GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kd_1014
Mike

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Elkhart, IN railcam is on YouTube, with a west and a east facing cam.

https://youtu.be/PPbIeVerojQ

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

NB run had 4125 and 4189 with 36 cars.
admin edit: seen at 2:53pm northbound GDLK out of Elkhart.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Nice heads up with the new railcam.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Elk must be expecting a huge northbound train today. Went south thru TR at 12:20pm with 4-6axles. 4189,4209,4124 and 4225 coming to Elkhart now. Holiday switching can be unpredictable so better more power than less. Actually had a short train SB for this much power.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

It would be good if routine postings about train sightings are put in the "Train Location Updates" area instead.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Then they are buried in what street the GRE just crossed, the Huron and Eastern and where the center beams are parked in Grand Rapids.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Super Chief wrote:Elk must be expecting a huge northbound train today. Went south thru TR at 12:20pm with 4-6axles. 4189,4209,4124 and 4225 coming to Elkhart now. Holiday switching can be unpredictable so better more power than less. Actually had a short train SB for this much power.
North out of Elkhart about 4:45. Only 40 cars according to the YouTube chat.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

PatAzo wrote:Then they are buried in what street the GRE just crossed, the Huron and Eastern and where the center beams are parked in Grand Rapids.
Perhaps GDLK is big enough to have its own thread instead of being mixed in with other shortlines?

As for long term operations ... the signals seem to be complete at CP 14 and CP 16. The approach signal at 85E/85W remains the old spotlight signals (85W was lit green when I passed this afternoon). The installers have trailers parked at CP 14 with eight dwarf signals and the masts for four intermediates waiting to be installed. That should cover the remaining signals between CP 1 (formerly CP 95) and CP 14 (Vistula).

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Super Chief wrote:Elk must be expecting a huge northbound train today. Went south thru TR at 12:20pm with 4-6axles. 4189,4209,4124 and 4225 coming to Elkhart now. Holiday switching can be unpredictable so better more power than less. Actually had a short train SB for this much power.
I think those were the same four that came through Plainwell last Monday. I thought they were just moving a couple engines to Grand Rapids. Apparently not.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Grand Elk had an XPOlogistics double bottom semi hanging over their tracks just east of Bristol on the Indiana Toll Road Tuesday morning. Driver had minor injuries and train traffic was not affected as they had it cleaned up in a couple of hours.

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Noticed late last night that they had an occupancy at the approach blocks to Elkhart. Late local working or did the road train die down there?
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Occupancy showed tonight ... so I ran over and found a double ended train (engines at both ends) working local industries just east of CP 1.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

They had a crazy New Years with the accident with car in Portage and the semi dangling from the toll road overpass. Messed up all schedules. Northbound local was at Co-Alliance in Schoolcraft yesterday with a lot of cars including 10 empty centerbeams at 10:30am, very unusual but the customers got serviced as usual. Went to Gearhart at 11:00am and all power was out on the road. Terminal manager, roadmaster and trainmaster all had their hands full.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

I see CDL wrapped up new signals at Vistula and are now working on the ones just east of Bristol. NYC searchlights disappearing fast. That new 4 head dwarf has a red,amber,green and flashing red at bottom at Vistula.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Im inside the American Axle plant in Three Rivers and have noticed the rail spurs into here are rusty. Seems to me i started going by here about 1990 and the spurs back then had frt cars on them wonder if the GDLK could get some traffic out of here.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Doubtful. Trucks had a service advantage before precision scheduled railroading. The PSR class ones have even less interest in small shippers now.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

PatAzo wrote:Doubtful. Trucks had a service advantage before precision scheduled railroading. The PSR class ones have even less interest in small shippers now.
Outside of shipping cost (A major factor of shipping indeed), PSR would have less effect on shortlines serving customers vs a class 1. It may effect how shortlines get their cars, but once they are on the property its still a short line. In the GDLK's case once it is in the yard at Kalamazoo it gets sorted just like normal and then served. Getting the cars from NS, CSX, or CN however might become a more of an issue over time. Most GDLK customers are getting below 10 cars a day, with some getting 1-3 per switch less than 5 days a week.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

When American Axle was Continental Can Co. back in the day and 40ft. box cars were on the inside tracks. Three Rivers always had a switch engine stationed here thru the Conrail era. I rode with the engineer Roger Trattles into the buildings there. The north spur held 20 40fters. It was all the SW1 could do to pull out 20 loaded ones. After CCC it was Hydra-Matic and the outside yard was added because they added a coal car tipper, the highest enclosed building in the back and the outside tracks were for coal storage, the wax cars and the box cars. After American Axle bought it all that went dormant with just in time rolling down M-60 & I-94 to points east. The outside yard still has 2 tracks inside the gate. The last train to use that yard was a fibre optic trenching train with 2 old Southern Pacific SD9s when they were laying cable to Kazoo. Now the plant was converted to natural gas 20 years ago by AA so no need for the rail. If the yard was refenced GDLK could use it for whatever. Time will tell.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Southbound Grand Elk train hits car in Portage. Woman was on Vanderbilt at Midwest Fastners parked on tracks didn't see train. WWMT reporting it now.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Super Chief wrote:Southbound Grand Elk train hits car in Portage. Woman was on Vanderbilt at Midwest Fastners parked on tracks didn't see train. WWMT reporting it now.
https://wwmt.com/news/local/train-colli ... in-portage

"The 52-year-old Kalamazoo man driving the train was not injured."

I hope he had both hands on the steering wheel. :)
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.