East Lansing Amtrak Station Article

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Re: East Lansing Amtrak Station Article

Unread post by Tim »

Was by the depot on Sunday noon and a small bulldozer has been added to the excavator that has been there since the old depot was demolished so I guess they actually may start construction on the parking lot after a months inactivity

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Yesterday they started digging a huge hole to remove contaminated soil on the site of the old station.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/stor ... /84670380/

There's so much idiocy associated with the whole bench fiasco I hardly know where to begin. They're the only benches I've sat on in my life that are designed specifically to discourage you from sitting on them! And even after CATA spends $23,888 on less hostile benches, people outside and in the vestibules (i.e., everybody waiting for 364) will still be stuck with the bad ones. There are plenty of active security cameras installed that can easily pick out vagrants, without the need for "anti-loitering" benches. $3,400 for each 8-foot section was a high price to pay for something that's horrible to sit in.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

I see they took the picnic table and stone benches from underneath the shade tree by the old depot. I wish they would put more picnic tables along the tree line because they are more comfortable than the outside "bum" benches they have.

As a 20 year East Lansing railfan, I'm struggling with alot of these changes. Goodrichs, EMOs, Quality Dairy no real through trains on the CSX. I see the new signals are up although last night they were burning red for hours. And of course the loss of our friend Bob after many years.

As to the benches CATA invented a solution to a problem that never existed. There were never a homeless problem with the old depot which is the excuse they used to close it down early. They should put more comfortable benches all the way around.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Hi Jim-- Yeah, the slide-off benches certainly don't encourage relaxation. One could bring a folding chair, I suppose. The new signals are constant-lit. Sure are bright! Tim and I have met in Durand a couple times at night lately, but it's a bit far to go when you usually don't see anything more. Maybe a GLC if you're lucky.

There was an occasional homeless person in the "old days," but they were more a source of good anecdotes than anything truly negative. CATA probably equates us railfans with bums. We certainly "loiter."

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Just keep one of these in the trunk of your car for railfanning at the Amtrak station. Beat this form over function nonsense! :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

For the second time in about 20 years it appears there will be a tie replacement crew later this year replacing ties on the north track.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Two little pieces of information:

- The long-term parking lot is graded and all the curbs and everything put in. Looks like all it needs is paving, now.

- CN will be reconstructing its crossing at Harrison Road. It's a terribly sunken crossing that is hell on suspensions, and it's noticeable given how relatively smooth the CSX crossing is directly a block south. It's scheduled to be completed by July 22nd.

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

jrgerber wrote:I see they took the picnic table and stone benches from underneath the shade tree by the old depot. I wish they would put more picnic tables along the tree line because they are more comfortable than the outside "bum" benches they have.

As a 20 year East Lansing railfan, I'm struggling with alot of these changes. Goodrichs, EMOs, Quality Dairy no real through trains on the CSX. I see the new signals are up although last night they were burning red for hours. And of course the loss of our friend Bob after many years.

As to the benches CATA invented a solution to a problem that never existed. There were never a homeless problem with the old depot which is the excuse they used to close it down early. They should put more comfortable benches all the way around.
I did not know Bob passed away as I more often than not watched trains roll through Haslett the last couple of years. :cry:
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

MiddleMI wrote:Two little pieces of information:

- The long-term parking lot is graded and all the curbs and everything put in. Looks like all it needs is paving, now.

- CN will be reconstructing its crossing at Harrison Road. It's a terribly sunken crossing that is hell on suspensions, and it's noticeable given how relatively smooth the CSX crossing is directly a block south. It's scheduled to be completed by July 22nd.
The sad part is if I remember correctly, CN redid this crossing just 2 years ago when the entire road saw the repaving and reconstruction project. Given that it's a terribly busy crossing but why do the CN crossings wear down sooner than CSX? Just the fact that there are only a couple CSX trains per day rolling through causing less pressure on their crossings? Or does that have nothing to do with it?
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

CATA continues to inconvenience patrons of their new Capital Area Multimodal Gateway as on June 26 they totally eliminated all parking, including handicap spaces, to work on the parking lot addition. Everyone must now walk the three tens of a mile to the MSU lot 83. They have been sort of working half-heartedly on this lot for four months. As usual there was no one working on said project the last two times I drove by although they have removed the temporary fence.
The Lansing State Journal on 6/23/16 reported CATA, after some complaints, has realized they solved a non-existent problem with vagrants by using the sloping seats that short people and kids can’t set in. They will be replacing the seven sloping benches inside the area open during business hours with the same style ones only with level seats. The $23,388 cost will be covered with the left over funds still in the construction budget. The sloped seating will stay in the always open locations and the metal benches with the sloped seats will be moved outdoors for additional seating for waiting travelers. I saw no signs of this happening yesterday.
Apparently CATA, who has no money invested in this project and funds left over, has decided to turn this into a cash cow as they will be charging for parking, to the best of knowledge, the only one in Michigan to do so. As to why this change, CATA has yet to reply to my emails.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

What was the exact amount CATA invested in the station? My understanding was the station was paid for by federal grant monies so in essence the taxpayers had already paid for the station. The current parking cost will be $10 per day. CATA explained they needed these funds to operate the station. So what are the patrons getting for their monies? Expanded hours to access the station (and the restrooms)?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

I think what they are getting is a lot that isnt half filled up by MSU students.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Amtrak agent is there from 7 am to 2:30 pm with a CATA agent there from 9 am to 6 pm Mon through Fri with an hour off for lunch noon to 1 pm. So the depot will be open an extra 3:30. CATA buses stop out on Harrison Rd when it’s open so I doubt she sells very many of those tickets. For the intercity buses, the driver handled the tickets when they were using the old depot.
CATA has no money invested and apparently has funds left over from this project.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Frankly I'm surprised this article was written sooner. The reporter should have asked what CATA is doing with the parking monies as the station hours haven't been expanded and most CATA operations are supported by property tax levies. Secondly zero CATA money or Amtrak money was used to build the new station, its mostly federal tax dollars already paid by the parking patrons. So essentially CATA wants to charge parking to customers who already support it through local property taxes and federal taxes. Triple dipping in other words for the same crappy station hours.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/stor ... /95646416/

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Wonder what CATA is doing with all that parking money?

Not doing so well with paying their taxes, lack of internal controls. Need complete outside audit from new auditors source of funds and where the monies are going.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/stor ... /99300816/