GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Super Chief »

CDL is putting new bungalows in at Park and Cowling, also new signal at CP25.6 hot box detector. 302 went north last night at 8:00 pm. Noticed last week trains were coming down to Cowling during the night and parked awaiting a crew to go to Elkhart the next morning. Don't know if this is because of daytime work on signals but it must be a relief for Kazoo drivers not to have crossings blocked downtown in the morning.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Super Chief wrote:CDL is putting new bungalows in at Park and Cowling, also new signal at CP25.6 hot box detector. 302 went north last night at 8:00 pm. Noticed last week trains were coming down to Cowling during the night and parked awaiting a crew to go to Elkhart the next morning. Don't know if this is because of daytime work on signals but it must be a relief for Kazoo drivers not to have crossings blocked downtown in the morning.
I think that ended. 4206 and 4125 took a train south after 350 left town. 2204 was leading a second train behind them.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Been reported on another site, AN SW1200 710 in Grand Rapids at a agricultural facility? Anybody know where?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Stoneco stone yard on CSX off Market St at I-196. It's been there for a number of years.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Raildudes dad wrote:Stoneco stone yard on CSX off Market St at I-196. It's been there for a number of years.
The ex Appalachicola Northern dark blue switcher? Yeah, been there probably 15 years anyway.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Super Chief wrote:Been reported on another site, AN SW1200 710 in Grand Rapids at a agricultural facility? Anybody know where?
It's an SW9.

ImageCYDX SW9 #710 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

What does this have to do with GDLK operations?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

SD80MAC wrote:
Super Chief wrote:Been reported on another site, AN SW1200 710 in Grand Rapids at a agricultural facility? Anybody know where?
It's an SW9.

Guessing Super Chief thought the #710 may be on at agricultural facility in Grand Rapids that's served by GDLK. As we've figured out, it's used at the stone yard off Market St attached to CSX trackage. No harm no foul for asking on the GDLK thread.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

~Z~ wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:
It's an SW9.

Guessing Super Chief thought the #710 may be on at agricultural facility in Grand Rapids that's served by GDLK. As we've figured out, it's used at the stone yard off Market St attached to CSX trackage. No harm no foul for asking on the GDLK thread.
Is this easy to photograph?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

No, the new owners of the stone yard are not railfan friendly. This was taken a number of years ago with permission to be on the property.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the info on this unit. I thought GLLX Alco was their stone train switcher. So it was unknown to me. The hidden gems we have here just keep coming. I'll bet the Florida town she came from and the railroad are long gone from the hurricane.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The previous stone yard engine was GLLX GP18 #921

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Raildudes dad wrote:The previous stone yard engine was GLLX GP18 #921
What ever happened to that engine? That was the one from the coal mine correct?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Super Chief wrote:Thanks for the info on this unit. I thought GLLX Alco was their stone train switcher. So it was unknown to me. The hidden gems we have here just keep coming. I'll bet the Florida town she came from and the railroad are long gone from the hurricane.
The railroad stopper serving the namesake town years ago. In fact the railroad itself is not longer in business. It is currently, per Wikipedia, the AN Railway, a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming, which had taken over AN Railway parent Rail Management Corp in 2005.

The locomotive in question was retired along with all of the End Cab switchers on the line in 2005, the year G&W took control.

The railroad only extends now to Port St. Joe, Florida, but looking at Google maps, the presence in Port St. Joe from a business standpoint was minimal at best. You can see where there was substantial industry at one time, and now it is bare land or cement pads lacking the buildings that once stood. Doing a Google Maps trip along the line, I see a lot of nothing. The AN Railway has a significant track presence in Port St. Joe, along with an engine house. Something is missing, cars, locomotives and businesses mainly. Following the line the next place I see anything resembling activity is Telogia. North of there is a former industrial operating, but it looks abandoned. An unused team track in Greensboro. North of Greensboro is actual signs of railroad existence, with 8 cars, 7 I'm not sure what type and 1 empty bulkhead flat on the siding. These are a few miles south of Chattahooche, the location of the interchange with CSX. There is a substantial interchange yard, with 3 covered hoppers, a shot flat car, and 2 bulkhead flats on 1 cut. Further down is one of the other unidentified cars, plus 12 bulkhead type flats. This is all that is present in what can best be described as a yard that once was much busier than today.

Sadly, what was left of the railroad in Port St. Joe was likely heavily damaged. While not hit as hard as Mexico Beach, the damage in Port St. Joe was similar to Mexico Beach. The railroad, who was appear to serve the Port Authority likely will be severely hampered.

Additional note. The railroad was owned by the Port St. Joe Paper Company. When the paper mill closed, like so many others across the country, the railroad lost the vast majority of its customer base. This allowed for the retirement of the majority of locomotives including the one pictured above. They currently have 3 GP15T's on the roster, although 2 of them are painted for the G&W Bay Line.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

chapmaja wrote:
Twin Branch Coal Co. I believe that one is still at the stone yard in Lansing. North side of the CSX, and just west of Ensel Yard on MLK.

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

chapmaja wrote: the AN Railway, a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming
Last I checked the AN served a Georgia Pacific OSB mill a few miles north of Hosford, and that's about it.

The paper mill closed in 1999, and the Arizona chemical company closed in 2009. That was the end of service to Port St.Joe, it looked like so many other rust belt towns by then.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

chapmaja wrote:
921, the Miss Scarlet, is still earning her keep leased to the stone yard in Lansing.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

SD80MAC wrote:
chapmaja wrote:
921, the Miss Scarlet, is still earning her keep leased to the stone yard in Lansing.
Here is a 2016 photo.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Had reports that 4124 & 4125 were struggling up the hill north of Plainwell tonight. Probably wet leaves and tonnage equate to a hill climber.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

3 rail crossings are being replaced in Three Rivers this month. Starting today N. Main St. by Frankies, then downtown Michigan Ave. and finally S. Main St. by Triple Creek party store. All schedule to be finish by November 20th. Elk is keeping the infastructure maintained.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Super Chief wrote:3 rail crossings are being replaced in Three Rivers this month. Starting today N. Main St. by Frankies, then downtown Michigan Ave. and finally S. Main St. by Triple Creek party store. All schedule to be finish by November 20th. Elk is keeping the infastructure maintained.
Crosstown Parkway between Millard Court and Portage Street in KAL is also closed for “railroad repairs” according to the city. Started 10/29 and lasts until 11/5.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.