Run Through Power for AA/GLC

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Run Through Power for AA/GLC

Unread post by cfriedri »

Was informed this evening that there would be some interesting action happening on the Ann Arbor Railroad tonight and being that it's my first time back to Michigan in a while, I decided to head out to look for a supposed grain extra. Turns out that there were two NS six-axle units on the head end of an empty unit grain train headed north to be filled at points on the GLC. NS 9584 and 1031 were the power. The train had a crew change to a GLC crew at Osmer around 01:30. Wouldn't this be the first time the northern end (meaning north of Milan) of the Ann Arbor Railroad has had six-axle units since the 1980s? Last time would have been on the PC coal trains if I'm not mistaken.
Connor

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Run Through Power for AA/GLC

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Supposedly the power is supposed to stay with the train all the way to the MMRR.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I believe most of the coal trains were powered by four axle units. Usually four or five of them. BL-2 will know, he tracked every coal train on AA.

IIRC in the 80's or 90's the Owosso shops repaired a SD40-2 and took it for a test afterwards. It did some damage to the tracks. But these newer six-axle units have wheels that rotate with the tracks so perhaps they won't be as hard on the rails.
cfriedri wrote:Wouldn't this be the first time the northern end (meaning north of Milan) of the Ann Arbor Railroad has had six-axle units since the 1980s? Last time would have been on the PC coal trains if I'm not mistaken.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Awesome. Let's hope for a southbound daylight run back south. I have a great shot in mind.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Not sure about the AA but the TSBY/GLC has seen six axles in more recent years. They did work on LSRC SD40 5921 in Owosso a few years ago, and there were a few grain trains off CSX in the early 2000's that ran north of Owosso with run through CSX 6 axles.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

TrainWatcher wrote:Awesome. Let's hope for a southbound daylight run back south. I have a great shot in mind.
Rumors is look for it on Monday, or early this week. Are these NB empty a SB loads as per the usual? I guess there is supposed to be a batch of over a half dozen of these trains, or so I've heard.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

kckorienek
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kckorienek »

Pics or it didn't happen? It did, just in case anyone was doubting it...
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI

My RP Photos - I'm Kind Of Over This Site
Flickr - I Post Here A Lot More

"I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting."

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Excellent pic Kyle. Well held!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Eeeeeeeaaaaauuuuuu. Snooooooooooooooow!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

TrainWatcher wrote:Awesome. Let's hope for a southbound daylight run back south. I have a great shot in mind.
Unfortunately for you, Kyle had a much greater shot in mind. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Into Osmer at 3:15pm today, over the Huron River 4:15pm.

ImageStrange Power on the Ann Arbor by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageNS 1031 on the Ann Arbor Railroad Bridge by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

How maney cars did they have?

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

GP-35 wrote:How maney cars did they have?
90 IIRC
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

87 cars is the good count, very close to 90

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Nice perspective from the Phantom!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

J T wrote:
Nice perspective from the Phantom!
No no no, you see that is not a drone shot, It is a 200 foot tripod :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Never thought that their would be a chance of seeing an SD70ACe or a Gevo going up rails where GP35's and 38's reign supreme. Its like back in the old days when the Wabash would send power up to supplement the AA.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

MQT1223 wrote:Never thought that their would be a chance of seeing an SD70ACe or a Gevo going up rails where GP35's and 38's reign supreme. Its like back in the old days when the Wabash would send power up to supplement the AA.
Not that I don't believe you, but in my studies of the AA i have never come across a statment or photo suggesting that the Wabash and AA swapped power frequently. The DT&I did as I understand. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
-Kurt Vonnegut

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm not aware of AA and WAB using each others power like AA and DT&I did. It's possible it happened, though.

There are pictures of AA power on CR pulling unit sand trains from Toledo to Cleveland. This probably occurred during the one year CR operated AA (1976-1977).
ConrailMan5 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Never thought that their would be a chance of seeing an SD70ACe or a Gevo going up rails where GP35's and 38's reign supreme. Its like back in the old days when the Wabash would send power up to supplement the AA.
Not that I don't believe you, but in my studies of the AA i have never come across a statment or photo suggesting that the Wabash and AA swapped power frequently. The DT&I did as I understand. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I don't know is any Wabash power ever made it up the AA (I'm sure some did at some point), but I think the Century units from an eastern railroad were sent up the railroad at one time for a few trial runs. It was some sort of power swap between the Lehigh Valley and the DT&I (or maybe Wabash). The owner of the AA got some units as part of a temporary trade while one railroad evaluated the other. Whichever railroad owned the AA at the time got some Alco C units in return. Since the AA crews had experience with the Alco's they were used on the AA rather than be used by a generally EMD railroad. I'm not sure which Century units they were, but I thought some were 6 axel units.