SMRS is showing results

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: SMRS is showing results

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Curious if any mechanical work has been explored on the GMDH-3 since repainting. I understand being a one off has its challenges for this neat little unit.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Clay320 wrote: the fact that it would need to be trucked over the NS crossing, which requires a good chunk of our rainy day fund.
Here is how the guys in California deal with a missing diamond.

Last edited by James Sofonia on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

MQT1223 wrote:Curious if any mechanical work has been explored on the GMDH-3 since repainting. I understand being a one off has its challenges for this neat little unit.
Earlier this year we had an outside mechanic come to look it over. At this time it is not feasible to get it operating reliability. The issue is that it is the only one of its kind in the world, which means no parts, and almost no one who knows anything about it professionally. Additionally it was faulty when built, GM made special seals for the hydraulic piping, all of which on a summer day expand to the point that they leak badly. the GMDH is diesel hydraulic drive, and the reverser is also hydraulic powered. Due to the leaks, the reverser often will get stuck in forward, or reverse, and be unable to shift. The solution would be to rebuild the entire hydraulic system to a custom one that actually works, which is beyond our capacity now.

In its current state it can be made to limp along with some effort, so it may come to be our diesel version of the little blue tank engine, a unique engine pulling a special train a few times a year. It will not be a regular feature on our train unless it gets a rebuild though. In the meantime it has gotten paint to match its GM factory scheme, and will likely have a proper display place eventually.
Pixl wrote:Here is how the guys in California deal with a missing diamond.
This has been considered, but a good bit of work needs to be done on the land locked equipment to get it to roll well, and the track up to the diamond would need TLC. Defiantly an option we have in our bag-o-tricks, but don't expect it to happen next week! :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Clay320 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Curious if any mechanical work has been explored on the GMDH-3 since repainting. I understand being a one off has its challenges for this neat little unit.
Earlier this year we had an outside mechanic come to look it over. At this time it is not feasible to get it operating reliability. The issue is that it is the only one of its kind in the world, which means no parts, and almost no one who knows anything about it professionally. Additionally it was faulty when built, GM made special seals for the hydraulic piping, all of which on a summer day expand to the point that they leak badly. the GMDH is diesel hydraulic drive, and the reverser is also hydraulic powered. Due to the leaks, the reverser often will get stuck in forward, or reverse, and be unable to shift. The solution would be to rebuild the entire hydraulic system to a custom one that actually works, which is beyond our capacity now.

In its current state it can be made to limp along with some effort, so it may come to be our diesel version of the little blue tank engine, a unique engine pulling a special train a few times a year. It will not be a regular feature on our train unless it gets a rebuild though. In the meantime it has gotten paint to match its GM factory scheme, and will likely have a proper display place eventually.
Pixl wrote:Here is how the guys in California deal with a missing diamond.
This has been considered, but a good bit of work needs to be done on the land locked equipment to get it to roll well, and the track up to the diamond would need TLC. Defiantly an option we have in our bag-o-tricks, but don't expect it to happen next week! :)
I thought there was quite a bit of track on both sides of the NS line that was removed when the N&W removed the diamond in the 1980's.

Has EMD been contacted about the GMDH-3 or if you did make contact it got you no where due to the locomotive being the first, last, and only of its kind? I wonder how the GMDH-3 differs from one of her bigger cousins the GMDH-1's in the mechanical side of things.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

There is track, the issue is also dealing with MDOT as you'd have to cross Sand Creek Highway as well. Not just a simple cut and dry thing here. SMRS is making leaps and bounds as far as from when I joined back in 2012. It's always good to see someone locally making progress. Heck, in a few years if this works out right, Michigan could have it's version of IRM.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

On the north side of NS, there is a 1-200ish foot gap, with Raisin Center Hwy (not Sand Creek) cutting in between. On the other side rail comes up to within 50' or so.

We have talked to GM about the GMDH3, other than basic builder info they didn't have much to offer. With the GMDH-1s, there were 4 built (No GMDH-2s). One was the GMD plant switcher and is now in a Canadian museum, one went to Brazil and turned into razorblades, one went to Pakistan converted to broad gauge and is still running, and one is at a plant in Canada still running, with new engines under the hood.

