GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Super Chief »

Thanks 1 Track for the info, would like to see both 35s together just once.On a different note the scuttlebutt on a possible new way to negotiate downtown Kazoo is that the city is looking at a route that would go north off the Michigan line and proceed north to Grand Rapids. Will see what the powers to be come up with?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Somewhere I have a shot of 3531 and 3534 working 120 in Grand Rapids together, I'll have to see if I can find that.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Did find 3531 & 3534 together on same track at Gearhart but not connected. Also NS 7129 & 5334 in from Jackson. CN 5479 was at Kilgore yard.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Checked out things in Bristol today. New crossing being prepared for SR120 east of town, will be closed for a week. Also installing new switch for customer just west of crossing as it was a southbound (westbound ) switch for 501, when finished will be a northbound (eastbound ) switch for 501. 501 came thru at 1:30pm westbound with good size train, 302 came thru Three Rivers at 3:30pm northbound with 4209 & 4206 pulling a really good size train.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

I have seen or heard 501 heading north thru Portage about noon-ish on several Tuesdays. Is their pattern to run south on Mondays, turn and head back then die on time somewhere, then continue north on Tuesday? If so, what about the other days? Or, if different, what is their usual pattern? Where in Bristol (or that area) is a passing siding for 501 to run around its train to head back north?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

There is a 12,750ft controlled siding at the state lne (CP14 to CP16 White Pigeon). 4.6 miles east of SR120.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

They do have a passing siding in Bristol proper. Starts at the crossing nearest downtown and goes west with sidings coming off it in both directions. 501 has been recrewed also some days as they go on duty 9am in Kazoo and some nights are going north thru Three Rivers way past midnight.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

With the code line work in progress all signals in Three Rivers are dark and the detector at 25.6 is silent. Crews have been calling out Control Points over the radio. A lot of CDL contractor trucks in every shanty and crews on top of signals. This week should be interesting on train times with the Bristol crossing being worked on all week and the like.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

GDLK northbound at Plainwell between 1640 and 1700. 4124 leading. About 66 cars, plus or minus 2, I was eating and might have lost count. Lots of IAIS hoppers. Lots of boxes. They had the crossing on M 89 blocked for quite some time, apparently setting off some cars on the siding.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Pretty sure I jussssssstt missed GDLK switching at L&W Supply in Grand Rapids. Heard a horn out the window, strolled down there to check, and no train. Last night, TTZX 863038 was there empty, and as of 3pm, TTZX 862932 was there fully loaded. Heard the quick succession of horns for 32nd and then at Madison, but must have been departing L&W at that time.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Huge Grand Elk 302 at Cowling 3 units, power was beyond Cowling switch at North Main St. and rear was just at the signals at Park. Never seen a train the entire length of the siding and beyond. The conductor was in the truck next to train to see how long they were going to be there. With Bristol crossing work going on a long time.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Cotherman Lake Rd. by Wilbur Ellis finally gets crossing protection as it has been dark its entire life. 302 and 501 are having a lot of wait time at Cowling with all the summer work going on in Bristol. Wouldn't be surprised if there will be weekend extras.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Up at Hughart today, just 7030 and lots of tank cars and covered hoppers in the yard. Looks like some extra revenue from car storage for Watco.

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Super Chief wrote:Up at Hughart today, just 7030 and lots of tank cars and covered hoppers in the yard. Looks like some extra revenue from car storage for Watco.
Tanks have been there for a bit just been hidden by all the sand cars.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Went by Gearhart yesterday and the daily Kalamazoo Elkhart road blocker labeled 501 this day was at work backing the front half to the back half, 11:00am no less. Cars were backed up to where King Hwy comes to Michigan. Because of the tight window NS gives them to get into Elkhart yard I guess this could never become a night job? Then I look at all the brand new track in place for the never going to happen stone project and wonder why that track couldn't be used for a road train departure track? Seems with a few modifications this track could be used for that purpose. Well as I've said since starting this thread years ago maybe a 4-5 track yard between Park & Cowling would be the answer to do all this out of town.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

"Then I look at all the brand new track in place for the never going to happen stone project..."

It seems this has been taking a long time to happen but why is it never going to happen?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

There has been no information on who it is and the same thing happened with the stone train for Olivers yard which was suppose to originate on the NS Peru branch. Its just not a sure thing from what I can gather. When the marketing manager for Elk went to Lake States there seems to be a lull in new customer face to face interaction.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Super Chief wrote:There has been no information on who it is and the same thing happened with the stone train for Olivers yard which was suppose to originate on the NS Peru branch. Its just not a sure thing from what I can gather. When the marketing manager for Elk went to Lake States there seems to be a lull in new customer face to face interaction.
Just because its not public doesn't mean its not happening.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Super Chief wrote:Up at Hughart today, just 7030 and lots of tank cars and covered hoppers in the yard. Looks like some extra revenue from car storage for Watco.
I noticed this AM that they have CH's stored on one of the tracks at Fisher (north of 44th St) again. Looked to be a pretty decent sized strong of cars.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Super Chief wrote:Went by Gearhart yesterday and the daily Kalamazoo Elkhart road blocker labeled 501 this day was at work backing the front half to the back half, 11:00am no less. Cars were backed up to where King Hwy comes to Michigan. Because of the tight window NS gives them to get into Elkhart yard I guess this could never become a night job? Then I look at all the brand new track in place for the never going to happen stone project and wonder why that track couldn't be used for a road train departure track? Seems with a few modifications this track could be used for that purpose. Well as I've said since starting this thread years ago maybe a 4-5 track yard between Park & Cowling would be the answer to do all this out of town.
There is a lead east of the yard that could be used.