Caboose question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Caboose question

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I know that class one rail roads still occasionally use cabooses as platforms, especially on local trains. That being said does the conductor ride in the caboose on those trips or still rides in the locomotive? I read an article that NS is fixing up its caboose fleet. Does anyone have details on that, will it include new heating and cooling, bathrooms, maybe a bar...lol. My overall question is, is the caboose used as a caboose, little stove and all or does no one ever go in them at all and the only used thing is the back platform.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Caboose question

Unread post by MQT1223 »

wagnew0923 wrote:I know that class one rail roads still occasionally use cabooses as platforms, especially on local trains. That being said does the conductor ride in the caboose on those trips or still rides in the locomotive? I read an article that NS is fixing up its caboose fleet. Does anyone have details on that, will it include new heating and cooling, bathrooms, maybe a bar...lol. My overall question is, is the caboose used as a caboose, little stove and all or does no one ever go in them at all and the only used thing is the back platform.
I think they are only used on back up maneuvers anymore on yard jobs, locals or some shorter regional trains. Hardly any long distance trains use them since FRED's came around, and if they are on a long distance train I bet they are not used like their intended use. Conductors usually ride in the cab of the diesels anymore. When I watched Y195 do its business in Grandville the conductor got off the locomotive and walked to the caboose for the return back to Wyoming Yard (I think it was the conductor). That being said it doesn't mean NS uses them differently.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Most, but not all, CSX cabs have been stripped of their interiors. With the train handling skill of some engineers it would be rough riding back there.

Indy did have one fully equipped cab assigned to an old head crew. Still had the kerosene stove in it. They'd make lunch on it. Once they retired, cab quickly fell into disrepair.

Practice Safe CSX

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:Most, but not all, CSX cabs have been stripped of their interiors. With the train handling skill of some engineers it would be rough riding back there.

Indy did have one fully equipped cab assigned to an old head crew. Still had the kerosene stove in it. They'd make lunch on it. Once they retired, cab quickly fell into disrepair.

Practice Safe CSX
Isn't there some CSX caboose that was painted into some heritage paint scheme like B&O Terminal a few years back? One of the members of this forum showed me a picture of it and it looked really good.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

As I have seen and heard that you could therorrticslly ride in the caboose or even the cupola if you really wanted, but I don't think that that is as common as just riding the platform. As CSX_CO said, the interiors are trashed I'm sure. For instance, the doors on the old CR hack in Wayne Michigan yard are always open when I see it. Not much care taken by most crews.
The caboose displayed at holland Ohio has locomotive style seats facing the windows, not sure if that's common on many of the shoving platforms in service, but it would appear that they were designed for sitting there.
Not an expert, but my .02
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I am reasonably sure the two still used in Jackson Yard are trashed inside. I have only seen the crews riding the rear platform and whistling for crossings, the doors are usually open and most of the windows are plated over. The bay window caboose is used for backup moves down the industrial sidings to Dawn foods, MAC(gredau?) Steel, and Worthington Steel. There is an old Conrail Transfer Caboose in the yard as well I have seen it moved a few times but never used and I am not sure why it is still there and has not been cut up yet.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

One of the cabooses that CSX uses on the Y195, whether it be the Chessie or CSX caboose I don't remember, is still equipped with a caboose whistle. Not sure how many of those are left on cabooses either. Never heard on in real life. Squeaky little things they are.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Skip to the end for Max's Y195 caboose...the only operable one remaining in GR

Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Skip to the end for Max's Y195 caboose...the only operable one remaining in GR

Define what you mean by operable? Because the Chessie Extended vision caboose that I keep mentioning I have seen on that yard job and I have seen it in the yard from the freeway.

Ibflattop
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ibflattop »

To answer your caboose question. I hired out on NS in the mid 90s out of Ft.Wayne Indiana. When I was running the local out of East Wayne Yards. We would have a caboose on the end. Well all locals have a Caboose. Conductor usually rides upfront with the engineer to call signals, to write up the Forms, and to talk to Dispatch. Now on one NS local I went out with we used the Caboose as a shoving platform. My conductor that was training me and myself stood on the cabooses platform Blowing the cabooses whistle at each of the crossings that we encountered. When we finished all of our switching we rode back to East Wayne in the Cupola of the caboose instead of the engine.
No heat in the Boose, no crapper, no lights except for FRED hanging off of the back. Poor Poor Fred......... :) Kevin
LF 22 head them west!!!!!
Dispatch this is NS 261: We have a Green Board!!!!!

CIOR conductor taking up 2 mains and a Siding!!!!!!!! :)
Not called E.O.T. ; "Called Running on Markers!!!!!!!!!"

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Skip to the end for Max's Y195 caboose...the only operable one remaining in GR

Define what you mean by operable? Because the Chessie Extended vision caboose that I keep mentioning I have seen on that yard job and I have seen it in the yard from the freeway.
Operable means usable. This caboose was recently transferred to Holland for use on Y121 and Y223. All of the other ones are bad ordered.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

So Y195 has to ride all the way from Ivanrest to Lamar and beyond? Ouch

Holland seems to be a black hole of cabooses...didn't they get two just a couple years ago? Plus that modified platform?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:

Operable means usable. This caboose was recently transferred to Holland for use on Y121 and Y223. All of the other ones are bad ordered.
How many bad ordered cabooses does CSX have laying around in GR and Holland?

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

The GTW caboose assigned to Kalamazoo is serviceable but the interior is completely boarded up. From what I've seen its got nice seats up in the cupola