Wolverine consist info- Summer 2015

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Wolverine consist info- Summer 2015

Unread post by Ypsi »

This winter I kept track of the wolverine equiptment changes or notes on the "winter ops" thread I started a while back. I kinda like the idea so I will keep going with it over the spring/summer/ fall period here (all bunched as summer because they are not winter :lol:). I will post updats on consist info if I see something intesting like extra amfleets, long consist, short consist, different locomotives (not really much there for the Wolverines thanks to ITCS), ect. So I'll keep those here as well as possibably a couple photos or videos I take of intesting consist if any are seen.

To start it up, 353 today had 3 amfleets and 2 horizon cars. 2 amfleet coaches and 1 amfleet cafe/ business class car. Normally we only see amfleet cafes, and it is uncommon to see more then one stray amfleet in consist. It seems as though a couple amfleets have been mixed into the pool for now.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Wolverine consist info- Summer 2015

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

This all-Amfleet set was running up and down the Lincoln Service line last week: http://www.railpictures.net/images/d2/2 ... 129280.jpg

So either they broke that consist up and Michigan got a few of them, or additional Amfleets came out to the Midwest as well. I have to say, as someone who can see solid Amfleet consists daily out here in CT, they're still smart looking cars after all these years - and a solid train of matching Amfleets with the stainless corrugated steel look pretty classy.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

They aren't quite Budd Co. shot-welded Stainless Stell long distance chair cars from the '50s, but I'll give a set of Amfleets credit for still looking better than the Horizons. In the case of the refurbished cars on the CHI-STL corridor, they are nicer on the inside than the Horizon fleet as well.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

A whole matched set of Horizon's isn't too bad looking. Mixing the two doesn't do either car type any favors. On the other hand, most passengers probably don't even notice, as long as it's got a comfy seat, and they arrive reasonably close to on-time. :)

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Which Wolverine set usually has the most cars? Are they still running the engines back-to-back on the front of each train?
Are any Superliners still running on a MI train?

Thanks!

Andy
Jacksonville, FL

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

The longest consist will be 352-351 or 354-353 depending on the day. So far 350 has been between 4-5 cars, while 352-351 and 354-353 has been from 5-7 cars. No more superliners, and engines are on each end. Durning the summer we may see lengthier trains on a couple sets, regularly running 6-7 cars.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Longest consist I ever was in on a Michigan train was Thanksgiving weekend 2011 Sunday afternoon/evening. 364 had 2 locomotives, 8 coaches (all 8 in service), and 2 cafes-lounges. Both serving and attended. All single level equipment.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Today in Ann Arbor, both WB 353 and EB 350 had their usual boring summer consists, 4 Horizons, an Amfleet cafe and a locomotive on each end.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Jetlink wrote:Longest consist I ever was in on a Michigan train was Thanksgiving weekend 2011 Sunday afternoon/evening. 364 had 2 locomotives, 8 coaches (all 8 in service), and 2 cafes-lounges. Both serving and attended. All single level equipment.
In terms of normal train sets, the best I have done is the 10 cars as jetlink said, there was the trip on thanksgiving day with the dome too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fneT6tlaNbg

There is also this monster from last winter, combined 351/353 4 locos and 10 cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dULpILPmfg

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Some interesting consists on 355 and 352 this evening. 355 had one less car, making it an Amfleet cafe+3 Horizon coach consist, and 352, when we passed it in Ypsi, had 6 cars, 3 Horizon coach+2 Amfleet coach+an Amfleet cafe. Saw someone shooting the meet, but only briefly, was it you Ypsi?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

iandt wrote:Some interesting consists on 355 and 352 this evening. 355 had one less car, making it an Amfleet cafe+3 Horizon coach consist, and 352, when we passed it in Ypsi, had 6 cars, 3 Horizon coach+2 Amfleet coach+an Amfleet cafe. Saw someone shooting the meet, but only briefly, was it you Ypsi?
Yessir, was down off of a small dead end street doing my thing. I'll have it processed tonight or tomorrow. Got some neat shots with the old signals and couple trains. I like the trilights and they will be gone in the near future, so I'm attempting to get coverage while I can. I assume you were riding 355 and passed us WB on the clear signal.

350/355 has been 4 cars for about a week or so now

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

iandt wrote:Saw someone shooting the meet, but only briefly, was it you Ypsi?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdc2PUG2ZD0

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

352-04 and 351-05 will have a baggage car. interesting consist of two P42's, a 1700 series baggage, and 5 coaches.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:352-04 and 351-05 will have a baggage car. interesting consist of two P42's, a 1700 series baggage, and 5 coaches.

was planning on stills but this video from my T3i will work for now. Will get them again in the morning

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:352-04 and 351-05 will have a baggage car. interesting consist of two P42's, a 1700 series baggage, and 5 coaches.
Nice catch! It's funny, on Friday in Ann Arbor a man came in and asked the guy at the counter if they had a baggage car on the Wolverines, to which he replied "we haven't seen a baggage car here in years!" Odd inclusion, this summer looks like it may be an interesting time for Amtrak's after all.

On Friday I got to ride in an Amfleet coach for the first time on 350. It wasn't much different than the Horizons, but still fun nonetheless.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

We will see if 352/351 starts to carry a baggage. Of all trains it makes sense, 351 makes connections with the long distance trains. The other one that would make sense is 354 kind of, but Amtrak won't sell close connections on 354 so not all long distance trains can connect with 354. There is also the possibility that they were transporting a coffin (I am pretty sure Amtrak still does such, and I can see them doing his on request or for a fallen soldier).

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

350 by today a nice mixed up consist

28 Leading
Amfleet 1 coach
Horizon coach
Horizon coach
Amfleet 1 coach
Amfleet 1 café
37 on the trail

Personally I am hoping we see a nice mix up of coaches this year, Amfleets and Amfleet 2's would be a nice addition since the power wont change too much for now.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Word is the baggage car was for a ski trip out west. So it should make one more appearance at some point.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Word is the baggage car was for a ski trip out west. So it should make one more appearance at some point.
Yeah, we get a Baggage super on the PM for Spring Break every year...Hope College out of Holland. They do use it, too! Usually leave for the first weekend in April. I think they return the next week.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

A couple train sets are down to 4 cars currently, 350/355 train set from yesterday was just 4 cars and 2 locomotives as well as the 358 and today's 351 train set.