves cars as needed. At least it did last time I heard. The local out of Adrain serves it.
-Kurt Vonnegut

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

John Marion, Inc. in Britton http://www.jmigrain.com/.
ConrailMan5 wrote:
Ypsi wrote:There is a business on the west end of Milan yard that gets tank cars, B70 serves them. I do not believe there is any other online business until the ADBF interchange. Not sure what local or train gets those cars though, and I am not sure if there is anything on the NS closer to Adrian.
THere is an elevator... I want to say parma but I am almost certain that is on the MI line. It is west of Milan East of Adrian and recieves cars as needed. At least it did last time I heard. The local out of Adrain serves it.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Depends. They have been running 2 B70s out of Milan, as I see the second usually all racks, eastbound by DTW around 4-5pm right after the Whittaker local goes by with their cab on the end.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

TrainWatcher wrote:Depends. They have been running 2 B70s out of Milan, as I see the second usually all racks, eastbound by DTW around 4-5pm right after the Whittaker local goes by with their cab on the end.
Rawsonville local is what I think your talking about here, and that would be B73. They generally head out west from OJ between 3-7pm. I was unaware of regular calls of 2 B70's per day but I suppose with increased auto rack traffic it is possible.. Last Wednesday was the first time I had seen a nighttime extra call for B70.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Extra local call for Milan-oakwood seems to be B78. They just cleared Belleville light power single GP38-2