GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Saw a photo on Facebook that estimates the flooded areas of Kalamazoo. Looks like roughly half of Gearhart is flooded. How will that affect GDLK operations going forward?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

My son-in-law said 3 Elk trains went through today at 54th Street in Wyoming. Not sure which direction. At 4:30 I saw a northbound a 54th with around 60 cars.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Attached in the link is a photo I found on Facebook that shows the current condition of Gearhart. It looks like they either evacuated a bunch of cars or stuffed most of them on the northern half.

https://ibb.co/eY8oJH

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Notice all the power is gone. Must have took every engine to Grand Rapids. The GP-7 will have some company.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Attached in the link is a photo I found on Facebook that shows the current condition of Gearhart. It looks like they either evacuated a bunch of cars or stuffed most of them on the northern half.

https://ibb.co/eY8oJH
Now instead of a yardmaster, they have a harbormaster!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

There were 4 jet skis under the overpass on Michigan Ave today. Elk crews will be issued kayaks to get to the switches. Lake Gearhart now available to water sports. The new stone plant didn't come soon enough. Could have used some to shore up the river but it wouldn't have had enough. Gib and Gibson are underwater too.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Super Chief wrote:Notice all the power is gone. Must have took every engine to Grand Rapids. The GP-7 will have some company.

Not all of it. Another photo shows 4124 near where the old roundhouse was. There's also a widecab geep and GATX 2204 on the first yard track, hooked up to the longest cut of cars. Other than that, it seems that they've evacuated most of the power.

Additionally, it seems that there are cars all the way down the yard lead.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

There now saying the St. Joseph river won't be less then flood stage till next Saturday. With only 4 tracks usable at Gearhart in the picture those cars gotta go somewhere to get more from Jackson in there. I'm sure the general manager has his hands full for the next week sorting it all out. Crews rested for trains, Elkhart calling to see when there coming, and hoping the yard dries out.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Here's where 4225 is staying for now.
IMG_0413_j.jpg
It's on the LS&MS just west of the N. Main St.crossing in Plainwell. That's the same crossing where recently the school bus barely escaped being crushed by the onrushing train. Lots of hoppers are visible, there are some boxcars farther west.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Jim_c wrote:... the school bus barely escaped being crushed by the onrushing train.
Proof? Even the photographer who took the darn pictures said that the bus safely crossed. "Barely escaped" is exaggeration.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

justalurker66 wrote:
Jim_c wrote:... the school bus barely escaped being crushed by the onrushing train.
Proof? Even the photographer who took the darn pictures said that the bus safely crossed. "Barely escaped" is exaggeration.

Perhaps I should have put LOL after it. I thought when I also used "onrushing" that the reader would catch the intentional exaggeration. I don't think there has been an "onrushing" train on that line in many years.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Jim_c wrote:"onrushing"
Ahh ... I missed the inference.

tryake
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tryake »

4209 and another SD unit hooked onto the 4225 and pulled it and the string of cars off the Otsego line this afternoon around 3:00 pm. Conductor jumped off to align the switch back to the main after the train cleared and continued south. Conductor then jumped into a pickup and left. I picked up my grandsons from school and headed into Kalamazoo but never caught up with the train. May have rolled right through town to the south or stopped north of Mozel ave. We didn't have time to look.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

tryake wrote:4209 and another SD unit hooked onto the 4225 and pulled it and the string of cars off the Otsego line this afternoon around 3:00 pm. Conductor jumped off to align the switch back to the main after the train cleared and continued south. Conductor then jumped into a pickup and left. I picked up my grandsons from school and headed into Kalamazoo but never caught up with the train. May have rolled right through town to the south or stopped north of Mozel ave. We didn't have time to look.
Doubtful they went south of BO. Last I checked, that area is still flooded completely over the rails. I wouldn’t have risked it and I’m not sure the crew would’ve either, not after what happened in Wyoming.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

tryake wrote:4209 and another SD unit hooked onto the 4225 and pulled it and the string of cars off the Otsego line this afternoon around 3:00 pm. Conductor jumped off to align the switch back to the main after the train cleared and continued south. Conductor then jumped into a pickup and left. I picked up my grandsons from school and headed into Kalamazoo but never caught up with the train. May have rolled right through town to the south or stopped north of Mozel ave. We didn't have time to look.
Was suppose to go to CP1

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I heard GDLK #101 south at Schoolcraft this evening.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Hearing 120 working around the south side of Grand Rapids currently.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Looks like GDLK is operating again. A Standard car has left Elkhart after being there since the 22nd.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Raildudes dad wrote:Looks like GDLK is operating again. A Standard car has left Elkhart after being there since the 22nd.
It only made it to Schoolcraft. Must be still issues in Kazoo.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Raildudes dad wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:Looks like GDLK is operating again. A Standard car has left Elkhart after being there since the 22nd.
It only made it to Schoolcraft. Must be still issues in Kazoo.

WWMT’s Andy Dominiani put on his Facebook page that they got stopped downtown today by Grand Elk and that they “need to fix this”.