CN Diamond Charge

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

CN Diamond Charge

Unread post by Super Chief »

As I was making my way back from PM 1225 and Owosso I stopped in Durand at the depot to see the Model T car show they were having there. Saw the HO layout operate and was talking to some folks. They claim for any steam engine to cross the diamond there the charge from CN is going to be $10,000 per axle? Anybody else know or can confirm it?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN Diamond Charge

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Sounds like someone is blowing smoke up some where. :lol:

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I have no knowledge of a charge but the ramps on the low-speed route may be incapable of supporting the weight of a steam engine. It it were crossing the diamond on the Flint Sub, I don't see a problem.
Norm

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Guess you could wye to the Flint Sub. cross over and back into Owosso? That at least would keep you off of it. I think1225 and tender are 400 tons combined but rolling across I don't know the impact rate? $10,000 per axle would pretty much keep 765 and others from coming up if true.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

400 tons yes, but riding on 13 axles. The load is distributed. Heavy yes, but I don't think the diamonds would be like a bridge where total weight matters.

Prolly just foamer pot stirring.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Your probably right MQT the lady who runs the depot gift shop was the source. She came out with that after I told her we just took the 600 people to Cadillac for their car show. She was busy getting hers ready that day but the wind was blowing a storm in Sunday which didn't impact them. The SRI people will know if a charge like that is in place I'm sure.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I've heard that the diamond is scheduled to be replaced again. The sub-contractor that put it in back in 2009/2010 will be doing the work as the diamond is settling and is causing issues according to CN MoW staff.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

trnwatcher wrote:I've heard that the diamond is scheduled to be replaced again. The sub-contractor that put it in back in 2009/2010 will be doing the work as the diamond is settling and is causing issues according to CN MoW staff.
Hoped they saved their receipts...

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Sub-contractor that put it in? Ummmm.... Didn't know CN's own maintenance of way crews were sub-contractors. CN replaced their own diamond with their own crews.

As for the $10k per axle charge... Smoke up the butt comment. There is a charge for using the trackage rights as laid out in the agreement with CN and GLC because the move is treated as a GLC move for the purpose of the rights
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

DR,

You're right about CN doing the work. I photographed most of it till it got too dark.

Do you know of any weight limit on the low speed route?
Norm

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

I've seen 286k loaded cars plus numerous heavy loads use the flange bearing diamonds. 1225 has traversed it along with 765 with no issues.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.