The one stuffed and mounted would be the best bet to look at for a comparison, as the other one operating in Canada has been re-engined and likely not the same on the inside.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

On the other side rail comes up to within 50' or so
I'd say closer to 5-10 feet, I beat down the weeds and found the rails this spring, East rail is literally the edge of the weed line the West rail is about 5 back from that.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Re: SMRS Is Showing Some Results

Unread post by j32885 »

I was at SMRS recently with Mackinac Mac. He is training to be a SMRS Volunteer. Here are the videos from trip:

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Train Ride), 09-12-2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-SH80uS9YA

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Train Set), 09-12-2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_XfN0dIpMg

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Diesel Switchers), 09-12-2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_7oIEKH83c

Southern Michigan Railroad Society, 09-12-2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELWV-JH1XEQ

Southern Michigan Railroad Society, 09-12-2015 #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL7rAGKtSbk

Southern Michigan Railroad Society, 09-12-2015 #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghtTtH_ANkg

Southern Michigan Railroad Society, 09-12-2015 #4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG-ImUwQJY4

Southern Michigan Railroad Society, 09-12-2015 #5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFbTBxxJg24

Didn't make down to Raisin Center to see the other SMRS equipment. I'm sure not a lot has happen at this end. So, here are the video clips from 2013.

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Rolling Stock), 10-25-2013 #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSFxqi2J7h8

Southern Michigan Railroad Society (Rolling Stock), 10-25-2013 #4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjuopmeZS4M

My Overall Opinion: is that SMRS has Improved Greatly within 2 years of My Last Visit. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Couple questions again. Are track conditions going to inprove to where speeds can be raised or will the trains stay at a slow leasurely pace? Are their any signalized crossings on the line, I've notoced that on every Youtube Video that flagman are relyed on heavily to stop traffic.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

We travel at an average 8mph per our insurance policy. We will probably never operate over 10-15mph as the scenery goes by too fast otherwise. One of the big draws of our trips is the view and the open air car, so we want people to be able to enjoy it. In the future we may make use of higher speeds for shuttle service like we provide for the Clinton Fall Festival, but for regular operations the leisurely pace is the way to go.

The only crossing with flashers is at Sutton Road south of Tecumseh. We also have a key to turn the M-50 and Russell Road traffic lights red East-West and flashing red North-South. There are several crossings that we would like to see flashers at, but without grants it is cost prohibitive currently.

When we are shoving with the engine in the rear it is our policy to stop and flag for all public crossings, unless there is a mobile flagger traveling via road ahead of the train. When the engine is leading we generally only flag Logan Street, Evens Street, and Brown Street in Tecumseh as needed.
Last edited by Clay320 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Eric Berger »

It sure seems to be different from when I last rode, back in October 2001. Some highlights I remember include the Sutton Rd. crossing didn't seem to work, as I remember it, along with all other crossings, were flagged. The flaggers sped ahead of the train in their car, then they'd be waiting for us at the crossings; when the engineer hit the bell, they'd stand across the road and stop traffic.

I also remember that trip, we went to Raisin Center and had about a ten or fifteen minute layover there; just long enough for everyone to enjoy some cider and donuts before the return trip to Tecumseh.

And I agree -- no more than ten MPH is an ideal speed to enjoy the fall color. There was plenty of it on that run!

I work weekends now, so a trip is definitely out of the question...but I'm glad to see they're coming along!
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Here is a video from Sunday the 18th of the 4pm run. Just the highlights including departure, the crossings, the bridge, and arrival into Clinton. I set up the shot before continuing brakeman training and car hosting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50SaNOY1DWw

Editors notes: Filmed with permission, additionally I had originally used the YouTube stabilizer because it seemed to help with the stability when in all actuality it made it more distracting. So back to semi-shaky.

For those interested in the ride, the last weekend of fall color trains will be the Oct 30th-Nov 1st. Second chance tickets and walk up opportunities should still be available. We have not turned down a passenger on any of the runs I have worked, in fact last Sunday we made a second stop for some late comers in Tecumseh.

http://southernmichiganrailroad.com/
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'd guess that Allison built the transmission for it? Almost certainly non-production item, and with them being sold at least once since GM ownership, the sort of "legacy" information (drawings, parts lists etc.) may not exist any more. On the other hand, the prime mover (if I remember right) is a Detroit Diesel - which shouldn't be nearly as bad to scare up parts or mechanical familiarity for.

