Stub end railyards in Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Stub end railyards in Michigan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Ypsi Yard on the Michigan Line.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

ns8401 wrote:Ypsi Yard on the Michigan Line.
Are you talking about Willow Run? I know there was talk of the east ladder coming out but I never heard for sure...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:
Are you talking about Willow Run? I know there was talk of the east ladder coming out but I never heard for sure...
If you look at the handy maps you made, it's the two tracks west of CP-Ypsi. There is a switch off the mainline that leads to the old eastbound main and the yard lead for the Former Ypsi Freight House. They were stub ended in the last maybe 5 years. They were in place after the freight house closed so they could access the Ford Spur just to the east. That is what remains of a 5 track yard. 4 yard tracks plus the lead were there with another 2 behind the freight house.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

ns8401 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
If you look at the handy maps you made, it's the two tracks west of CP-Ypsi. There is a switch off the mainline that leads to the old eastbound main and the yard lead for the Former Ypsi Freight House. They were stub ended in the last maybe 5 years. They were in place after the freight house closed so they could access the Ford Spur just to the east. That is what remains of a 5 track yard. 4 yard tracks plus the lead were there with another 2 behind the freight house.
Okay you are talking about that yard. I thought maybe you were talking about Willow Run...which I have heard called Ypsi yard before, so I wanted to make sure...but I guess I should expect you of all people to use proper names... :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

:lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 9.57.01 PM.png
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Dokter No and Z? how bout that :lol:
Okay you are talking about that yard. I thought maybe you were talking about Willow Run...which I have heard called Ypsi yard before, so I wanted to make sure...but I guess I should expect you of all people to use proper names... :wink:
Willow Run is definitely NOT Ypsi Yard, if you hear anybody call it that, tell them they are very close but wrong yard. :lol:
Last edited by ns8401 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Doktor No wrote:Wyoming 36th Street ex Fisher Body yard on GDLK is too.
This yard was stubbed back in the 70's when 36th St got widened. The first switch for the north end lead was almost in the west bound lane of 36th St.
The two tracks closest to the Fisher 2 where stubbed as long as I can remember. The rest where connected off the ladder.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

AARR wrote:At one time GTW/CN had a large stub end yard on the south side of 8 Mile Rd Detroit/Warren border (railroad name Nolan). For many years it was an old car storage cemetery. Been gone for 10 years or there abouts.
I'm not sure if its technically a yard anymore or just a spur, but regardless the 515 job out of Pontiac usually works at Nolan very often. One of the businesses out there receives loads of lumber.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

CSX's Wayne Yard is stub-ended. Most (if not all) of the yard tracks have ramps at the end of them to load autoracks which consumes all of Wayne Yard.

CSX's Newburg/ Chevy Yard just north of Wayne is also stub-ended with a run-around track on the west-side of the main line. All the stub-ended tracks terminate to a large pile of ballast.

Other CSX yards in the area such as North Yard and East Yard in Plymouth and Lincoln Yard in Wixom are bi-directional.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

The LS&I ore dock yard in Marquette has a four (formerly 5 or 6) track yard on the north side that are stubs. The adjacent RIP track is also a stub.

The yard is used to store ore cars and the locomotive crane used for dock service and repairs.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The C&O had a stub yard at Weston and Grandville after 131 was built for the old PM freight house. That yard lasted until the 1980's. There is a photo and a section about it on the PMHS website. I am going to make my first attempt at putting a link in a thread so hopefully I don't screw it up.http://www.pmhistsoc.org/cgi-bin/galler ... grfhbumprs
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

If you stretch the definition alittle bit,MSO's Sturgis yard could be considered stub-ended if you look at the main and passing track east of M-66 as just storage tracks now.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

MQT1223 wrote:The C&O had a stub yard at Weston and Grandville after 131 was built for the old PM freight house. That yard lasted until the 1980's. There is a photo and a section about it on the PMHS website. I am going to make my first attempt at putting a link in a thread so hopefully I don't screw it up.http://www.pmhistsoc.org/cgi-bin/galler ... grfhbumprs
Pretty sure these were always stub ended at the freight houses.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Actually MSO's Sturgis yard is stub-ended in three directions with the only outlet to the west. North to Abbott Labs, east to Big Hill Rd., and south to the toll road. Assume all are yard limits.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:The C&O had a stub yard at Weston and Grandville after 131 was built for the old PM freight house. That yard lasted until the 1980's. There is a photo and a section about it on the PMHS website. I am going to make my first attempt at putting a link in a thread so hopefully I don't screw it up.http://www.pmhistsoc.org/cgi-bin/galler ... grfhbumprs
Pretty sure these were always stub ended at the freight houses.
Well I wasn't around in the 1940's or 1980's. It would make sense to me if they stubbed it after the freeway was built, but if it was always like that then there was an obvious reason for it.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the BOC yard in Hamtramck yet as a stub end example. It's the one which serves the Hamtramck Assembly Plant. It's probably the only example where the stub has actually switched ends - until recently, it was connected at the west end to the GTW/CN and operated as a CN yard. In 2014, this connection was removed and a new connecting track was built into the east end for service by Conrail SAA.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GTW6401 wrote:
AARR wrote:At one time GTW/CN had a large stub end yard on the south side of 8 Mile Rd Detroit/Warren border (railroad name Nolan). For many years it was an old car storage cemetery. Been gone for 10 years or there abouts.
I'm not sure if its technically a yard anymore or just a spur, but regardless the 515 job out of Pontiac usually works at Nolan very often. One of the businesses out there receives loads of lumber.
The yard was removed around 10 or more years ago. Now it is a run around track and as you pointed out Nolan Distributors which gets a lot of lumber.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

mutant of Flat Rock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mutant of Flat Rock »

C&O / Chessie - Grand Blanc Yard serving a GM plant comes to mind....

what about yards with wyes in them?
Be swell

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

Thanks guys. I have some pretty solid ideas of what Im going to do. When I get some ties down, I'll share photos.

thanks again

Patrick Welch
Patrick Welch

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

mutant of Flat Rock wrote:C&O / Chessie - Grand Blanc Yard serving a GM plant comes to mind....

what about yards with wyes in them?
Jackson Yard and Willow Run Yard on the Michigan Line both have wyes in them.