NS on JAIL in Mason this morning 09-26-15.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS on JAIL in Mason this morning 09-26-15.

Unread post by wawatam »

MiddleMi, I'm just guessing, but I think you most likely saw the JAIL train on the 16th. Usually the JAIL train goes through Lansing with just a few cars and wouldn't block any streets if they were stopped at Michigan Ave. CSX trains on the other hand are usually much longer would likely hold up east of Pennsyvania Ave. or east of Harrison Rd. in East Lansing.

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWRalph »

I work about a half mile from the tracks in Mason. They have been very active today. I have heard them go north and south out of Mason at least five times. Just wish I could see what was going on. Any updates on the GP-9's in Jackson?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

admin edit: some info on tankcars removed that seem to get people in trouble by da police being called.

Edit 8:45

I came through Mason about 8:15 and it looked like they had just arrived from Jackson and were switching out the train with the 1751.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Discression being the better part of valor...good idea there Dan.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

admin edit: some info on tankcars removed that seem to get people in trouble by da police being called.
Oh yeah that's right I forgot ISIS frequents this forum and I heard they were planning on using the tank cars to take out the Dart Container's headquarters in Mason to destabilize the worlds supply of foam coffee cups and Red Solo Cups. Causing confusion and hysteria as the world would have nothing to hold their coffee and beer.

Or was that the daydream I had sitting at my desk this morning plotting against my boss... :twisted:
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

SousaKerry wrote:
Oh yeah that's right I forgot ISIS frequents this forum and I heard they were planning on using the tank cars to take out the Dart Container's headquarters in Mason to destabilize the worlds supply of Red Solo cups the world would have nothing to hold their beer.

d:
Hey now that could really screw things up for Us university students. Don't joke around! :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wawatam »

Apparently 1760 is back in service. It was in Mason this morning behind 1751.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Drove by Saginaw Yard on Sunday and tracks 1 to 4, 6 & 7 are full of storage tank cars. Haven't been there too long as the wheels are only lightly rusted.

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

Any more updates on this topic? Is ADBF 1751 still on the JAIL? If so, what is going on with 1758 & 1760? Have they gotten the passenger car repainted yet?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

It's been a couple of week since I've seen the train, but last I saw, the 1751 was still on JAIl along with one of the originals (I think 1760)

I did see the door open on the engine house one evening last week. It was too dark to get any good photos, but the passenger car is green (less olive than the CN color on the engines) with a yellow or gold stripe above and below the windows.

Edit 8:15 am 12/6/2015
Went by the Mason enginehouse this morning, and the 1758 is sitting outside by itself. It is facing long hood North, and both engines I saw last were long hood South, so the 1760 was most likely the one I saw earlier.

Best guess would be that the other two are inside the shop, but I don't know. With the business car, and the caboose on one track, it doesn't look like there would be room for 3 engines on the other.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

The train this morning had 1751 & 1760. The 1758 is still sitting outside the engine house.
Last edited by Dan Cluley on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

I've been by a few times during my lunch break over the last couple of weeks and nothing has been out at that time, all doors closed. What I find interesting is they have been leaving some of their MOW powered equipment such as rail drills sitting outside along the tracks across from the engine house. You would think this kind of equipment would be stored inside or at least under a tarp.

Small engines really go to hell pretty fast siting outside exposed to the elements for a few years.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

This morning 1758 was on the siding. 1760 and 1751 were powered up on the mainline looked to be heading to Lansing this morning. This is the first time I have seen all 3 engines in Mason.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Seems like the trains are getting back to Mason much earlier then they did this past summer. I do not hear them in the mornings at home so that means I am still asleep. Quite often I hear them walking into work at 7:30-8:00. That would put them leaving Jackson around 4-6 AM instead of 6-8AM.

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

Good morning all. I just drove by JAIL in Mason this morning as I always do on my way to work. I was surprised to see all 3 engines ( 1751, 1758,& 1760) idling on the main line. This the first time I have seen this.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for confirming there are three engines on JAIL. There was a discussion/disagreement a little while back about how many they assign to the line.
GTWRalph wrote:Good morning all. I just drove by JAIL in Mason this morning as I always do on my way to work. I was surprised to see all 3 engines ( 1751, 1758,& 1760) idling on the main line. This the first time I have seen this.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

[quote="AARR"]Thank you for confirming there are three engines on JAIL. There was a discussion/disagreement a little while back about how many they assign to the line.

You are welcome. I have not seen 1751 in a week or two. I assumed the engine returned back to Blissfield but I guess 1751 has been in the engine house all along. It was a nice surprise to see the three engines on the main line this morning I only wish I had my camera with me.

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

1760 is still on the siding by the JAIL building as of this morning It's been there for a while. I saw 1751 switching cars just north of the barn this morning and I assume 1758 was further north towards the Howell Rd crossing. The CV caboose has been sitting outside the building all week.
Attachments
CV Caboose.jpeg

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

Does anyone know if the plan is to keep 1751 on the JAIL line? Seems like if 1758 and 1760 were back up and running, they'd send 1751 back down to the ADBF line, if it was a temporary solution.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

No clue but I often see it sitting outside the engine house plugged in to keep it warm. My guess would be to keep it in Mason as a backup, considering the cost to ship it back down to Adrian if they don't need it down there why spend he money.