Clay320 wrote:On the north side of NS, there is a 1-200ish foot gap, with Raisin Center Hwy (not Sand Creek) cutting in between. On the other side rail comes up to within 50' or so.

We have talked to GM about the GMDH3, other than basic builder info they didn't have much to offer. With the GMDH-1s, there were 4 built (No GMDH-2s). One was the GMD plant switcher and is now in a Canadian museum, one went to Brazil and turned into razorblades, one went to Pakistan converted to broad gauge and is still running, and one is at a plant in Canada still running, with new engines under the hood.

The one stuffed and mounted would be the best bet to look at for a comparison, as the other one operating in Canada has been re-engined and likely not the same on the inside.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Sorry about the lousy sounding horn guys. I am repairing it, turns our the new diaphragms I made for the horn were too soft a material and did not resonate properly. I have already made one new diaphragm from the correct material and tried it out last weekend. And yes Leslie still sells the the diaphragms at $150 a set, they can keep em for that price.

Ypsi wrote:Here is a video from Sunday the 18th of the 4pm run. Just the highlights including departure, the crossings, the bridge, and arrival into Clinton. I set up the shot before continuing brakeman training and car hosting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50SaNOY1DWw

Editors notes: Filmed with permission, additionally I had originally used the YouTube stabilizer because it seemed to help with the stability when in all actuality it made it more distracting. So back to semi-shaky.

For those interested in the ride, the last weekend of fall color trains will be the Oct 30th-Nov 1st. Second chance tickets and walk up opportunities should still be available. We have not turned down a passenger on any of the runs I have worked, in fact last Sunday we made a second stop for some late comers in Tecumseh.

http://southernmichiganrailroad.com/
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

The horn was much louder and sounded better on Sunday.. Almost needed my ear protection when flagging the crossing 8) when that horn is tuned up it will sound sweet
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

MSchwiebert wrote:I'd guess that Allison built the transmission for it? Almost certainly non-production item, and with them being sold at least once since GM ownership, the sort of "legacy" information (drawings, parts lists etc.) may not exist any more. On the other hand, the prime mover (if I remember right) is a Detroit Diesel - which shouldn't be nearly as bad to scare up parts or mechanical familiarity for.
Yes, the Detroit isn't so much the issue, but the transmission and hydraulic plumping that causes use troubles. Those systems, particularly the hydraulics need a redesign and a rebuild, which is beyond our capabilities at the moment.
Ypsi wrote:The horn was much louder and sounded better on Sunday.. Almost needed my ear protection when flagging the crossing 8) when that horn is tuned up it will sound sweet
Much better that the single tone horn we had before, everyone hears us pulling into town! :)

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

We've been working on the railroad! Our Staib Road crossing is getting a rebuild, most of the work was this week, paving to be done by the road commission Monday.
Attachments
12065537_1617238888291735_4280151080574609285_n.jpg
12189153_1617359144946376_4611263320818299277_n.jpg
12193738_1617359571613000_3663166833357328591_n.jpg

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Nice job on the crossing! Don't remember what shape it was in when I rode the SMRS two weekends ago, but I'm sure it's in better shape after your TLC. Is that track vehicle yours? I didn't see it parked anywhere along the tracks when I rode it.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Yes, that is our new Hi-Rail truck. It belonged to a former member of the railroad, and is now at home in the SMRS collection.

I was riding point on the Fall Color trains today. Quite full despite the cold weather and drizzly/gray skies. That 3 chime on the 75 sounds impeccable. With some more time in my schedule I hope to be able to get out and start some shop work in the motorcar shop in the next few weeks.

SMRS is also still in need of members, while Fall Color tours are done, we still have plenty of track work, building maintenance, equipment maintenance, and a variety of other things to tackle. If you have some free time, we take anybody and everybody interested in helping the cause.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

iandt wrote:Nice job on the crossing! Don't remember what shape it was in when I rode the SMRS two weekends ago, but I'm sure it's in better shape after your TLC.
Some pretty hefty pot holes were developing between the rails. New ties, guard rails added, and new pavement. Additionally there was a switch just south of the crossing, over the years as the road has been widened to where the points of the switch were basically in the road. This made for extra wear on the switch and crossing. With the rebuild the switch was removed and its hardware retained for eventually installing a switch into our shop building. The switch originally was part of a siding that served a fertilizer plant.