GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Super Chief »

302 has been a weird animal lately.They went south at 3:30 am the other morning. Also twice since the holidays they have had 2 light engine moves south to Elkhart. 502 southbound this morning had 6 centerbeams of lumber and 2 CN 60ft boxcars for the new customer in Elkhart. Of interest they had 1 coal car of huge coal nuggets like there used to be from out east, don't know what customer gets these? Maybe somebody in Bristol? Anyway they had 30+ cars with 4017 & 4002 doing the honors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The cars for the lumber company in Bristol have recently started coming from CSX in GR via Chicago.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

The Elk had a broken rail just south of the M-86 crossing in TR yesterday. Crews were reparing it today. So if 303 is turning in Kalamazoo could that make 302 the night train it is lately to Elkhart? Get the cars up there in Kazoo so 303 can take them back with them?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Current starting times.
302 1am

303 6am crew drives to Kazoo for reporting purposes then drives to GR.

501 7am

105 8:30 am

302 was 8600ft. today. Filled up the whole siding from Cowling to Park. 501 passed it at 12:30 pm at Cowling nb. They went dead yesterday so was twice as long at 40+ cars.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The 501 will have the 7030 (rebuilt GP7) in the lead this morning.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

PatAzo wrote:The 501 will have the 7030 (rebuilt GP7) in the lead this morning.
What time did they leave town? I heard something between 9 and 10 this morning that didn't sound like the usual Leslies that are on Elk power
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
PatAzo wrote:The 501 will have the 7030 (rebuilt GP7) in the lead this morning.
What time did they leave town? I heard something between 9 and 10 this morning that didn't sound like the usual Leslies that are on Elk power
They go on duty at 07:00. No idea when they left. 9-10 wouldn't be unheard of.

With as eclectic a fleet as WAMX provides the tone of the horn won't be a consistent indicator of which job it is.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

4125s horn sounds like a wounded goose you can't mistake that one.

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

Watch it there Super Chief, don't be knockin' that classic Burlington Northern horn :P

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Super Chief wrote:Current starting times.
302 1am

303 6am crew drives to Kazoo for reporting purposes then drives to GR.

501 7am

105 8:30 am

302 was 8600ft. today. Filled up the whole siding from Cowling to Park. 501 passed it at 12:30 pm at Cowling nb. They went dead yesterday so was twice as long at 40+ cars.
If these are train numbers (I am assuming they are), can someone tell me which ones go to Grand Rapids, an estimate of when they arrive and an estimate of when they depart? I've been trying to catch the Elk and get familiar with their operations but it seems like the only time I can catch them are on random moments. If this information can be found in the thread without going too far back could someone direct me?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The wiki works, too...take a look at the GDLK page, combine it with that post, then ask any remaining questions :P
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

303 is the road train from GR to Kazoo. There is no 503 anymore (GR local). Im not sure if any of Hughart yard movements are numbered. Remember these are crew numbers not train numbers with that said the same crew numbers are the train numbers for that day. We've had a 101 job all over the system at all hours but its still a Watco crew number. 303 is called for 6am but depending on the work load hard to say when the return trip will tie up in GR?
The crew for 303 still has to drive to Kazoo to log in and drive back to GR to get the train each day. This Watco thing started a week ago and I think they've went dead a couple of times.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

PatAzo wrote: They go on duty at 07:00. No idea when they left. 9-10 wouldn't be unheard of.

With as eclectic a fleet as WAMX provides the tone of the horn won't be a consistent indicator of which job it is.

Ain't that the truth...

Usually I can get (at least, in general) a good idea of who it is from the horn, but this one almost sounded like something off of a different road. I've never heard 7030 leading, much less actually started, the rare times I see her, so that's who I'm thinking it is, coupled with the timeframe Pat provided.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

What days of the week is 303 running?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Saturnalia wrote:What days of the week is 303 running?
Usually Monday-Friday.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I have noticed on my ATCS Monitor that GDLK has had a train at CP 95 for two days in Elkhart anyone know why.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So it sounds like to me its anyone's guess.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

GTW wrote:I have noticed on my ATCS Monitor that GDLK has had a train at CP 95 for two days in Elkhart anyone know why.
Gran trains out of White Pigeon usually have NS power. I've seen the GDLK crew drive to White Pigeon to pick up a train, then run the train to the outskirts of Elkhart and go dead waiting to get into the yard. They weren't in a hurry to re-crew it and left it set part of the weekend. Might be that. Might just be a bad track circuit.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Thanks for the information I just checked the ATCS and it still shows a train at CP 95. Might take a drive and see what's up with that.

Thanks

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The 4189 and 4124 are northbound at CP Park meeting the 4125, 4206 and 4190 headed south with a 302. If the indication at CP95 is gone it might have been them.

If you want to catch either one you've got time. Both trains are at CP Park. The switch won't operate power or hand. They are waiting for a maintainer.
Last edited by PatAzo on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.