Run Through Power for AA/GLC

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Run Through Power for AA/GLC

Unread post by SD80MAC »

chapmaja wrote:I don't know is any Wabash power ever made it up the AA (I'm sure some did at some point), but I think the Century units from an eastern railroad were sent up the railroad at one time for a few trial runs. It was some sort of power swap between the Lehigh Valley and the DT&I (or maybe Wabash). The owner of the AA got some units as part of a temporary trade while one railroad evaluated the other. Whichever railroad owned the AA at the time got some Alco C units in return. Since the AA crews had experience with the Alco's they were used on the AA rather than be used by a generally EMD railroad. I'm not sure which Century units they were, but I thought some were 6 axel units.
The units in question were 3 Leigh Valley Alco C420s. They tested on the AA for a few months then returned, with no orders placed. Interestingly enough, one of the units that AA tested still survives on the Delaware Lackawanna and sees regular use, repainted into its LV scheme to boot.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

SD80MAC wrote:
chapmaja wrote:I don't know is any Wabash power ever made it up the AA (I'm sure some did at some point), but I think the Century units from an eastern railroad were sent up the railroad at one time for a few trial runs. It was some sort of power swap between the Lehigh Valley and the DT&I (or maybe Wabash). The owner of the AA got some units as part of a temporary trade while one railroad evaluated the other. Whichever railroad owned the AA at the time got some Alco C units in return. Since the AA crews had experience with the Alco's they were used on the AA rather than be used by a generally EMD railroad. I'm not sure which Century units they were, but I thought some were 6 axel units.
The units in question were 3 Leigh Valley Alco C420s. They tested on the AA for a few months then returned, with no orders placed. Interestingly enough, one of the units that AA tested still survives on the Delaware Lackawanna and sees regular use, repainted into its LV scheme to boot.
That she does, and she does sound and look amazing.

Idiling Alco by James Byberg, on Flickr

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

TrainWatcher wrote: That she does, and she does sound and look amazing.
Sorry, but that locomotive is definitely a dude.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Idiling Alco by James Byberg, on Flickr

RANT:
I don't know why anyone would take black & white photos today. It reminds me too much of growing up in the 1950s when my family couldn't afford color film.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Nobody actually shoots in B&W when they take media. It's converted in editing, for esthetic reasons, such as to match the tradition of B&W railroad photos, or whatever.

What's old is cool again...as with anything.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

B&W works on crappy days where if you shoot color, it looks crappy.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CSX_CO wrote:B&W works on crappy days where if you shoot color, it looks crappy.
It also works when you know how to properly convert a color photo to b&w.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Besides the LV C-420's (413, 414, 415) used in frt service, the Wabash operated business trains on the AA all the way up to Frankfort/Elberta using their E units as well as their PA's. It is belived that no Wabash units were used in frt service. This info comes from Henry Burger the Historian & webmaster for the Ann Arbor Railroad Technical & Historical Association

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

In the steam era the Wabash would sometimes send a 4-8-2 or two or a couple 2-8-2's. I've not seen any Wabash diesels in freight service on the AA like you said.
Last edited by MQT1223 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

J T wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote: That she does, and she does sound and look amazing.
Sorry, but that locomotive is definitely a dude.
It must be a Caitlyn Jenner Loco. Its male but Identifies as a woman lmao
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

NS 1031 leading south over the AA bridge over the Huron River

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC the original AARR would use LS&I engines during the winter when mining operations were slow. If it wasn't LS&I it may have been another mining operations engines.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Made the second NB run this morning, UP ACe in the lead NS dash 8 trailing. Departed Osmer at 0845
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

AAR is correct they used to lease the LS&I units in the winter. Somewhere there is a book with photos of the LS&I power on the DT&I. I know the 2501 and 2500 both U25Cs were down as well as a couple of the Alco's based on photographs I have seen published. Even into the 90s it wasn't uncommon to see the LS&I power on WC trains during the winter.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

CAT345C wrote:AAR is correct they used to lease the LS&I units in the winter. Somewhere there is a book with photos of the LS&I power on the DT&I. I know the 2501 and 2500 both U25Cs were down as well as a couple of the Alco's based on photographs I have seen published. Even into the 90s it wasn't uncommon to see the LS&I power on WC trains during the winter.
The only time LS&I units were on the Ann Arbor was between December 1st, 1963 and April 1st, 1964. Coming to the Ann Arbor were four ALCO RS3 units, 1605,1608,1609,1610, and one Alco RSD12, 1804. The RSD12 unit was not compatable to operate with the RS3 units and was used in other service. I recall one time when two of the RS3 units was working job TF1 when one broke down at Howell and they brought 1804 down from Owosso (the only unit available) to get the train back to Owosso and it took two engineers because they could not MU the power.

This was during the time period that four of the Annie's FA2 units had been sold to the Wabash, and the rest were being traded in, one by one, until the GP35s first began to make their appearance. 386, the first to come arrived on March 29, 1964, 385 came on March 3rd, 1964. Prior to the Ann Arbor GP35s coming, the AA had DT&I GP35s 351-352 between February 10th to May 17th, 1964 to familiarize the AA crews with the GP35s. As mentioned above, the LS&I units all went north to Frankfort dead in tow on April 1st, 1964.

I never saw the two U25Cs on the AA and believe they were not on the AA for very long. Not sure either if it was during this late 1963 early 1964 period or some other time.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Bob do you know if they came over on the ferries?

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

CAT345C wrote:Bob do you know if they came over on the ferries?
Far as I ever knew, yes they did.

Henry F. Burger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Henry F. Burger »

I have never seen a time book listing for either LS&I U25C 2500 or 2501

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

BL2-1843 wrote:
CAT345C wrote:AAR is correct they used to lease the LS&I units in the winter. Somewhere there is a book with photos of the LS&I power on the DT&I. I know the 2501 and 2500 both U25Cs were down as well as a couple of the Alco's based on photographs I have seen published. Even into the 90s it wasn't uncommon to see the LS&I power on WC trains during the winter.
The only time LS&I units were on the Ann Arbor was between December 1st, 1963 and April 1st, 1964. Coming to the Ann Arbor were four ALCO RS3 units, 1605,1608,1609,1610, and one Alco RSD12, 1804. The RSD12 unit was not compatable to operate with the RS3 units and was used in other service. I recall one time when two of the RS3 units was working job TF1 when one broke down at Howell and they brought 1804 down from Owosso (the only unit available) to get the train back to Owosso and it took two engineers because they could not MU the power.

This was during the time period that four of the Annie's FA2 units had been sold to the Wabash, and the rest were being traded in, one by one, until the GP35s first began to make their appearance. 386, the first to come arrived on March 29, 1964, 385 came on March 3rd, 1964. Prior to the Ann Arbor GP35s coming, the AA had DT&I GP35s 351-352 between February 10th to May 17th, 1964 to familiarize the AA crews with the GP35s. As mentioned above, the LS&I units all went north to Frankfort dead in tow on April 1st, 1964.

I never saw the two U25Cs on the AA and believe they were not on the AA for very long. Not sure either if it was during this late 1963 early 1964 period or some other time.
Bob that is absolutely amazing prototype information.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »