GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Super Chief »

Crystal Flash trucks it in to Kazoo when I was in their yard. Also they fuel what engines are in GR there. No above ground storage or underground, pump direct into engines fuel tanks from truck.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

My apologies to Justalurker. I relied upon the following list published by the Michigan Railroads Association for the ENS number for GDLK. Apparently, their signs show a different number. Perhaps GDLK uses both the 800 and the 866 numbers? ENS signs are required to show the telephone number, so if their signs fail to show a telephone number, they are non-compliant. FRA mandated that the signs be posted by September 1, 2012.

I am shocked at how many railroad crossings do NOT have ENS signs posted at them, even though they are mandatory by federal law. Worse yet, the NS Michigan Line is a joke. The telephone number posted is for Amtrak (which now operates the line). But, if you call the Amtrak number, they will tell you that the crossing is NOT Amtrak's. I have experienced this several times in the last few months when I have reported crossing with false activations. Hate to think of the end result if I were reporting a car stuck on the tracks with one of the Wolverines soon due!

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mcol ... 5160_7.pdf

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Super Chief wrote:Crystal Flash trucks it in to Kazoo when I was in their yard. Also they fuel what engines are in GR there. No above ground storage or underground, pump direct into engines fuel tanks from truck.
Thanks.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

According to post on Indiana thread for CP 421 Grand Elk traffic is to run via Detroit as of 8/9. This was rumored before that as work ramps up on 421and changes already being made that Elks traffic would come from Detroit/Jackson into Gearhart. Probably night runs to stay out of Amtraks way. Also does anyone know are NS engines required to have any special equipment aboard to run on Amtrak or can they use any engine? Is the east end of the Michigan line like the west end where the Burns Harbor engines have to have IITCS equipment for the crossing protection?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

ITCS/PTC is not yet online East of BO Tower, so any units can run on the line without restriction.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Super Chief wrote:According to post on Indiana thread for CP 421 Grand Elk traffic is to run via Detroit as of 8/9. This was rumored before that as work ramps up on 421and changes already being made that Elks traffic would come from Detroit/Jackson into Gearhart. Probably night runs to stay out of Amtraks way. Also does anyone know are NS engines required to have any special equipment aboard to run on Amtrak or can they use any engine? Is the east end of the Michigan line like the west end where the Burns Harbor engines have to have IITCS equipment for the crossing protection?
So what does this mean, exactly, for the GDLK? Obviously, the Kalamazoo-Elkhart train won't run, but instead NS will just drop the traffic off at Gearhart?

A bit off topic, but before I ask the question I had in mind and possibly made myself look even more stupid than I already am, what exactly comes in off of the B34 local (or whoever it is) from Battle Creek? Are those from BC area customers who want their stuff shipped down the Elk to NS or are they cars that were forwarded from Jackson and not included on the B33?

If I remember correctly, the BC local arrives in Gearhart Yard sometime in the early afternoon and gets back to BC before 5 PM. Is this information still accurate?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

GDLK petitioned to remove the CTC system north of Elkhardt again,

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... nal-system

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

4189 work train spread ballast last night near Co-Alliance south of XY avenue. Sitting at CP Cowling this am with CN hoppers. So those new ties that have been there awhile are going to be used.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

501 past CP Sams 14:24 ,2 units leading 4002 & 3534, about 25 cars in between then 4017 & 2204 trailing so the local has more power than road train today.
This has something to do with work at 421 or a grain train at the Andersons. Will see if its the norm tomorrow.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

Anyone know what happened to that crappy geep #7030? I see
a WSOR SD-40 is assisting #3531 on the Wyoming yard transfer job.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

dave989 wrote:Anyone know what happened to that crappy geep #7030? I see
a WSOR SD-40 is assisting #3531 on the Wyoming yard transfer job.
Its probably hiding. Last time the Elk tried to get rid of that thing the Class 1's said the wheel flanges were too thin.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Word is the GP7u wasn't cutting it with the GP35 on the transfers to and from CSX so they are trying to keep an SD40 in GR to assist.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Where does the GDLK interchange with CN? Does their trackage go all the way down to E N Ave? I seen on another topic page that 105 switches Green Bay Packaging, but google maps shows a CN engine in the yard north of E N Ave.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think GDLK and CN interchange in Kalamazoo

As for GBP it was switched by both railroads. They used CN when they wanted good service and NS for lower price. I don't know what the arrangement is now.
Waddy wrote:Where does the GDLK interchange with CN? Does their trackage go all the way down to E N Ave? I seen on another topic page that 105 switches Green Bay Packaging, but google maps shows a CN engine in the yard north of E N Ave.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

This might seem like a stupid question to ask, but would anything ever warrant the reactivation of the interchange in Schoolcraft?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:This might seem like a stupid question to ask, but would anything ever warrant the reactivation of the interchange in Schoolcraft?
With CN's branch up to Kzoo, there's no reason to.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

While working dowtown G.R. today, I caught the GDLK transfer from Hughart to
Wyoming yard and it seems to be getting longer. Could it be that Grand Elk is increasing
its interchange with CSX. I know that they interchange with Marquette as well but
these transfer jobs seem to be increasing in length.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

dave989 wrote:While working dowtown G.R. today, I caught the GDLK transfer from Hughart to
Wyoming yard and it seems to be getting longer. Could it be that Grand Elk is increasing
its interchange with CSX. I know that they interchange with Marquette as well but
these transfer jobs seem to be increasing in length.
Not sure about the transfer jobs, but I caught an 80+ car SB GDLK about a week ago.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Anyone see those new, fairly large piles of what looks to be small stone or maybe sand on the South side of the Kalamazoo downtown area right next to the scrap metal place where they load gons?

Don't know if it has anything to do with the railroad or not, just interesting to see.

I still wonder if there is anything to that rumor of a stone yard East of Gearhart yard where the old paper mill used to be. Every time I drive by, there is no new developments, but haven't been by there in a few months.

David Lang

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Grand Elk is on the ground in Wyoming right at the 36th Street crossing. Looks like a couple coil cars are in a ditch.

From what the article said, it sounds like they rolled right over the derail placed in the area to protect MoW workers.

One of the crew received minor injuries.

http://woodtv.com/2017/10/04/36th-st-cl ... erailment/
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.